Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:15 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times

Advertisements

Hi, my mom is considering a move to Providence. I have thought about it as well to attend college. I have been hearing from some neighbors from there and who have family in Providence that the city is in disrepair. There are drug dealers all over and the city is run down and is not a nice place to live.

If anyone could comment and give me the real scoop on Providence. You would think it would be nice, but everyone else says no. I have also heard that all the shopping malls have been torn down!! That's strange. Is the pay good compared to the cost of living. Stats say that about 30% of families in the city are in poverty. I appreciate all answers. Thanks.

Daniel True
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 08:19 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,007 times
All the shopping malls are torn down? Don't think so. Providence has one of the most gorgeous malls anywhere, called Providence Place Mall on the river. Much of Providence in the financial district has been rehabilitated beautifully, the river has been put back to where it was historically, there is a place called Waterplace Park which is wonderful.

However, Providence itself, the urban parts and some suburban parts of the City of Providence are not where I would live at all. It is typical inner city and fringe areas. Simply stay out of zip code 02903.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Thanks for Info

Thanks for your help. I did a zip code search and did a local.live.com search. Looks like the zip code is for downtown Prov. and some surrounding neighborhoods. They didn't look that bad. What is wrong with that zip code 02903? There a lot of crime, drugs? Where would say would be the best places to raise a teen and pre-teen What neighborhoods are nice, affordable, and safe?

Is it dangerous to drive through Providence during the day?

Daniel True

Old 02-19-2007, 05:04 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Providence is very safe in the daytime-
And its downtown is a showcase for what urban renaissance is. The downtown has Providence Place for shopping, the river walk- and much more.
Federal hill has a great restored historic district, Brown University, Rhode Island School of Design, and great restaurants.

Providence has some less desirable areas like any city- however the pluses far outweigh the few negatives.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 AM

474 posts, read 2,192,007 times
As I said before Dan, the 02903 zip code is the urban and fringe area of Prov. If you have unlimited cash, then you could get a beautiful apartment in Providence for the neighborhood of $1800 per month, and UP, way up. The East Side of Prov. is zip code 02906 however, and is the most desirable in terms of quaint neighborhoods etc. I would also recommend that you check with the Providence Police Department for an up to the minute crime opinion. I worked downtown Providence for several years, took the bus in and out of the city, and was always "on guard" at the central bus station. Without knowing what your mother or you would want, it is very difficult to give informed advice to you. Other than the area (renaissanced areas near the financial districts) you do not want to live in Providence as I said. I don't know how you can "look" on the internet and say you think the neighborhoods look decent. RI is a tiny state, you can live anywhere basically in the state and be within a 30 min. maximum drive to Providence. Hope this helps.

PS: To raise a teen or pre-teen in the City? Absolutely not.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:28 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,189 times
I agree with Annie - yes, Providence is a very safe city by day (in most parts) and many parts even at night, but I'm not sure what the reason would be to live there with kids when you can live 10-15 minutes outside the city in a MUCH safer area with better schools. Unless there was a transportation issue (Providence public transportation is lacking compared to many cities, although better than some), I would absolutely choose a nice suburb.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:50 AM

21 posts, read 116,577 times
Providence public school system is in trouble. Don't bring a pre-teen into it. Better to be 20-30 minutes outside Prov, unless you are going to go to one of the private schools like Lincoln School for Girls, Wheeler, Moses Brown, etc.

Here is a link to school reports for the state
http://www.infoworks.ride.uri.edu/2007/default.asp

Here is a link to crime statistics for the state
http://www.risp.state.ri.us/stats/

Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Has anything changed in the 10 years since I lived in Providence?

I totally agree about schools, but it seems that most of the public schools in urban areas are poor to average and not specific to this City.

But I am rather taken aback by the idea that the City isn't safe. I lived in several zipcodes; walked around, drove my car and even had to take public transportation to Downtown whilst I had car trouble, and never felt unsafe.

I felt that Providence was like a small town with city amenities!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:22 PM

67 posts, read 517,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Hi, my mom is considering a move to Providence. I have thought about it as well to attend college. I have been hearing from some neighbors from there and who have family in Providence that the city is in disrepair. There are drug dealers all over and the city is run down and is not a nice place to live.

If anyone could comment and give me the real scoop on Providence. You would think it would be nice, but everyone else says no. I have also heard that all the shopping malls have been torn down!! That's strange. Is the pay good compared to the cost of living. Stats say that about 30% of families in the city are in poverty. I appreciate all answers. Thanks.

Daniel True
Sounds like the Providence of 30 years ago. Not anymore. Apple Annie is spot on with her comments. Providence Place Mall is beautiful. Lots of dining that will rival Boston. Plenty safe during the day, and many areas at night. There are bad areas that you should stay out of, as in most cities.

A short commute will put you in Cranston and Warwick, which made Money Magazine's 2006 list of top 100 places to live.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...states/RI.html

I think the East Side of Providence would be a nice place to live if you wanted to live in the city. Never lived there...maybe an East Sider will chime in here.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Thanks

Great. Thanks for the info. I relayed this to my mom, and she says thank you as well. Is the pay good there in comparison to the cost of living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island