Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 11:43 AM

42 posts, read 44,322 times

Advertisements

My friend is returning form working overseas and wants to live in downtown Providence. He is looking to (temporarily) live without a vehicle until the car market gets back to somewhat normalcy. From what I know about Providence I wouldn't consider this easily doable. I'm just looking to see if there is anyone here who is living or has lived successfully in Providence without a car in recent years.

Like I said, this would be a temporary (likely 6-12 months) situation. I guess the important things would be access to a grocery store and other essentials. I know Prov has buses and Amtrak is available as well, just not up to speed on some of the other details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 11:53 AM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Well you can get groceries delivered. I assume this person won't need to commute anywhere for work? It's doable, but certainly not ideal. Wouldn't want to be in that situation myself.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:38 PM

9,296 posts, read 14,911,147 times
I would pick Wayland Square or maybe Federal Hill to live in without an auto. Both have better walkable grocery & also have restaurant options.

However, if he gets groceries delivered, then downtown would work. The rest is going to be budget and availability- don't know if any downtown apts offer month to month leases. Otherwise, he's probably going to have to sign a year's lease.

Personally, I don't hold out hope that anything is going to be "back to normal" anytime soon- but that's just me!

Old 04-05-2022, 01:22 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
You might search an 8 block circle around the ES Market or Whole Foods - if your budget allows.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I would pick Wayland Square or maybe Federal Hill to live in without an auto. Both have better walkable grocery & also have restaurant options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
You might search an 8 block circle around the ES Market or Whole Foods - if your budget allows.

Neither of these places are downtown though. Parts of Federal Hill are close, but what grocery store can you walk to from there?

Old 04-05-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Neither of these places are downtown though. Parts of Federal Hill are close, but what grocery store can you walk to from there?
I said that's what I would pick- not that they are downtown.

Reading comprehension please.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I said that's what I would pick- not that they are downtown.

Reading comprehension please.
OP said they wanted to live downtown, and I wanted to clarify that where you recommended is a different area from downtown. I'm unsure as to why somebody would pick Wayland Square, if they specifically wanted to live downtown.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OP said they wanted to live downtown, and I wanted to clarify that where you recommended is a different area from downtown. I'm unsure as to why somebody would pick Wayland Square, if they specifically wanted to live downtown.
Guess you don't know the area very well.

Wayland Square has 2 groceries within walking distance and many apts. A lot of people who don't own cars live there.

Like I said before, he can live downtown, but he'll have to have food delivery.

I'm not going over the same ground again- the OP can read.

Old 04-05-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Guess you don't know the area very well.

Wayland Square has 2 groceries within walking distance and many apts. A lot of people who don't own cars live there.

Like I said before, he can live downtown, but he'll have to have food delivery.

I'm not going over the same ground again- the OP can read.

There is no need to get snippy with me. I was merely pointing out that Wayland Square is not downtown (an entirely separate area of the city for that matter), something that was not made clear by your initial post. It should also be made clear that there is no "real" grocery store in Federal Hill (I could be wrong, but since you failed to answer my question on that I assume not), a statement you made which could also be misleading to the OP. Over and done...

Old 04-05-2022, 04:49 PM

42 posts, read 44,322 times
Thanks for the responses so far. I am basically familiar with the city but not intimately or recently and my friend is from upstate NY. Yeah, Wayland is pretty far from downtown, closer to the river I think? I'm guessing a lot of Brown and other students live without cars but that's a little different than an independent adult. I'm also guessing the public transit system is not good but I've always driven in Providence so have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: