Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2024, 06:14 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,729,980 times

Advertisements

I think this forum needs a place to discuss visual arts happenings in the state. Rhode Island has a lot to offer in when it comes to visual arts, which is only natural given The Rhode Island School of Design’s national prominence as an art school.

Some of you are likely familiar with the Providence Art Club, if not from attending a gallery opening there, then from the front façade of iconic building on Thomas Street. Their gallery is free and open to the public.

They have something a little different going on right now. If you’re like me, and have watched a bunch of cooking shows, then you know who Jacque Pépin is. He is truly a master chef and a wonderful teacher. As it turns out, he also does a little painting. Right now at the Providence Art Club, some of his paintings are on display (the paintings are for sale, and it is my understanding that the proceeds go to his foundation, which provides free training to future culinary workers, but most of us aren’t deep pocketed enough to afford them—no matter, just go). It’s something interesting to do in the city. This is the last week they’ll be on display.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 07:47 AM

9,329 posts, read 14,953,183 times
There is also this- a free tour.

https://www.gallerynight.org

So many artists now now in RI since they get tax breaks and lots of encouragement.

Old 05-05-2024, 01:35 PM

3,853 posts, read 2,729,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There is also this- a free tour.

https://www.gallerynight.org

So many artists now now in RI since they get tax breaks and lots of encouragement.
Excellent.

And yes, the state has favorable tax treatment for the arts. That includes no sales tax on qualified works of art.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:08 PM

Anyone looking for a museum needs to visit the RISD museum. Definitely worth the time. Their permanent exhibit is good as are the occasional temporary installations.

I'd like to like Brown's Bell Gallery more, but I often find it insubstantial and like a lot of things going on at Brown now- far too fringe worthy.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:23 AM

12,939 posts, read 22,113,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Anyone looking for a museum needs to visit the RISD museum. Definitely worth the time. Their permanent exhibit is good as are the occasional temporary installations.

I'd like to like Brown's Bell Gallery more, but I often find it insubstantial and like a lot of things going on at Brown now- far too fringe worthy.
I really like the RISD museum. We've taken several out of town guests who have also enjoyed it. I have yet to check out the Bell Gallery.

What's the Steel Yard about? Does it have a public gallery/exhibit? I've walked by several times and it looks neat from the outside, but I've never been.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:37 AM

I haven't taken a class there but I hear it's pretty cool if you want to learn certain skills like welding. Here's an overview of what they offer: https://www.thesteelyard.org/about/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: