Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:06 PM

108 posts, read 181,735 times

Advertisements

Another ranking putting providence as one of the top cities to live!

#2 - Providence , RI - Top 10 Best Downtowns 2014 | Livability
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 PM

9,280 posts, read 14,894,337 times
I think a point here needs some correction. The median home price is currently $143,200. However, this figure is quite misleading since you'd have a hard time finding a house worth buying in a decent area under 300. You'd also be very hard pressed to buy a condo that's at least 1000 sq ft under 200k downtown.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 AM

8,001 posts, read 4,689,663 times
Interesting kudos. Downtown seems to get tons of good press from afar. That should suggest to the naysayers here they take a closer look at what is under their noses. The potential of Downtown as place to live is enormous. However, as sited by Holly, its is expensive, and getting more so. Waterplace is almost sold out with condo fees alone running from $600 per month up. That indicates there is tremendous demand by people - with money - who could live almost anywhere else in RI, but choose Downtown. It's certainly the current fashion.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 AM

4,364 posts, read 3,188,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think a point here needs some correction. The median home price is currently $143,200. However, this figure is quite misleading since you'd have a hard time finding a house worth buying in a decent area under 300. You'd also be very hard pressed to buy a condo that's at least 1000 sq ft under 200k downtown.
I guess the East side is the only decent area then. Throughout the rest of Providence, the majority of houses are WELL under 299k. In fact, it would probably be harder to find houses for sale above 300k. Even Elmhurst only has a few. I suspect the only reason $143 is listed as the median is because they rolled in the East Side into their figure, which the MLS doesn't do - in 2012, the median in the rest of Providence was to 90k (per RI Housing).

Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 AM

I think there have been movements to improve parts of the city worth improving like Broadway, Federal Hill,
and areas around Edgewood proper but it's been really slow. Even Mt Hope on the east side has not improved as fast as many thought back in the 80s. You'd think these small sections would have come up by now, but the pace of change can be very slow here, which is sometimes good but often bad! True that downtown has been the major focus lately. We have a whole waterfront that should be reclaimed- looks like the only movement on that will be Kettle Pt in EP slated to start late 2014.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:49 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Interesting kudos. Downtown seems to get tons of good press from afar. That should suggest to the naysayers here they take a closer look at what is under their noses. The potential of Downtown as place to live is enormous. However, as sited by Holly, its is expensive, and getting more so. Waterplace is almost sold out with condo fees alone running from $600 per month up. That indicates there is tremendous demand by people - with money - who could live almost anywhere else in RI, but choose Downtown. It's certainly the current fashion.
The ultimate manifestation of the viability of downtown as a booming place to live is the investment in new residential construction in the heart of downtown.

I beg to differ -- I don't consider the new construction at Waterplace as being truly downtown. It is barricaded from the city proper by major arterials and a river, and is wedged next to the Amtrak station, the PP mall and the State House. There is no retail commerce there, the only commercial enterprise is a dry cleaner. And Ruth Chris. It doesn't share the fabric to true downtown.

And I suspect one reason for its popularity is it has underground parking, something most grand buildings downtown do not have.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 AM

Assuming that what you mean by true downtown is closer to the Arcade, many of the upper floors of those buildings are residential living spaces already. The PPS has good tours of these periodically. Like the article said over 4000 people live downtown and I presume by now it's more than that.

I am not in favor of tearing down any historic buildings in favor of new residential construction if that's what you are suggesting. The existing buildings are the fabric of this historic city.

The jewelery district is also downtown and is well occupied.

Waterplace park is certainly downtown as far as the vast majority are concerned.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Assuming that what you mean by true downtown is closer to the Arcade, many of the upper floors of those buildings are residential living spaces already. The PPS has good tours of these periodically. Like the article said over 4000 people live downtown and I presume by now it's more than that.

I am not in favor of tearing down any historic buildings in favor of new residential construction if that's what you are suggesting. The existing buildings are the fabric of this historic city.

The jewelery district is also downtown and is well occupied.

Waterplace park is certainly downtown as far as the vast majority are concerned.
No, don't touch a single building! There are plenty of parking lots begging for a building, so certainly there'd be no need to tear down anything.

I don't consider Waterplace as being downtown because there is no social vibrancy, or even people on the street. It is an island community. But, that all depends on how one defines the function of a downtown area.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 AM

Plenty of parking lots?? Would love to know exactly where the unneeded parking lots are!

Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Plenty of parking lots?? Would love to know exactly where the unneeded parking lots are!
Looking from the sky, it seems half of downtown is open air parking.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island