Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 02:36 PM

11 posts, read 35,817 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to Providence and are having a hard time finding the decent areas to live, everyone is giving us mixed advice. We wanted to stay on the East Side. What areas should we stay away from? Has anyone heard anything about these areas:

Ivy Street?

Fox Point?

Near Brown Athletic Complex and Brown Stadium?

Pleasant Street?

Wayland Square?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,315 times
Wayland Square is quite a nice area in the East Side. Walkable, safe, nice. Fox Point is a larger area which used to be rather downtrodden, these days it's on the up with lots of college kids renting there. The housing there is often not quite up to par though, old apartments where nothing has been done for a while. It's getting better though.

Generally speaking, the East Side is a very decent area to live in Providence.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the help. I have been finding a lot of apartments located near camp st. Some of the other forums have said that this is generally a bad area. How true is that?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 AM

156 posts, read 438,788 times
Camp Street you want to avoid, no doubt, along with some of the streets that intersect it, especially towards Pleasant Street.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:32 AM

Haha, thats what I thought. My fiance thought that I was being paranoid! What do you think about the Summit area, near burlington st?

I really appreciate everyones help, it is so hard moving to a new area and not knowing which sections are good. I want to be safe and appreciate all the help out there, thank you!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 AM

156 posts, read 438,788 times
Believe me, stay away from Pleasant and Camp Streets. Burlington I think is just fine, but I can't say with certainty. In general, the closer you are to Hope Street and the farther away from North Main Street the better off you are likely to be.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 AM

What does anyone think about Waterman Street, near blackstone park?

Is that generally a good area, even though it's not that close to downtown.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Waterman St near Blackstone Park would be fine. However, Waterman is a fairly busy thoroughfare. I hope you're not going to do anything sight unseen. The best way is to come here and look around. the East Side is only a few miles in diameter. You'll quickly get a sense of what you like.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,015 times
Avoid Pleasant St. and Doyle Ave west of Camp St. Though not as bad as they once were (there's actually condos on Pleasant St for sale now), they're still higher crime. In the Camp St area, (Mt Hope neighborhood), east of Camp is fine, west of Camp is a little seedy still with pockets of good and bad. Camp St itself is also hit or miss, there are a lot of decent fixed up places along there now, but it's not quite there yet. There are a few bad houses filled with druggies that ruin it for everyone else. It is affordable though.

The Summit neighborhood (north of Rochambeau Ave) is nice, decently affordable and pretty safe. There are shops and restaurants in this neighborhood along Hope st between Rochambeau and the numbered streets. Wayland Square is very nice and has shops and restaurants, but it's pricier. Areas around Brown U have lots of students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island