Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,813 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving up to Rhode Island in mid-September. He has a job in Sudbury, MA and I am transferring to NUWC in Newport, RI.

We have housing options that would require us to live separately, but these obviously are not ideal.

Cumberland, RI seems like a possible halfway point. Is commuting from Cumberland to Newport (or Sudbury, MA) a realistic option? We are coming from the DC area, so we are used to long drives and traffic. Are there vanpools or any other commuter options to Newport?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Those drives would be annoying. I realize the distances are relatively short if you are from the DC metro and commute 30-40 miles one way. But by RI standards, it would be like you living in Williamsburg, VA and commuting to DC.

Anyways, the drive to Newport will easily be 1+ hours, and if there is snow, yeah well... The drive to Sudbury will be tough too - rush hour traffic is a bear once you hit 95/128. Look for 1.5 hours for that, each way.

Have you considered parts of interior SE MA? Places like Taunton would actually work out too. You're really in a tough jam here. If there was a way for either of you to change job locations, do it. You're not going to have fun with those commutes.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
It's a very long commute for both of you, but I'd look into Mansfield, Ma area. Maybe Foxborough as well. You husband can get Rte 495 to Rte 20 to go to Sudbury. I wouldn't recommend Taunton as a place to relocate.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolea1cc View Post
My husband and I are moving up to Rhode Island in mid-September. He has a job in Sudbury, MA and I am transferring to NUWC in Newport, RI.

We have housing options that would require us to live separately, but these obviously are not ideal.

Cumberland, RI seems like a possible halfway point. Is commuting from Cumberland to Newport (or Sudbury, MA) a realistic option? We are coming from the DC area, so we are used to long drives and traffic. Are there vanpools or any other commuter options to Newport?

Thank you!
I would look along the Route 24 corridor from Fall River towards Brockton or I495. But, avoiding the cities for living purposes. The commute on route 24 will be about 45 minutes depending on traffic or weather conditions. There is no easy access to any interstate from Cumberland. Going through Providence to Newport IS NOT an option.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,813 times
Thanks for the responses. Would the Rehoboth/Norton, MA area be more reasonable halfway point (as reasonable as possible in this situation)? Is that a nice area?

What about the commute from Greenville, RI to Newport?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:49 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Rehoboth and Norton (MA) are nice semi rural communities of mostly single family homes- the commute to Newport could be as much as an hour each way. Greenville (Smithfield) about the same.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,981 times
Not sure why, but one of the posters said Cumberland does not have easy access to highways. Cumberland has 2 exits on/off of 295 and is about 3-5 miles from 95 depending on where in Cumberland you live. So I would say it has excellent access to interstates.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbsc View Post
Not sure why, but one of the posters said Cumberland does not have easy access to highways. Cumberland has 2 exits on/off of 295 and is about 3-5 miles from 95 depending on where in Cumberland you live. So I would say it has excellent access to interstates.
Sure, but to get to Newport - those routes aren't going to help.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 AM

12,817 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Sure, but to get to Newport - those routes aren't going to help.
Why not? You wouldn't take 295 South (or Possibly just go over to 95 and take it the whole way depending on traffic) to 95 South then Route 4 to 138/ Jamestown Bridge and Newport Bridge?

Which way would you choose then? I seem to think having access to those routes would not only help, but probably be the quickest way to Newport from Cumberland. Anyways, even though this post is dated, MA communities like Assonet, Westport, Berkely, Norton, Mansfield, and parts of Taunton would be better ideas given the OP's commuting needs.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Why not? You wouldn't take 295 South (or Possibly just go over to 95 and take it the whole way depending on traffic) to 95 South then Route 4 to 138/ Jamestown Bridge and Newport Bridge?
If I had to work in Newport, I would not live in Cumberland. That is my point. The ride down is a minimum 1 hour, 15 minutes, either way. Add in rain/snow/beach traffic, and it's game over. That was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island