Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 02:13 PM

23,840 posts, read 19,008,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Personal experience is what I have. Do you have superior first hand experience being a non-resident?
"Personal experience"??? Did you attend or ever work at the Providence Police Academy? You don't strike me as a cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 02:14 PM

23,840 posts, read 19,008,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Then you got better police protection than myself and my neighbors. Can go forever around here without seeing any patrols, either car or on foot or bike (that's neighborhood policing to me). I used to see mounties on Blackstone Blvd but no longer.
He's talking about the Buddy years. Were you even in Providence yet???

Old 09-08-2023, 02:59 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,248,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Unlike you, I've lived in Providence and I've dealt with the noise. At one of my apartments, the people upstairs BLARED Hispanic music from 8:00 am until 8:00 pm every single day for a year. Thankfully it was only one year, but that year was a living hell. On top of the music, they were extremely filthy people...cockroaches were coming through the ceiling. And on top of that, the lady upstairs had many different men coming and going all throughout the night.
So why are you arguing with him when he says people move because of noise, when you've had a similar experience?

I remember when he made the move due to noise. Y'all made fun of him back then.

Old 09-08-2023, 03:10 PM

13,001 posts, read 22,191,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
So why are you arguing with him when he says people move because of noise, when you've had a similar experience?

I feel like noise is a pretty common reason for moving from or avoiding an area. I've seen many threads here on CD where people complain about or ask questions about all sorts of noise - road noise, noise due to proximity to airports, noise from railroad tracks, noise from nearby restaurants/bars/clubs, etc. Loud music at all hours of the night would certainly fall into the "disruptive noise" camp.

Old 09-08-2023, 03:21 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,997,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
"Personal experience"??? Did you attend or ever work at the Providence Police Academy? You don't strike me as a cop.
You have a tendency to jump to conclusions- always wrong conclusions. Of course I'm not a cop- are you? And I was here before Buddy was elected- not that it's your business.

Old 09-08-2023, 03:23 PM

18,139 posts, read 9,456,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Pretty sure that was in the early 90s. And I'd guess the real reason was because he was finished renovating and it was time to sell.

Old 09-08-2023, 06:22 PM

4,237 posts, read 1,705,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Next they'll start in on school teachers. Always makes me wonder what indispensable service to society they, themselves render. And the PPD puts out a bio of the young men and women entering the academy to begin their careers of public service. It's not hard to find online and their accomplishments and qualifications are simply outstanding. The vast majority have college degrees with many veterans and bilingual speakers. These are sharp young men and women. Providence residents should consider themselves extremely fortunate.

Last edited by PureBoston; 09-08-2023 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-09-2023, 03:59 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,747,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Next they'll start in on school teachers. Always makes me wonder what indispensable service to society they, themselves render. And the PPD puts out a bio of the young men and women entering the academy to begin their careers of public service. It's not hard to find online and their accomplishments and qualifications are simply outstanding. The vast majority have college degrees with many veterans and bilingual speakers. These are sharp young men and women. Providence residents should consider themselves extremely fortunate.
I don't think anyone is bashing public service. Certainly not me. But, it's hard for even the best qualified police & educators to overcome mediocre or poor leadership. For all of his faults, Mayor Cianci was a leader who understood police were instrumental in providing a better urban quality of life for residents. One they would choose above others, rather than simply accept for lack of options. And, it wasn't necessarily only about fighting crime.

Last edited by independent man; 09-09-2023 at 04:24 AM..

Old 09-09-2023, 04:08 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,747,710 times
Quote:
Pretty sure that was in the early 90s. And I'd guess the real reason was because he was finished renovating and it was time to sell.
And, I'd guess, as usual, you are either lying or ignorant. Doesn't matter which, and likely both. Since "slumlord" wasn't working, you have decided to try "flipper". Good luck with that.

Old 09-09-2023, 04:38 AM

18,139 posts, read 9,456,266 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
And, I'd guess, as usual, you are either lying or ignorant. Doesn't matter which, and likely both. Since "slumlord" wasn't working, you have decided to try "flipper". Good luck with that.
I was being polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island