Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzyan View Post
my job location will be in providence, I have not accepted the position yet, but if I do . I have to move to Ri ,I am a father and I would like to have my kids to go to better school and live in better area.. I will be comming from santa monica california, you know " sun, beach and so on ...." reading about raod isalnd it just seems that peopel are not getting along and just from reading some comment from people that use to live there, there in not so mutch love for it.. for instance I will never ever say " I would not comeback to SM, ca " I hope one day I will be back if I LEAVE this place, it just for now I have different priorities... and is getting expensive,,
Everyone on this board talks about Barrington, South County, East Side and Newport, but Northern and Western Rhode Ilsand are great places to live. Lincoln, Foster, Cumberland, Smithfield, North Smithfield, Scituate and Glocester all have good school systems. They are just below East Greenwich and Barrington but will compete with anyone. They are also more suburban and rural then other Rhode Ilsand locations. Lincoln and Cumberland do have some urban areas. Most of these towns have minimum acreage for new construction. In Glocester there is a 4 acre minimum. Just some locations to add to your list. All of these towns will offer a 20-30 minute commute to Providence in good circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 AM

9 posts, read 61,649 times
Rhode Island is a very nice state to live in. I'm always happy when I return home from a trip. Rhode Islanders need to stop complaining and appreciate what they have.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:28 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
There are negative people everywhere- they have never lived anywhere else- and take the good things New England has to offer for granted- while extolling a new place they visited on vacation as the 'end all'. Many tend to be younger.

I left CT and lived in the SF Bay area in the mid to late 1980s- back then it was still inexpensive. I have been back many times since- the one thing California has Rhode Island beat at is the climate -especially coastal California- And Rhode Island has moderate winter weather that is not extreme most of the time.

California is a great place to live- however I feel New England has a far higher quality of life. Providence itself is a fun city- much has been done over the last 20 years- it is quiet enjoyable. The Rhode Island beaches are wonderful as well-

Negativity and anger exists on every state forum- we get a few unhappy people over on the CT Forum as well. I met a gal last week for coffee who moved here a month ago from Walnut Creek- and loves eastern CT--

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,952 times
I think it's interesting that when anyone is critical of RI, it is dismissed as being an "angry" or "negative" person who is inexperience about life or particularly miserable about something personally.

Both my husband and I were longterm RI residents (for my dh, lifelong) who made the decision to leave RI 2 years ago for Austin, TX. I am not "angry" about RI (or life in general) and as a 34 year old mom with 3 kids and 2 Master's degrees, don't think I am some young 'un spouting off. For us, quality of life is MUCH better in Austin.

I'm not purely (or in my opinion, unfairly) critical of Rhode Island, but I think it's important to present critical or negative reviews on this forum for people. Of course everything is subjective, and I would be just as suspicious of someone coming on here saying "Rhode Island is FANTASTIC" as someone saying "Rhode Island is AWFUL". I don't come on here to spout negativity, rather share my experiences and opinions as someone who lived in RI for many years who sees faults with the society/state as well as positives.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:31 PM

29 posts, read 95,282 times
Default Oh Woe is Rhody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyr13 View Post
I don't come on here to spout negativity, rather share my experiences and opinions as someone who lived in RI for many years who sees faults with the society/state as well as positives.
Thank you! I think we are living parallel lives - except I am trying DESPERATELY to get out of RI and into CT. I wish this housing market would liven up a bit.

If you truly love So Cal and hope to go back someday you really may not want to leave.

I grew up on the east end of LI, NY and I can never hope to get back there now. Once you leave these places you don't make the money needed to return.

As for RI - I have continued to find it rather unfriendly, (lived here ten + years, my husband is a native, I volunteer in all three of my kids schools and a local nursing home). When you are out and about people are friendly enough, but if you try having a party, no one shows up. (Except for people who are transplants!) It's hard when you haven't grown up here, especially in the more rural areas. It seems people just don't want to be bothered, no matter how much you put yourself out there.

Too bad, because the scenery is lovely. The beaches are small compared to what I grew up with, but nice.

Jamestown is a beautiful place though, and if you are selling a house in SO Cal, you should be able to afford one there. I have a girlfriend who grew up in Barrington who always joked about how safe it was, (saying Police would pull her over for passing someone making a left hand turn). She loved it.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM

34 posts, read 196,977 times
Well, I moved from west coast to NE. So there's a bit of a different attitude around here. People aren't as welcoming, I've noticed. It's a little harder for people who haven't lived in RI for their entire lives. You can't survive here without knowing someone here in order to climb up the ladder.

There are some nice communities here. The crime rate is actually pretty low and the drug problem here...well, it's like everywhere else. You can't really score any of the hardcore stuff like menth or heroin here but a high number of people like to smoke weed. The beaches are nice. Everything's close by. But still the taxes are high, the winters are harsh, and most of the people aren't as friendly as you would like them to be. I wouldn't suggest moving here if you don't like snow, because it snows alot here during winter and if you are looking for somewhere affordable, because the taxes are high in this state, same with insurance and house prices in certain areas. Also, if you aren't use to the NE attitude or don't like it, I wouldn't suggest moving here either.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:00 PM

21 posts, read 25,309 times
I live in North Kingstown, and I have not one complaint. Low crime, great school system, and nice people. It's within a half hour drive to Providence, and it's worth it to avoid the crime in Providence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island