Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:33 AM

179 posts, read 1,209,465 times

Advertisements

I'm going out to dinner tonight for my brother's 15th bday, and we want to try someplace new. Let me know your favorite place to eat out in RI so I can learn from your experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 AM

156 posts, read 439,086 times
Big fan of Chez Pascal in Providence. Their prix fixe menu weeknights is a good deal as their portions are large for a French restuarant, and of course the meals are amazing.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,428,752 times
Hands down it's Al Forno. Five star restaurant, incredible food but pricey and they don't take reservations. Close runners-up: Siena (locations on Atwells Ave and East Greenwich) and Mill's Taven (North Main St.). Pizzico on Hope St is also very good!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 PM

Hey...we went to Siena. Great!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 PM

yummy.....a little to far for me to get to from NC. RI has the BEST selection of restaurants!!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 PM

Yep, it does have a lot of nice restaurants!

Old 07-04-2008, 08:16 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Pakarang on South Main St. in Providence. Affordable, beyond superb Thai. The best I've ever had.

That said, there are TONS of great dining choices in this State, which leaves many runners up.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,700,545 times
Default Ahem...Pakarang decent but not great for Thai food

I ate at Pakarang on South Main last week based on the rave review post above.

My rating: Food (Thai Food): good, nothing extraordinary Service: slightly better than average, again nothing extraordinary Ambience/decor: better than average, nice!

Downsides to Pakarang: No brown rice available (bad, bad, very bad!!). At any good Thai restaurant you ask the waiter for the tray of spicy condiments including super-hot habanero-type slices, chili powder, chili paste, etc. At Pakarang all I received was some chili paste in a bowl. That is "bush league" as far as Thai food is concerned.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 AM

What I wouldn't give for good Asian food right now! We're in NC and just tried a place near our home. UGH - it was awful. Everything tasted like pure soy sauce laced with a bit of ginger. I wanted some Nime Chow - they described something identical on the menu and called it Vietnamese Rolls. Beyond bad, wrapped very poorly and the sauce was some thick brown goop instead of the rice vinegar/crushed peanunt that I am accustomed to! I love living here but good restaurants are few and far between.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:32 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
I ate at Pakarang on South Main last week based on the rave review post above.

My rating: Food (Thai Food): good, nothing extraordinary Service: slightly better than average, again nothing extraordinary Ambience/decor: better than average, nice!

Downsides to Pakarang: No brown rice available (bad, bad, very bad!!). At any good Thai restaurant you ask the waiter for the tray of spicy condiments including super-hot habanero-type slices, chili powder, chili paste, etc. At Pakarang all I received was some chili paste in a bowl. That is "bush league" as far as Thai food is concerned.
You can get all the condiments you want there. I actually have a "regular" waiter now who's memorized everything I like and provides outstanding service.

As for the food, I maintain its excellence. What other place in Thai place in Rhody have you eaten at that beats it? I'd truly like to know, because when I first moved up here I couldn't find any good Thai places. (I've tried 5!) Pakarang was the only good one, and fortunately it beat anything I had had in Florida. If that place ever closes it will be a day of mourning for me!

P.S. I do agree with you on the brown rice. That is the one thing I'd change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island