Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 07:40 PM

16 posts, read 28,508 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Graniteville area and was wondering if this is a safe area. Are there lots of stores in the area? Thanks, for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM

308 posts, read 517,711 times
Almost all of johnston is safe. I grew up around Morgan Ave in the Thorton area and I would say that is probably the worst area outside of the Killingly St. As far as stuff around the area, Johnston is pretty much near a lot of things, no matter where you live in the town. Obviously being on/close to Hartford or Atwood ave is most ideal, but there is a decent amount of things.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,947 times
I live in the Thornton area of Cranston. I've always thought it to be ridiculously safe (and quiet up on the hill where I am.) Is the Thornton area of Johnston different or something?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,054,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RISOXFAN View Post
I'm moving to the Graniteville area and was wondering if this is a safe area. Are there lots of stores in the area? Thanks, for any info!
Right up the road on Route 44, Putnam Pike, you will find plenty of shopping two miles away in Smithfield. Many of the big box stores and smaller stores can be found.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I live in the Thornton area of Cranston. I've always thought it to be ridiculously safe (and quiet up on the hill where I am.) Is the Thornton area of Johnston different or something?
I think it just shows how Johnston is safe in general. The "worst" areas are much more desirable than a lot of other towns or cities.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 PM

54 posts, read 233,304 times
Thornton is area around the Johnston/Cranston line. So both towns have claim to Thornton.

Graniteville, as well as all of Johnston, is a safe area. Route 44 runs threw this part of town and connects to Smithfield (to the west) and North Providence (to the east). There are some shops and restaurants on the Graniteville part of 44, but the is more stuff in the Apple Valley area in Smithfield, and the Mineral Spring area in N.Providence (which is road the forks off of 44)

I have seen some statistics lately that rated crime in Johnston, across the board, as low as Smithfield. This surprised me because Johnston actually boarders the Silver Lake, Manton, and Hartford, sections of Providence which are areas in Providence that see their share of crime.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Is the Thornton area of Cranston different?

Old 11-04-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Is the Thornton area of Cranston different?
They are the same area. An example on Plainfield Pike - The right side is Johnston and the left side is Cranston.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Oh I understand that. I just wondered if one side was a little different from the other. Judging from your answer I'm guessing not.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 PM

16 posts, read 28,508 times
Thanks for all the help! From your responses, seems like the Graniteville area in RI is safe. We close on our house in DEC. and we are looking forward to moving to RI. We moved from Myrtle Beach SC and have been renting in Massachusetts for a few months. My wife has a job in the Providence area. Hopefully I will find one too. Can't wait to see the first snowfall!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island