Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,911,081 times

Advertisements

I did read alot of great info on the area. We have a couple of choices, Charlotte, Plano, and Rhode Island. I have no idea, nor have I been to RI. My main concerns are STELLAR schools, subdivision/golf course type of neighborhoods..I really like that subdivision feel. Upscale malls and shopping should be no more than a 10 minute commute. Job is in providence...we would rent first and am open to living in CT, Mass as well. 45 minutes commute time by car is okay.

Being that we are talking RI, I see dont see a change in home prices from RI in comparison to California or New York.

I would think home prices would be lower for new construction 4-5 beds, 3000 square feet..but I am thinking 600-700k for RI.

Same home in the other areas is 350K.

Am I off base in the estimates. What specific towns have what I am looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:32 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,911,081 times
First off, your post is insulting by calling people you dont know trolls. Secondly your quote is off base.

If you actually read the post. I was asking if my estimates were correct. That new homes 4-5 bed 3000 square feet would run between 600-700k in RI. I have noticed while we compare citys that the same runs 350k.

"AM I OFF WITH MY ESTIMATES?" was the question. You have no idea is that price range is what I am looking for..but the question was regarding home prices of new construction in upscale areas of providence.

Jeez...

Old 03-14-2009, 08:38 AM

10,040 posts, read 15,705,408 times
600-700k sounds about right for the size of home you are looking for, but that would be in a smaller subdivision, without the amenities of a pool, golf course, clubhouse, etc. Those types of developments are rare in New England, unlike other parts of the country. The few we have, would run you more than 600k. Land here is expensive, not much of it left.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:12 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,435,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
I did read alot of great info on the area. We have a couple of choices, Charlotte, Plano, and Rhode Island. I have no idea, nor have I been to RI. My main concerns are STELLAR schools, subdivision/golf course type of neighborhoods..I really like that subdivision feel. Upscale malls and shopping should be no more than a 10 minute commute. Job is in providence...we would rent first and am open to living in CT, Mass as well. 45 minutes commute time by car is okay.

Being that we are talking RI, I see dont see a change in home prices from RI in comparison to California or New York.

I would think home prices would be lower for new construction 4-5 beds, 3000 square feet..but I am thinking 600-700k for RI.

Same home in the other areas is 350K.

Am I off base in the estimates. What specific towns have what I am looking for?
You may more easily find what you are looking for in Charlotte (newer upscale subdivision, upscale shopping). These types of communities abound in NC, more difficult to find in RI. (Native RIer here, moved to NC just under a year ago). I love it down here. Good luck with your search and decision.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 AM
jpq

48 posts, read 150,369 times
Having lived in both Rhode Island and Charlotte you are describing Charlotte to a t. Check out South Charlotte and Waxhaw for homes. They are two different counties but both areas are great. In Mecklenburg county you have SouthPark Mall offers upscale shopping and the Ballantyne area is pretty affluent. In Union county, Waxhaw will offer you more bang for your buck and is a wonderful area with excellent schools (as long as you stay in the Marvin Ridge and Kensington clusters). Many NYers seem to flock to the area. If you go to carolinahome.com and look in areas 5 and 10 I think you'll find what you're looking for. Some neighborhoods that fit your criteria would be Ballantyne Country Club, Providence Country Club, Longview, Firethorne, Providence Downs.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,707,559 times
I think it is quite probable you could find what you are looking for in RI. Yes, there are 4-5 bedrooms in the 600K range, but I think there are also a lot, in good neighborhoods in the 350K range as well. The market is slow here too, and you could very well find a dream house, that may have dropped in price considerably. Overall, the real estate market in New England is usually a very sound investment compared to many other parts of the country, our economy is very diverse. We do have many upscale malls as well.

New England has a very special "feel" to it, that you might enjoy. We are also close to many things such as Mass, northern New England, and New York City. I would definetly take a trip and investigate. The Saturday issue of the Providence Journal has a large real estate section that you might find helpful.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 AM

9,324 posts, read 14,940,393 times
Mom, You're comparing apples and oranges. If you really want stellar schools, and golf course subdivisions with large new homes at low prices- go to Plano. Yes, Plano. It's a nice, clean, homogenous community.

Charlotte is sprawl and a shiny cold highrise downtown. The close in neighborhoods are tree lined and nice, definitely car oriented (few people walk there and the drivers tried to run us down when we attempted to cross the thoroughfares). The close- in homes cost much more than the 1 hr commute houses which will be new and big. But I can see the appeal- it's a little bit of a mini Dallas.

Rhode island is a far cry from either from these places and I'm NOT saying necessarily BETTER, but I'm saying VERY different from the other possibilities you 're considering. It's difficult to get uniformity and homegenity here on any type of scale and it's difficult- but not impossible- to get brand new. New England is often the opposite of brand new. That being said, visit Middletown, Portsmouth, South Tiverton, Barrington, Jamestown, and then decide if RI has any appeal for you at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island