Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 11:22 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

Oh yuck. How Scotti prevailed in this, I do not know. The I195 commission had established height and size rules- now discarded for one man's vision of what should be built in our fair city????

What a debacle. I am really disappointed.

https://www.golocalprov.com/business...-Tower-Project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 11:28 AM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
It's about time.

Hope they get this built soon. The city badly needs the housing units it will offer.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:36 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Oh yuck. How Scotti prevailed in this, I do not know. The I195 commission had established height and size rules- now discarded for one man's vision of what should be built in our fair city????

What a debacle. I am really disappointed.

https://www.golocalprov.com/business...-Tower-Project
Unless I'm missing something, Scotti didn't prevail. He brought suit to stop it & lost.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,044 times
This won't ever be built so much hullabaloo about nothing. This is a very similar situation to 110 Westminster 15 years ago. By the time it cycled through the commission and hearings and political bureaucracy, we had a housing crisis and it died along with many other projects.

We are rapidly entering the next crisis as we speak. It won't look like the last one but the appetite for this development is gone without full subsidies.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:08 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Soul View Post
This won't ever be built so much hullabaloo about nothing.
We are rapidly entering the next crisis as we speak. It won't look like the last one but the appetite for this development is gone without full subsidies.
I tend to agree in the next 5 years. Queue up the Superman Building for subsidies. First & most important.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Unless I'm missing something, Scotti didn't prevail. He brought suit to stop it & lost.
You're right- not sure how I misread that.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
This won't ever be built so much hullabaloo about nothing. This is a very similar situation to 110 Westminster 15 years ago. By the time it cycled through the commission and hearings and political bureaucracy, we had a housing crisis and it died along with many other projects.

I hope you're right but I believe it was just approved to go ahead but who knows? I wish it would die a quick natural death and a more appropriate development that meets guidelines will be approved..

Old 06-23-2022, 02:14 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,901,623 times
Quote:

If that's true, then how come they're like totally, definitely, building the sooper dooper soccer stadium.....oh. Right.

Personally I think the thing looks completely out of place in Providence, but I never considered myself an "expert" when it comes to architecture.

I'll leave that to the high falootin' erudite individuals who know better.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:53 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I hope you're right but I believe it was just approved to go ahead but who knows? I wish it would die a quick natural death and a more appropriate development that meets guidelines will be approved..
This just means he's cleared one of the final permitting approvals to go ahead, but many approved projects never see the light of day. Before anything else happens, Fane first has to actually buy the land which something he's put off for some time while awaiting the approvals (and the court's decision). My guess is that the closing on the property should happen relatively quickly now, but even that's a long way from a groundbreaking ceremony.

But the big factor here is going to be obtaining financing for the project. This isn't Boston or New York where there's a laundry list of comparable projects that a lender can point to for precedent. New 1br condos in Providence aren't regularly and quickly selling for $800k and up. Fane is also not Tishman Speyer or the Related Group. His portfolio is limited to a single major tower in Toronto (and Providence isn't Toronto) and some smaller projects in New York. So lenders will also have to take that into account when deciding on whether or not to fund this. Finally, interest rates, material costs, and labor costs are also much higher than when this was originally proposed. In short, financing this is nowhere near sure thing. In fact, I'd wager he's going to have a hard time selling this to banks.

Frankly, I'd be pretty surprised if this is built as proposed. But we'll see.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:12 PM

Providence Preservation Society has come out again against it.....

This disappointing news is a green light for the final sale agreement for Parcel 42 and the building of a grossly inappropriate 46-story, luxury residential tower on the west side of the Providence River. We will continue to closely watch this development. Please visit our website for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island