Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 02:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Of course you don't believe it, you're a realtor. Of course there are some realtors who are better than others- most are pretty awful in my experience.

You mean you haven't checked on RILiving to find all the houses that are in high risk flood zones and are not checked off by the listing agents as flood insurance required? Try it, it might be an eye opener for you.

Try not to paint me with your broad brush. The reality is not on your side. I would suggest that you complain to the RI Assoc. of Realtors. Besides, I am quite happily retired, and glad that I don't have to deal with real estate agent haters. I'd suggest you get a license and pay all the out of pocket fees that keep Realtors in business; and see how the public treats you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 03:08 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
You mean you haven't checked on RILiving to find all the houses that are in high risk flood zones and are not checked off by the listing agents as flood insurance required? Try it, it might be an eye opener for you.
Anyone who is actually interested can verify this for themselves.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:01 PM

120 posts, read 235,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor 61 View Post
What about plans for airport runway expansion....will the Greenwood neighborhood be impacted? And perhaps others? Is it not unethical for sellers and realtors not to disclose knowledge of this impact?
Homes have been bought south of the runway and route 113/Main Ave was re-routed in an arc, I am not sure if expansion will continue any more south (or north for that matter). I would imagine though that Greenwood from Post Rd to I-95 (and actually any where in Greenwood West of the highway) would be fine.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 749 times
There's really no bad areas of Warwick. Honestly, Oakland Beach is probably the worst neighborhood due to it being full of what used to be summer homes that have now been turned into rentals and year-round homes. Lots of drug use and activity in that neighborhood. Norwood is another neighborhood that I would avoid due to it directly bordering Cranston and nearby Providence. I would also avoid Pontiac and Natick areas as well. I grew up in Lakewood and although it is also close to the Cranston border and not one of the best neighborhoods in Warwick, i find it to be a better neighborhood than any of the previously mentioned neighborhoods. Greenwood Proper is an older neighborhood and in my opinion, highly overrated due to its very close proximity to the airport and the noise that it encompasses.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:35 PM

17,718 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Of course you don't believe it, you're a realtor. Of course there are some realtors who are better than others- most are pretty awful in my experience.
Holly, aren't you a realtor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Try not to paint me with your broad brush. The reality is not on your side. I would suggest that you complain to the RI Assoc. of Realtors. Besides, I am quite happily retired, and glad that I don't have to deal with real estate agent haters. I'd suggest you get a license and pay all the out of pocket fees that keep Realtors in business; and see how the public treats you.
Holly, you don't have a license?

Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarwickLifer View Post
There's really no bad areas of Warwick. Honestly, Oakland Beach is probably the worst neighborhood due to it being full of what used to be summer homes that have now been turned into rentals and year-round homes. Lots of drug use and activity in that neighborhood. Norwood is another neighborhood that I would avoid due to it directly bordering Cranston and nearby Providence. I would also avoid Pontiac and Natick areas as well. I grew up in Lakewood and although it is also close to the Cranston border and not one of the best neighborhoods in Warwick, i find it to be a better neighborhood than any of the previously mentioned neighborhoods. Greenwood Proper is an older neighborhood and in my opinion, highly overrated due to its very close proximity to the airport and the noise that it encompasses.
Much of Warwick was developed at an unfortunate time for the quality of residential design & construction. Those "Anywhere USA" tract houses built from the mid 60s thru the 80s don't age well. However, there are exceptional areas, that are actually interesting, such as parts of the Neck, Cowesett & even Governor Francis Farms to name a few.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:42 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Much of Warwick was developed at an unfortunate time for the quality of residential design & construction. Those "Anywhere USA" tract houses built from the mid 60s thru the 80s don't age well. However, there are exceptional areas, that are actually interesting, such as parts of the Neck, Cowesett & even Governor Francis Farms to name a few.
This is a very, very old thread, but our responses may be of some utility to people who don't know RI. Largely "ditto" to what you've said, though Gov. Francis Farms is pushing it. Though I no longer live in RI - and haven't for decades - my memories of Warwick are as vivid as if it were yesterday.

If I had an aneurysm, and as a result, had an uncontrollable urge to move to Warwick, the only places I would even consider would be Warwick Neck, Old Buttonwoods, and maybe Greenwood (between Rte. 1 and 5 only and south of Main Ave.) and … well that would be about it. Even Cowesett is a blind man's version of East Greenwich.

As an aside, while reading one of the early posts in this thread, I couldn't help but smile at the idea that anyone would find Oakland Beach a place to actually buy a house … the absolute definition of desperation.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:24 PM

28 posts, read 32,458 times
What's Apponaug like?

Old 04-12-2019, 12:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelli8810 View Post
What's Apponaug like?
Apponaug is like a colonial/Victorian New England village, complete with an old mill complex, that has been bulldozed to build 1950s - 1990s shopping plazas. Like pretty much the rest of Warwick, minus the .000001% that is Pawtuxet Village (the smaller part of it, BTW) and - to a certain extent - Old Buttonwoods and parts of Warwick Neck, the city is the product of 75 years of realtor/developer-based development with zero interest in coherent, people-focused communities. In the vast majority of Warwick neighborhoods, I dare you to find sidewalks, for example.

To add insult to injury, the entire close-to-100k city surrounds an airport. Most cities/towns have a downtown or town center at their heart; Warwick has a runway Warwick should be encased in amber as one the absolute worst examples of mid 20th-century US suburban development. At the very least, urban design/urban planning students should be forced to visit it as an object lesson of what NOT to do.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:30 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Apponaug is like a colonial/Victorian New England village, complete with an old mill complex, that has been bulldozed to build 1950s - 1990s shopping plazas. Like pretty much the rest of Warwick, minus the .000001% that is Pawtuxet Village (the smaller part of it, BTW) and - to a certain extent - Old Buttonwoods and parts of Warwick Neck, the city is the product of 75 years of realtor/developer-based development with zero interest in coherent, people-focused communities. In the vast majority of Warwick neighborhoods, I dare you to find sidewalks, for example.

To add insult to injury, the entire close-to-100k city surrounds an airport. Most cities/towns have a downtown or town center at their heart; Warwick has a runway Warwick should be encased in amber as one the absolute worst examples of mid 20th-century US suburban development. At the very least, urban design/urban planning students should be forced to visit it as an object lesson of what NOT to do.

Hope this helps.
All true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island