Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 05:16 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I think Republicans have better chances at RI statewide office than that at the federal level. I think many in the state will not want to add more Republicans to the senate and congress. I think party affiliation matters much more for federal office.
I agree. I'm a Democrat who's much more likely to vote for a Republican on the local level than the national. That's when they become insane, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 05:21 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
You were right BTW, according to Channel 12 Fung is now considering running for the open seat.
I'm surprised, considering his wife can't pick up and move to Washington. And he always seemed more the administrative, gubernatorial type than a national legislator to me. But really, who else does the GOP have? No one with Fungs name recognition. He must be under tremendous pressure.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:02 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Jessica de la Cruz (R) has entered the race for the Congressional District #2 seat.

Seth Magaziner (D) is considering an exit from the gubernatorial race and entering the race for the Congressional District #2 seat. That's a big, recognizable name with deep pockets, and likely diminishes Republican chances significantly. I don't think Magaziner lives in district, but that's apparently not constitutionally required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Globe
Rhode Island’s Democratic establishment is scrambling to find a suitable successor for retiring US Representative James R. Langevin as the party faces the real threat of losing a seat in the moderate 2nd Congressional District to a Republican.

Powerbrokers within the party have spent the weekend attempting to convince state Treasurer Seth Magaziner, former CVS executive Helena Foulkes, and Secretary of State Nellie M. Gorbea to drop out of the crowded primary for governor in favor of a run for congress, arguing that any one of them could clear the emerging field of lesser-known Democrats expected to enter the race this week.
The Dems know they can lose this seat.

Last edited by ormari; 01-24-2022 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-24-2022, 07:06 AM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I agree. I'm a Democrat who's much more likely to vote for a Republican on the local level than the national. That's when they become insane, LOL.
Neither party has a monopoly on insane members. There's a handful of crazy Democrats. Several handfuls, actually.

I'm not sure if it is gerrymandering that keeps Republicans out of the congressional mix. But I have met an awful lot of people in Rhode Island who don't feel like they are represented by our congressional delegation. That's a problem.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:22 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Neither party has a monopoly on insane members. There's a handful of crazy Democrats. Several handfuls, actually.

I'm not sure if it is gerrymandering that keeps Republicans out of the congressional mix. But I have met an awful lot of people in Rhode Island who don't feel like they are represented by our congressional delegation. That's a problem.
A refreshing counterbalance to the collective mind.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:25 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Jessica de la Cruz (R) has entered the race for the Congressional District #2 seat.

Seth Magaziner (D) is considering an exit from the gubernatorial race and entering the race for the Congressional District #2 seat. That's a big, recognizable name with deep pockets, and likely diminishes Republican chances significantly. I don't think Magaziner lives in district, but that's apparently not constitutionally required.

The Dems know they can lose this seat.
I'm not certain that this was Mr. Magaziner's own idea. He's politically ambitious and may not have wanted to run afoul of his Party. At any rate, it's a great disservice to the voters of Rhode Island. He had far more to offer as governor than becoming another Ocean State Mannequin in Washington. I don't love him, but he'd be worlds above his predecessor. Interestingly, as I was articulating this thought, the same sentiment appeared next to me in a Boston Globe editorial. I don't love them either, but they're right.

Last edited by PureBoston; 02-04-2022 at 09:24 AM..

Old 02-12-2022, 04:24 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Former Cranston Mayor Allan Fung says he'll run for Congress

" "For now, just know that 'I’m back,' and we're going to work hard every single day to get our country back on track so that your family and mine can live the great American Dream," Fung said. "

https://twitter.com/AllanFungRI/stat...00425084305418

Old 02-12-2022, 04:50 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Republican Allan Fung joins a crowded field running for Congress. Can he make the case that he is qualified above the others to go to DC? Back-bencher Langevin has set a low bar, can we do better? We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island