Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 03:36 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,684,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Reading the first post, pets immediately came to mind. Our town is extremely pet friendly and that is a big draw for the tourists and locals to have the ability to take their pets to restaurants that offer outdoor seating.
My town is "extremely" pet friendly also. The main deli even has a side of sliced cheese available near the counter for customer dog treats. Occasionally, small dogs can even be seen sitting outside in chairs at the tables. But, I can understand where this would be off putting to some. While my dogs are too ill behaved & never been in a place of commerce, I've been in pet friendly stores where dog owners have been given the stink eye by other customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 06:55 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
But, I can understand where this would be off putting to some. While my dogs are too ill behaved & never been in a place of commerce, I've been in pet friendly stores where dog owners have been given the stink eye by other customers.
I think this hints at one of the issues. You're a responsible owner who knows your dogs' limitations and acts accordingly. There are enough dog owners out there who don't do that. And they'll bring their anxious, aggressive, loud, hyperactive, etc. dog to a public place where it barks constantly, growls, jumps on people, etc. It's unfair to other guests and it's unfair to the dogs themselves. I've seen plenty of this, unfortunately. I've also seen it, arguably worse, with children (another hot topic).

Our approach is to only take ours to places that are actively pet friendly. Specifically, places that regularly post pictures of the canine visitors on social media, have water bowls stacked up next to outside tables, pet stores that put treats out for dogs, etc. It can be a lot of fun (our dogs love it). We haven't done box stores. I think most of those don't allow them (Petco, Petsmart, Home Depot and Lowe's being exceptions). Target and Walmart do not allow pets, but I don't think their staff typically have the will or bandwidth to confront people with dogs. As much as I love my dogs, I respect their policies and am not going to put some floor manager in the position of having to either confront me or pretend not to see my dogs walking through the store.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:01 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
My town is "extremely" pet friendly also. The main deli even has a side of sliced cheese available near the counter for customer dog treats. Occasionally, small dogs can even be seen sitting outside in chairs at the tables. But, I can understand where this would be off putting to some. While my dogs are too ill behaved & never been in a place of commerce, I've been in pet friendly stores where dog owners have been given the stink eye by other customers.
This is interesting: treats for dogs in the deli?
For some reasons feel pity for people who take their dogs everywhere, including grocery shopping.

Needy dogs are annoying; needy people who humanize pets and insist on taking them everywhere as their “children” annoy more

If the dogs are well behaved and trained properly - it would bother me in the outdoor dining situation.

Back to outdoor dining if in urban setting - I think small fare like a coffee/pastry, a drink with the small snack is conducive to being outside and watching people.

However, I never understand how people could eat a full meal outside :dust, food getting cold, insects, birds flying overhead, passersby looking at your food and you eating ..

Unless one is on the porch, somewhat secluded with pretty views - then I am game!

Old 02-13-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I like eating outside whenever comfortable. I don't know too many people who would disagree that natural settings like the oceanfront are ideal for it (Matunuck Oyster Bar is probably my favorite ocean front spot in RI). But I'm always impressed with what people can do with the space they have to work with. Los Andes has an amazing patio that you wouldn't expect from the unassuming facade. The small bars/restaurants at 425 Fountain have great little patios right in the parking lot. All pleasant spots to be outside weather permitting (a few have heaters to extend the season). A pleasant sidewalk, some chairs, and a decent menu is sometimes all you need too. All of the seats were full on the sidewalk outside of Amy's Place on Wickenden during brunch hours yesterday even though it was in the mid-40s. Nothing fancy there.

Still, I prefer something that offers a bit of a buffer from traffic and at least some hint of effort to improve the aesthetic. I'm not a huge fan the "patios" in parking spaces that are nothing more than some plastic barriers and a couple of tables on the road. A different ground surface (some decking, or even just some astro turf) and a physical barrier that's high enough to wall diners off from the cars and activity on the other side goes a long way to making the experience better. You'll find these all over NYC and they're outstanding (many even have heaters). Hopefully any restaurant-friendly legislation will encourage restaurants to invest in more permanent setups that diners will enjoy (and hopefully longer than June-September).
Thank you; will try all the places you have mentioned where I haven’t been yet.
Agree, that this law may lead to better sitting outside arrangements - RI seasons could be short without patio heaters and some sort of enclosure for windy days.

(I do like Matunuck Oyster Bar outside)

PS. Can’t believe that CT pre—emptied RI and announced itself a food capital of New England.
Think, it could be argued, will see if this legislation helps RI even more to get people back into the restaurants as well as more tourists to visit

Old 02-13-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Back to outdoor dining if in urban setting - I think small fare like a coffee/pastry, a drink with the small snack is conducive to being outside and watching people.

However, I never understand how people could eat a full meal outside :dust, food getting cold, insects, birds flying overhead, passersby looking at your food and you eating.
I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. I agree with the cafe culture point. A coffee and pastry outside is super nice. I think a beer or a cocktail on a nice evening is super pleasant too. I can understand why someone wouldn't want to eat a whole meal outside, and I admit that I do that less than just having a coffee or drink outside. It makes sense that people would choose a climate controlled interior vs. the outdoors where the temperature could be too hot, cold, windy, wet, sunny, etc. Especially for a whole meal.

But I'm not as convinced about the hygiene being worse outside than it is inside. For starters, the most disgusting things to happen to your food probably happened before it got to your table. Maybe even before it got to the restaurant (if you're not squeamish, google "FDA allowable food defects"). And I personally trust the outside air over the inside air. A crowded confined space is going to have all sorts of particles and germs flying around in relatively high density. Far more so than outdoors. Bugs happen both inside and out (probably more inside than you want to know). And aside from seagulls at the beach (which can actually be dangerous), birds don't bug me too much.

Quote:
Thank you; will try all the places you have mentioned where I haven’t been yet.
Enjoy! I'm hoping to hear other suggestions too.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:05 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Since the outdoor cafe idea was amplified due to covid, I think outdoors is probably healthier in general especially if you're in a quiet enclosed patio type of area. I did find that the restaurants on Hope St, for example, who set out tables didn't really have enough room not to impede pedestrians. But I still support them since it kept them in business.

I haven't tried it yet so can't speak to quality, but Mare Rooftop in Wayland Square might be a good place for outdoor in good weather.

I know keeping dogs is more popular than ever before- but a lot of people don't seem to get that there are plenty of others who don't want anything to do with your dog and find them dirty and smelly and potentially dangerous. Anthropomorphizing animals has often led to disaster... oh... he was always so friendly around the baby--- that is- until he bit the baby to death.

People need to remember how financially responsible they are for their pet. Personally, I'd rather spend thousands on something else.

Old 02-13-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Since the outdoor cafe idea was amplified due to covid, I think outdoors is probably healthier in general especially if you're in a quiet enclosed patio type of area. I did find that the restaurants on Hope St, for example, who set out tables didn't really have enough room not to impede pedestrians. But I still support them since it kept them in business.

I haven't tried it yet so can't speak to quality, but Mare Rooftop in Wayland Square might be a good place for outdoor in good weather.

I know keeping dogs is more popular than ever before- but a lot of people don't seem to get that there are plenty of others who don't want anything to do with your dog and find them dirty and smelly and potentially dangerous. Anthropomorphizing animals has often led to disaster... oh... he was always so friendly around the baby--- that is- until he bit the baby to death.

People need to remember how financially responsible they are for their pet. Personally, I'd rather spend thousands on something else.
Can’t rep you, agree with all.
Have to try rooftop you recommend.

Sounds fun “to collect” all cool rooftop places to enjoy the outside; maybe more to come with this new permissions

The Providence journal had this list of 10 arguably best: are all they still there?

Anything is amiss here?

Anything to add?

https://www.providencejournal.com/st...ng/9815305002/

How many have you visited?

What is your #1 outdoor place?

In RI mine are the Castle Hill Lawn and The Terrace too, Newport

The 41*North in Newport is fun and great food.

I like “The Boathouse” in Tiverton - you could feel being outside when you are even inside - as they open large windows overlooking the Saconnet river. They have outside sitting too.

The Coast Guard in Narragansett

For casual place with plenty of parking - a rarity around Newport in the summer?
Johnny’s Restaurant & Patio Bar At Wyndham Newport hotel - which I think is actually in Middletown?
It has a slightly distant views of the ocean from the top of the hill and the greenery, very open and light filled

Last edited by L00k4ward; 02-13-2024 at 11:57 AM..

Old 02-13-2024, 12:11 PM

4,382 posts, read 3,184,886 times
Quote:
I was inside Revolution Bistro a while back when that happened. A customer had a lapdog with her at the table and another customer was giving her the stink eye and eventually complained. In these situations, I always feel worst for the servers, who are trying hard not to alienate any paying customers

Old 02-13-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:

The 41*North in Newport is fun and great food.

I like “The Boathouse” in Tiverton - you could feel being outside when you are even inside - as they open large windows overlooking the Saconnet river. They have outside sitting too.
I've been to the Rooftop at Providence G and Blu Violet and like both, but I'm not itching to get back to them. Mare Rooftop sounds great, but I haven't been.

I love 41*North and we usually make a family/friends trip to Boathouse once or twice per year. I'd like to try some of the others.

Old 02-13-2024, 12:44 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Look4ward, thanks for the Rooftop ProJo article. Didn't realize we had all these rooftop places!!! Too bad it's snowing right now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island