Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,400 times

Advertisements

Hi , sorry to bring up an older thread. Does anyone have any input on the Longmeadow/Warwick neck neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0v3rr1d3 View Post
Hi , sorry to bring up an older thread. Does anyone have any input on the Longmeadow/Warwick neck neighborhoods?
I was just talking to my nephew from warwick about warwick neck and he said that's a really nice area. I only asked because someone here gave it a bad review.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 PM

102 posts, read 393,316 times
Warwick Neck runs south from West Shore Road, starting at the end of Warwick Avenue. The first half mile of the Neck is very average, in general and you would certainly find many homes for sale from $200K - $225K but be advised there are pockets of blight at the beginning of the neck. There are also some very nice homes in that mix and because of the depressed real estate market and R.I.'s 12% unemployment there are lots of homes that have dropped 30% in value over the last few years.

As you drive south on Warwick Neck and get half way up the long grade hill, property gets more and more expensive, with some million dollar homes.

Longmeadow is the neighborhood on the east side near the beginning of the neck. If you look around Tidewater Drive, Longmeadow Avenue, Samuel Gorton Avenue school you can find some pretty decent housing in your range. The drawback for the Neck and Longmeadow is that its three or four miles further drive to the big shopping areas and to Providence.

Gaspee Plateau around Fair Street and Narragansett Parkway are lovely places and closer to Providence. Look for $225K house there - you may get lucky!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 28,339 times
I happened to be eavesdropping on this thread. I too am interested in finding out more about Warwick neighborhoods as I will be relocating there in the very near future. Can you tell me what makes Gaspee a desirable area? Do you think a house would hold or increase it's value there?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:07 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Gaspee has Pawtuxet Village, a historic and quaint village center with a waterfront park and small shopping district. Every year in June they have a big parade to celebrate the burning of the Gaspee (British tea tax, etc.)

Nearby is Governor Francis Farms, a nice older development of larger homes on bigger lots. Both areas within 15 min of downtown Providence.

Both get some airplane noise from the state airport but not enough to preclude living there IMHO.

Appreciation probably as good as anywhere nowadays. Foreclosures in RI have been heavily concentrated in poor sections of Providence. I believe there is a foreclosure map on line. Other areas have lost value- 20- 25 % or more of previous gains- but RI continues to have little new building and many high demand areas.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 28,339 times
I will be working in Warwick. I've heard traffic is tough around the airport. Is there a problem from Gaspee to Warwick?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
You'd be in Warwick. Gaspee is an area in Warwick.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 AM

548 posts, read 816,216 times
Default Near Mall / Rt 5 / Pontiac

Old thread, but exactly on point:

Wondering about the neighborhood just east and north of the malls off of Route 5 -- North Street, Mayfield, etc. MLS shows the neighborhood for these listings as "Pontiac", though the specific listings of interest to us are much closer to Rt 5 and the malls than to the Pontiac (or ACI) side.

Driving around it's hard to get a read, one of the most hodgepodge areas we've seen. Homes ranging from huge old Victorians usually in bad shape (the old farmhouses?), to a bunch of post-WW2 houses of an unusually wide range of sizes and conditions, to some new infill construction.

It's clearly not a "good" neighborhood the way Dean or Greenwood are, but it doesn't look exactly bad either -- plenty of decently kept homes with nice cars in the driveway, even if the same block might also have a tiny run-down house.

Anyway, curious for any impressions/experiences there. A couple of home of interest and while I don't really care about being by the malls, it is a convenient commute location for us.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
Old thread, but exactly on point:

Wondering about the neighborhood just east and north of the malls off of Route 5 -- North Street, Mayfield, etc. MLS shows the neighborhood for these listings as "Pontiac", though the specific listings of interest to us are much closer to Rt 5 and the malls than to the Pontiac (or ACI) side.

Driving around it's hard to get a read, one of the most hodgepodge areas we've seen. Homes ranging from huge old Victorians usually in bad shape (the old farmhouses?), to a bunch of post-WW2 houses of an unusually wide range of sizes and conditions, to some new infill construction.

It's clearly not a "good" neighborhood the way Dean or Greenwood are, but it doesn't look exactly bad either -- plenty of decently kept homes with nice cars in the driveway, even if the same block might also have a tiny run-down house.

Anyway, curious for any impressions/experiences there. A couple of home of interest and while I don't really care about being by the malls, it is a convenient commute location for us.

There is a nice "pocket" neighborhood just off Pontiac Av. to the left if you are heading toward the mall (Mayfield might be one of the streets in there.) Also, another nice neighborhood off Oaklawn Av. (designed like a large circle) called Oaklawn Terrace.

Moderately priced and well kept neighborhoods, and good proximity to highway access. Both are within the Cranston city limits. Greenwood is also a good area. If you go further down Rt. 5 So., past Lowe's, past the hotels etc., there are some other nice older subdivisions. Off New London Av. is Garden Hills, which runs in between New London Av. and Oaklawn Av.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:45 AM

548 posts, read 816,216 times
QuilterChick:

Thanks, we know Garden Hills and Greenwood and agree those are nice. I'm wondering more specifically about an area that's basically in between, just across Rt 5 from the malls and west of the river and I-95. Streets like Mayfield, Greenwich, Bateman and North, West, and East streets. To confuse things, the Cranston/Warwick line runs through there, though the listings we're interested in are all on the Warwick side, not the Cranston side.

Here's a Google Maps link to the middle of the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...1.4714659,17z/

Any thoughts from anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island