Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 AM

23,624 posts, read 18,749,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Congratulations. I'm pretty sure you're the only person who's ever come up with a definition that would classify Coventry, RI as "urban".

Most surburban places in RI (not rural, but town) are serviced by mailmen who walk from house to house.
I'm not familiar with Coventry. But I do believe it has urban areas (like bordering West Warwick on the eastern end). Of course western Coventry is rural.

Quote:
This link goes to the 1930 Census, but I can't figure out the relevant page?
Gee, I don't know how that happened. Let me see if I can find the right link...
This shows it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbaniz..._United_States

Quote:
Gansett Ave? What's the matter with Gansett Ave. It's the same as it's always been. Do you mean Cranston St?
No I mean Gansett Ave., at least much of it anyway.

Last edited by massnative71; 04-21-2014 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,057,078 times

Gansett Ave in Cranston? Ghetto? Strange concept. I would have thought by your skewed definiton of ghetto that this area would not fit in. Still mostly Italian, white, single family, etc. Very few inferiors, in your apparent definition, walking around the Bain Middle School track. I can't even fathom any section of this part of Cranston being ghetto? But, you define things differently then I do.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:05 AM

50 posts, read 62,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post

Gansett Ave in Cranston? Ghetto? Strange concept. I would have thought by your skewed definiton of ghetto that this area would not fit in. Still mostly Italian, white, single family, etc. Very few inferiors, in your apparent definition, walking around the Bain Middle School track. I can't even fathom any section of this part of Cranston being ghetto? But, you define things differently then I do.
I agree. That part of cranston is your typical working class area. Not in any way does is resemble a "ghetto". Last time I checked a few years back Cranston as a whole was rated the 24th safest city in the country.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Plainfield St., Gansett Av., Cranston St., Webster Av., Union Av., Silver Lake. Take a drive through, make sure your windows are up and your doors are locked. This is what "conditioning" does to some folks' perspective after they've lived in RI for too long. Potters Av. on the other side of Rt. 10 is pretty special too; then you have Praire Av., Broad St. Some nice multi family properties over there too.

Geez Louise, get a grip.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 AM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
Are we talking about the same Gansett Ave? Where the middle school track and field is, where Young Singh is?

Why would I have to roll up my windows there? I go walking at that track sometimes or enter the bike path over there and have never had any problems.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Plainfield St., Gansett Av., Cranston St., Webster Av., Union Av., Silver Lake. Take a drive through, make sure your windows are up and your doors are locked. This is what "conditioning" does to some folks' perspective after they've lived in RI for too long. Potters Av. on the other side of Rt. 10 is pretty special too; then you have Praire Av., Broad St. Some nice multi family properties over there too.

Geez Louise, get a grip.
Liked the term you used conditioning for people who have never left R.I. Before really fits the bill. And you can't forget about the notorious Public St to throw in that list of streets to "roll you windows up and lock your doors". Lol

Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Are we talking about the same Gansett Ave? Where the middle school track and field is, where Young Singh is?

Why would I have to roll up my windows there? I go walking at that track sometimes or enter the bike path over there and have never had any problems.
You do not have to roll you windows up when driving through any of those streets, ive been down them many times day and night no worries. I think QuilterChick was being sarcastic i hope.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 AM

8,030 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI_Host City Crossroads View Post
You do not have to roll you windows up when driving through any of those streets, ive been down them many times day and night no worries. I think QuilterChick was being sarcastic i hope.
She can be very informative regarding the suburbs, but with an aggressive anti-urban bias. Irony isn't really her strong suit, but who knows? I hope she was being sarcastic also!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Not being anti-urban at all. There are some decent urban areas in RI; but the ones I would recommend to folks, depending on their criteria of where to live, would definitely not be any of the locations I mentioned. I did forget the Eddy St. / Public St. area -- always been run down, always will be. Other areas have gone from bad to worse over the years, and I'm up there often enough to see for myself.

No matter what neighborhood folks want to defend or promote, it's all about perspective and experience.
But this topic is close to being "my bike is better than your bike" foolishness. Have a great day!

Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 PM

8,030 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Not being anti-urban at all. There are some decent urban areas in RI; but the ones I would recommend to folks, depending on their criteria of where to live, would definitely not be any of the locations I mentioned. I did forget the Eddy St. / Public St. area -- always been run down, always will be. Other areas have gone from bad to worse over the years, and I'm up there often enough to see for myself.

No matter what neighborhood folks want to defend or promote, it's all about perspective and experience.
But this topic is close to being "my bike is better than your bike" foolishness. Have a great day!
Defining "Urban" as a dense city environment composed of an ethnically and income diverse population. Which areas in Rhode Island would you recommend as "decent" to folks??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island