Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 02:41 PM

4,234 posts, read 1,690,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Not really, since we're not even in the Top 10 poorest states.

https://www.fcnl.org/updates/2020-10...rest-states-us

Here's another top 10 list we didn't make:

https://kenyaprime.com/top-10-poorest-states-in-the-us/

This list has us as the 28th poorest state - which, last I checked, is slightly above average:

https://www.roadsnacks.net/poorest-states-in-america/

So how do we "define" (LITERALLY I tell you!) economic stagnation, if there is no evidence for such?

The only defining poverty around here is your total lack of receipts.

Don't worry, I know I won't get a rational or fact-based answer from you, as you don't seem to be capable of that. I know you'll just rant and rave about the roads, and how poor we all are and blah blah blah, sooo boring. (All the while failing to prove that we define poverty in the US, because the far more ho-hum reality is we are consistently rated as being middling economically.)

I just like to poke you every once in a while when I'm bored.

And no, not in that way.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, from 2010 to 2019 Rhode Island ranked 45th of 50 states for population growth at an average of .6%. That's 6/10 of 1%, and trailing handily such powerhouse states such as Alabama, Arkansas and Louisiana. If this doesn't meet with your definition of "stagnation", I'd be extremely curious to learn what does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 02:56 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Liberals don't like him, progressive's do.
This progressive doesn’t.

Old 02-06-2021, 02:58 PM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, from 2010 to 2019 Rhode Island ranked 45th of 50 states for population growth at an average of .6%. That's 6/10 of 1%, and trailing handily such powerhouse states such as Alabama, Arkansas and Louisiana. If this doesn't meet with your definition of "stagnation", I'd be extremely curious to learn what does.

But at least there are cars with South Dakota plates driving around the East Side.

Last edited by massnative71; 02-06-2021 at 03:10 PM..

Old 02-06-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But at least there are casrs with South Dakota plates driving around the East Side.
He probably just ran out of gas.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Not really, since we're not even in the Top 10 poorest states.

https://www.fcnl.org/updates/2020-10...rest-states-us

Here's another top 10 list we didn't make:

https://kenyaprime.com/top-10-poorest-states-in-the-us/

This list has us as the 28th poorest state - which, last I checked, is slightly above average:

https://www.roadsnacks.net/poorest-states-in-america/

So how do we "define" (LITERALLY I tell you!) economic stagnation, if there is no evidence for such?

The only defining poverty around here is your total lack of receipts.

Don't worry, I know I won't get a rational or fact-based answer from you, as you don't seem to be capable of that. I know you'll just rant and rave about the roads, and how poor we all are and blah blah blah, sooo boring. (All the while failing to prove that we define poverty in the US, because the far more ho-hum reality is we are consistently rated as being middling economically.)

I just like to poke you every once in a while when I'm bored.

And no, not in that way.
Between 2017-2019, tiny Rhode Island ranked 49th of 50 states for cumulative GDP growth, considered the truest measure of economic vibrancy, with a total of 1.2%. Again lagging behind the shining stars of Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas and West Virginia. For comparison the country's overall GDP grew by 7.5%. I'm actually beginning to experince an unaccustomed emotion toward Rhode Islanders: pity.

Last edited by PureBoston; 02-06-2021 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-06-2021, 06:16 PM

The trouble with the pervasive mentality of Rhode Island "Liberals" that taxes are good and Republicans are bad, is that you've ended up with too much of one and not enough of the other. Respectively of course .

Old 02-06-2021, 06:24 PM

And if you don't get to work on improving the climate for prospective employers, you're gonna have to start charging the pigeons rent. As CNBC explains: "Rhode Island finds itself in last place again. An all too familiar spot." You people just don't seem sophisticated enough to understand how badly you're being pummeled by every other state in attracting life-giving business. Complacency is a mortal sin in 2021 America.

Old 02-06-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Liberals don't like him, progressive's do.
Mayor Elorza is an intelligent and accomplished man worthy of respect in society. I'm willing to bet that he's hard working and honest as well. And likely, a nice guy. Doesn't mean he knows how to run a city. Reparations? In 2021? From a bankrupt city? Mark, isn't it?

Last edited by PureBoston; 02-06-2021 at 07:52 PM..

Old 02-07-2021, 04:44 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,725,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
The trouble with the pervasive mentality of Rhode Island "Liberals" that taxes are good and Republicans are bad, is that you've ended up with too much of one and not enough of the other. Respectively of course .
Here's my take as a Liberal turned Progressive having lived in RI for most of over 30 years:

One person's Rhode Island "Liberal" is another's "Conservative Democrat" & Rhode Island has plenty of those. And, they ain't liberal by any definition - unless of course the issue directly benefits them or their pocketbook. In which case they readily twist whatever they dimly understand of ideology like a pretzel, without much irony. This not so rare species populates much of North Providence, Johnston, Cranston & most of woodsy RI.

They should actually be Republicans, but in typical Rhode Island scratch my back style, there's still not enough "sumthin-sumthin-wet my beak" old school RI culture for them over there at the GOP. So they stay registered (in name only) Rhode Island democrats, where the power remains. For many of these counterfeit "Rhode Island Liberals", the last democratic president they actually voted for was Bill Clinton. And, many can still show you their "Vote for Reagan" pin in the Chrysler glove box. It's treasured nearly as much as their first union card.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:41 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,336,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Last I checked, I believe most or all of the top ones were deep red. I think Wyoming was up there as well?
Connecticut is one of the 11% states. You can’t get bluer than that. Wyoming is 9.7%. All the states worse than the Rhode Island 7.7% are red states. Tennessee, Alabama, Idaho, Missouri (senator Josh Hawley lol), Iowa. This is from The NY Times data that’s updated daily.

It shouldn’t be surprising that Rhode Island has lousy public health infrastructure. It’s a state with all the urban problems but without the northeast corridor affluence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: