Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,344,030 times

Advertisements

I am considering putting in for a job in Providence, but aside from what I've been digging up on the internet, I know nothing of the city, or of Rhode Island for that matter.

I'm currently living just 3 hours West of Providence in a little town in upstate New York, but I've only been here a few months and haven't yet had the chance to make it to Providence.

I'd really like to hear anything anyone wanted to venture about Providence. Its history, crime, good/bad neighborhoods, cost of living, public transportation, quality of schools and medical care, live music scene, etc., etc.

I have a wife and two daughters in elementary school.

I don't know what my chances might be of obtaining this job, but it's a good job. We'd initially be looking for a rental along the lines of a roomy 3- or 4-bedroom. It would be fine if the residence were not in the city proper but in a nearby 'burb with good schools, etc. and within a good commuting range.

Sorry for all the noobie questions. I'd just appreciate and enjoy hearing anything anyone had to say about Providence and surrounding areas.

Thanks so much. Here's wishing everyone a good Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 03:13 PM

688 posts, read 2,136,783 times
Providence isn't the most interesting city in New England but it's also not the most boring one. Like in every other city you'll find a couple neighborhoods which are somewhat scary and other areas which are quite safe and interesting to live in. The universities and colleges have a mostly positive impact on the city, especially the areas close to Brown and RISD. There's a pretty strong art scene, quite a few historical buildings and a couple of beautiful spots. The city has the Waterfire event, which is a pretty big draw. Public schools in the city unfortunately don't have the best reputations, a lot of people try to send their children to schools in districts like Barrington and Portsmouth.

The ocean is a fairly short drive away and there are always Boston and New York which are fairly close, too.

Public Transportation is acceptable but nothing to write home about. It's a bus system with a small helping of rail and not comparable to cities with an efficient public transportation system. Providence itself has lots of traffic problems. There's some major construction on the Interstates and connectors to improve the situation. We'll see how it goes.

There's really too much history here to go into great detail about it.

Couple interesting things to google history wise are Buddy Cianci, Roger Williams, First in war and last in peace.

Cost of living is fairly steep and the job market is pretty abysmal at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:05 PM

774 posts, read 2,385,854 times
If I were offered a good job in Providence, I'd live in one of the surrounding communities (that are frequently mentioned on this board) like most everyone else does.

That could save you a lot of grief and aggravation in the long run.

Mikey

Old 05-12-2009, 09:12 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,001,629 times
Germanspy, just curious, which cities in New England (besides Boston) are more "interesting" than Providence. (And comparable in size.)

I can't think of one.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 AM

688 posts, read 2,136,783 times
If you put in the size factor then I'd say yes, Providence would be doing pretty well amongst cities with a comparable population.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
If I were offered a good job in Providence, I'd live in one of the surrounding communities (that are frequently mentioned on this board) like most everyone else does.

That could save you a lot of grief and aggravation in the long run.

Mikey
First, I do appreciate the responses.

Could you elaborate on the "surrounding communities?" Obviously, looking at a map I can see what's around the city, but anything more specific? Pros/cons of different outlying towns?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
If you put in the size factor then I'd say yes, Providence would be doing pretty well amongst cities with a comparable population.
Well, I've lived all over the US. From huge cities to small, rural villages (such as where I live now.)

Since I have young kids, I'm not so interested in constantly "making the scene" as far as clubs and such, but it would be nice to have a wide variety of restaurants, some cool shops, decent parks, maybe an interesting museum or two.

The proximity to Boston is appealing as well.

Also, even though I haven't gigged in years, I am a musician and am interested in making some music with some folks. I understand Providence has a pretty cool music atmosphere.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,001,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
Not to nitpick, but I assume then you are saying that there are more interesting smaller cities? I am genuinely curious because I often find your posts informative.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 PM

10,042 posts, read 15,707,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
First, I do appreciate the responses.

Could you elaborate on the "surrounding communities?" Obviously, looking at a map I can see what's around the city, but anything more specific? Pros/cons of different outlying towns?
Griffis, could you give us a rough idea of your housing budget? It's hard to make recommendations on which towns would suit your family without knowing how much you'd like to spend.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Griffis, could you give us a rough idea of your housing budget? It's hard to make recommendations on which towns would suit your family without knowing how much you'd like to spend.

I'll certainly try. I have to preface this by saying we are lifelong renters. We have not as yet settled in a place long enough to really look into purchasing a home. Should I be fortunate enough to get this job (many hurdles to jump before that happens, but it could happen!) we would be able to swing a $2000 monthly mortgage payment on a 30 fixed, though we'd like to keep it lower if possible.

I'm not sure how that translates to an actual house price in this climate and in that area's market.

As I said, we would initially seek a rental situation most likely.

We currently rent a pretty spacious 2-story 3 br with 2.5 baths for $1200 a month. Should the job materialize, we could afford more, but we might also be able to do with a bit less space.

Argh. I don't know how helpful that is, if at all. I guess in a nutshell I'd say we'd like to be into something for under $2000 monthly, be it rental payment or mortgage. $1500 would be ideal. I havent yet looked into property taxes in the Providence area.

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island