Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 08:15 AM

4,226 posts, read 1,671,575 times

Advertisements

We have to ask ourselves if we'd be willing to pay the higher prices that theses smaller chains would have to charge if any of them came back. The fact that we weren't originally inclined to do so may point to the answer. The American shopper is extremely discriminating in regard to price. Seriously, cannot pennies for a gallon of gasoline influence our buying decision? Our first loyalty appears to be our wallets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2023, 08:21 AM

5,105 posts, read 2,663,898 times
These places didn't attract high rollers when they were around. They were discount department stores. They were steamrolled by big globalist importers of Chinese slave made goods. I feel that with the right business model and products they could be successful. Even if some of the prices were slightly higher for a wider range of goods that come from a wider range of places. I think a lot of people are sick of being monopolized by China and disgusted with supporting their working conditions.

Old 01-01-2023, 08:50 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Totally agree with you, nostalgia is for those of us who grew grow up in Rhode Island many years ago. Ann & Hope, Almac’s, Benneys, Zayres and Grossmans Lumber are a few of the stores that were RI staples.

Just like so many long term mom and pop RI restaurant institutions closing down, you can certainly revive the name but the business will never be like the oringinals.
Very true. The business would never be like the originals.

Old 01-01-2023, 08:57 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Much rather see Bradlees or Stuarts come back. Ames was always kinda lame.
I can't place Stuarts. Were they in the RI and SE Mass area?

Old 01-01-2023, 09:10 AM

4,226 posts, read 1,671,575 times
Quote:
These places didn't attract high rollers when they were around. They were discount department stores. They were steamrolled by big globalist importers of Chinese slave made goods. I feel that with the right business model and products they could be successful. Even if some of the prices were slightly higher for a wider range of goods that come from a wider range of places. I think a lot of people are sick of being monopolized by China and disgusted with supporting their working conditions.
Maybe. Any product that they chose to carry though, from any source or origin, can be sold cheaper by the big boys. Brand loyalty would have to trump wallet loyalty. I've always thought that we should have protected our domestic manufacturing capability, probably in the minority on this, but that particular ship has long since sailed. And nobody, but nobody, thanks us more profusely than the Asians. We've left the Chinese in particular, with an enormously unfair advantage. These are bigger questions far beyond the scope of this thread.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can't place Stuarts. Were they in the RI and SE Mass area?
I don't know. They were plentiful in Greater Boston though.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Maybe. Any product that they chose to carry though, from any source or origin, can be sold cheaper by the big boys. Brand loyalty would have to trump wallet loyalty. I've always thought that we should have protected our domestic manufacturing capability, probably in the minority on this, but that particular ship has long since sailed. And nobody, but nobody, thanks us more profusely than the Asians. We've left the Chinese in particular, with an enormously unfair advantage.
Yes, but there are many products out there that aren't carried by "the big boys" and are of higher quality. The big boys trade in dirt-cheap chinaware. Even finding Japanese products is a challenge using them. I remember being a kid and hearing older people gripe about things made in Japan. Japan could now be considered a high end import compared to the stuff from China. It's like getting something from Germany. lol

Old 01-01-2023, 09:25 AM

5,178 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Unfortunately I think the days of customer loyalty to certain brand name stores is fading away in this day and age. Growing up in the 60’s and 70’s there wasn’t much competition for stores like Ann & Hope, Bennys, etc. Maybe Sears but that was a different type of shopping.

Right now with prices the way they are my wife has no loyalty to any one grocery store but rather shops where the dollar goes the farthest. I am the same way with Lowes, Home Depot or Ace. Quality is always first but after that it is where I can get the best price.

Times are changing, those days where my dad visited the same salesmen at the lumber yard or dealership are long gone.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:29 AM

5,178 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Quote:
Yes, but there are many products out there that aren't carried by "the big boys" and are of higher quality. The big boys trade in dirt-cheap chinaware. Even finding Japanese products is a challenge using them. I remember being a kid and hearing older people gripe about things made in Japan. Japan could now be considered a high end import compared to the stuff from China. It's like getting something from Germany. lol
My dad among others in his generation served in WWII in the Pacific and saw a lot of action and I know quality aside for many of his generation purchasing anything manufactured in Japan was a big no.

Old 01-01-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
My dad among others in his generation served in WWII in the Pacific and saw a lot of action and I know quality aside for many of his generation purchasing anything manufactured in Japan was a big no.
Right but while that attitude may have fit within the context of those times, it does not apply in the world we're in now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island