Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2024, 10:02 PM

17,777 posts, read 9,221,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Link always worked, I always double check before I post.
No it didn't. You are not being truthful. You edited your post to remove the ": ok:" (without the space) after ".html". A moderator can confirm you edited it. And massnative71 quoted your original post...with the broken link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 10:07 PM

23,626 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Did somebody say integrity?

Old 03-25-2024, 04:12 AM

8,030 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Did somebody say integrity?
Certainly not you.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:22 AM

9,300 posts, read 14,916,355 times
I just read that link provided by Jtwinz and noticed that they mixed up a picture of Pawtuxet Village with Pawtucket.
And the description of Pawtucket sounds like they've never been there. Did anyone actually visit downtown Pawtucket- it's a ghost town- and they're about to close the City Hall due to deferred maintenance.

However, overall, it's interesting to see how much things have changed since the thread began in 2014. Some would think houses can still be bought here cheaply in good areas. In Barrington right now (being the Spring- a big selling seaso), only one house (very small & in a flood zone) is under 400k. Virtually everything else is 660k to multi-millions and all have the taxes to match.

I think more and more that RI is a study in contrasts- some wonderful, beautiful, and very expensive places to live, not a lot of good middle class sections, and a lot of poor crime ridden urban areas. Not too different from a lot of other places in the US.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:25 AM

12,877 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I just read that link provided by Jtwinz and noticed that they mixed up a picture of Pawtuxet Village with Pawtucket.
And the description of Pawtucket sounds like they've never been there. Did anyone actually visit downtown Pawtucket- it's a ghost town- and they're about to close the City Hall due to deferred maintenance.

However, overall, it's interesting to see how much things have changed since the thread began in 2014. Some would think houses can still be bought here cheaply in good areas. In Barrington right now (being the Spring- a big selling seaso), only one house (very small & in a flood zone) is under 400k. Virtually everything else is 660k to multi-millions and all have the taxes to match.

I think more and more that RI is a study in contrasts- some wonderful, beautiful, and very expensive places to live, not a lot of good middle class sections, and a lot of poor crime ridden urban areas. Not too different from a lot of other places in the US.
No, it was written by someone who has likely never been. The "author" writes similar articles for places all over North America. I sincerely doubt they spent any time in Pawtucket experiencing it first hand. It looks like they did some googling, grabbed some stock images (including the mix up between Pawtucket and Pawtuxet Village), and punched some info into an AI text generator and pressed "publish."

Things have definitely changed since 2014. Especially in the housing market. But RI still has an advantages and appeal for people living in even more competitive markets. It's tough to beat the coastline and access to the coastline. Providence, warts and all, is an outstanding city and a much more down-to-earth alternative to Boston. I remember talk of Providence and Rhode Island as a destination for Boston workers for a long time, but the commute is just a little too rough for most people. But with hybrid and remote work taking hold, it's far more appealing that crowd.

I don't think RI is too unique with it's pockets of blighted/rough urban areas. Par for the course for much of the country and particularly the northeast and midwest. It definitely falls short on the middle class front. The elephant in the room is that while prices are still relatively low compared to Boston or New York, they're out of reach for a growing number of Rhode Islanders. Middle class communities were limited to begin with and are becoming even more scarce now. But that's also becoming the norm in many metro areas.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:55 PM

Quote:
FYI it's even $hittier now.

sandsonik, I can't help but notice the crickets. I take it you no longer walk the track there? If so, I wouldn't recommend you start again (if you know what I mean).

Old 03-26-2024, 06:58 AM

5,243 posts, read 6,156,300 times
Providence is definitely improving but it takes time.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:32 AM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
Quote:
sandsonik, I can't help but notice the crickets. I take it you no longer walk the track there? If so, I wouldn't recommend you start again (if you know what I mean).
What track? In Pawtuxet Village? The park?

Old 03-26-2024, 10:37 AM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
No it didn't. You are not being truthful. You edited your post to remove the ": ok:" (without the space) after ".html". A moderator can confirm you edited it. And massnative71 quoted your original post...with the broken link.
He didn't remove the ok. The thumbs up emoji is still there.

Seems somehow the link was including the script for it.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
What track? In Pawtuxet Village? The park?

By the middle school off Gansett Ave.. I believe you at one point claimed to go walking there, and challenged my assessment that the neighborhood was going down the drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island