Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 04:18 PM

29 posts, read 121,521 times

Advertisements

Hey there. New to town and seeking info on beaches that are relatively close to Providence and accessible by public transport or that I can pedal to....Would prefer beaches not inundated with tourists during summer months (ie Newport) or creative strategies for avoiding the throngs in those towns (for example is Newport significantly less crowded during the week or not so much....)
....Salt water preferred as well but I am not that picky about that factor...Would prefer a beach I could get to within a half hour if I am taking public transport, an hour or so biking (or a combination of the two)....I know of the RIPTA bus that goes along the coast to Newport but Newport is well over an hour and a half without traffic....and that ride really sucks...so I was wondering if any of those other towns along the way are worth checking out for beaches (eg Warren....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
Colt State Park in Bristol is on the bikepath and is beautiful. It has some small, little-wave beaches. RIPTA runs some beach buses in the summer for a special fare, or you can take the 14 to Narragansett Beach for the normal $1.50.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:29 PM

67 posts, read 266,898 times
maybe someone could help me out here- a looooong time ago, i went with a friend to a small lake, or maybe it was a big pond. i want to say it was somewhere near north providence, there was a little beach, a lot of people swimming, even a rope swing, does anyone have any idea where i was? maybe that would be in cycling distance.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:40 AM

774 posts, read 2,383,491 times
There are two options:

(1). Most likely it was Lincoln Woods which is right off Rte 146 near the North Providence line.

(2). It also could have been Twin Rivers which is located on Douglas Ave. again near North Providence. This was renovated about 15 years ago and has a very small recreation area.

Mikey

Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Well, that's probably where it was, it was so long ago. I know when I think of beaches in RI, I think of south county, but is this lincoln woods place good? I mean do people still go there and swim?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:24 AM

774 posts, read 2,383,491 times
Well... good is a relative term.... I don't like it that's what you're asking.

When my kids were little, we'd often take them to Oakland Beach in Warwick. That's not great either but it's fairly quick to get to and the area is bigger.

If you've got the time (and gas), it's better to go to one of the South County beaches....there are several to choose from.

Mikey

Old 06-10-2008, 06:57 AM

688 posts, read 2,135,600 times
In case it's still of interest I can't really recommend the Warren Town beach. Granted, it's probably not very crowded and it is conveniently close to the bikepath or the bus route but it's also quite close to the sewage treatment plant and the marinas. So swimming wouldn't be an option in my opinion. The actual beach part is very small, too, it's just a couple yards of sand and grass.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
Lincoln Woods is beautiful, and yes lot's of people still swim there, it's one of the cleanest lakes in the state.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvGuy View Post
Lincoln Woods is beautiful, and yes lot's of people still swim there, it's one of the cleanest lakes in the state.
well then, i guess this could be a closer option for the op if she wanted to do a closer-to-providence beach day rather than trekking down to narragansett or newport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island