Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:26 PM

8 posts, read 42,588 times

Advertisements

Origionally from MA, but have been living in florida for the past 9 years. My family will be moving back to New England. My wife and I decided on Rhode Island because of what it has to offer, and close vicinity to family. I have a 3 yo and 4 year old now, and am looking for a safe, family oriented area. I am looking for a 3+bed/2+bath >2000sf and .5+ acres for around $250,000. The last time I was visiting my parents, we drove through some areas of Rhode Island, trying to get a feel of neighborhoods. I know we do not care for Coverntry nor North providence. We did enjoy Smithfield however. Is Smithfield a safe area? Will I be able to find a home in a good area of Smithfield, for what I can spend? (Florida real estate is much lower than New England, so I am at a disadvantage). Can someone recommend other affordable and safe family areas? I will probably rent initially, but want to be in an area that I will eventually buy in. I do not want to move my child out of his kindergarden class half way through the year. Thank you (can't wait to shovel snow again!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I take it you only drove around in the NW quadrant? In that area, any of the towns Smithfield, Lincoln, Foster, Glocester, etc would probably work for you. These are semi rural areas with decent schools. Your price range could work there as well, especially if you are willing to do some to a lot of work to the property.

I wouldn't make a decision until I had driven through all parts of the state if I were you- the west bay and the east bay- since the character of the towns and the neighborhoods varies so much. One of the things I like about being here in RI is the lack of homogeneity that you get in newer states. The flavor of the coastal areas is quite different from the inland areas as well. In your price range, however, you'll probably need to stay farther from the coast.

As to safety, there are only some urban areas close to Providence that might be undesirable- otherwise RI ranks as a safe area overall on national rankings. Crime rankings are online.

Look on riliving.com for houses- you can do an advanced search and put in a lot of criteria.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyt View Post
Origionally from MA, but have been living in florida for the past 9 years. My family will be moving back to New England. My wife and I decided on Rhode Island because of what it has to offer, and close vicinity to family. I have a 3 yo and 4 year old now, and am looking for a safe, family oriented area. I am looking for a 3+bed/2+bath >2000sf and .5+ acres for around $250,000. The last time I was visiting my parents, we drove through some areas of Rhode Island, trying to get a feel of neighborhoods. I know we do not care for Coverntry nor North providence. We did enjoy Smithfield however. Is Smithfield a safe area? Will I be able to find a home in a good area of Smithfield, for what I can spend? (Florida real estate is much lower than New England, so I am at a disadvantage). Can someone recommend other affordable and safe family areas? I will probably rent initially, but want to be in an area that I will eventually buy in. I do not want to move my child out of his kindergarden class half way through the year. Thank you (can't wait to shovel snow again!)
I am surprised that you like Smithfield but not Coventry. I would stay out of the cities - Johnston, Cranston, Warwick, NProv, EProv, Woonsocket, Pawtucket for your price range. Also, most of Barrington, Newport, and E. Greenwich will be out of your price. Check out the following towns and village areas: Chepachet, Pascoag, Exeter, Foster, Glocester, South Kingstown - specifically PeaceDale and western, Charlestown, Carolina, N. Kingstown (Wickford and north end will be more expensive). Lincoln has a mix of high end homes with some medium range.

Personally, I'd stay west bay - the east bay generally is higher price range and tends to limit you geographically.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:42 AM

I must respectfully disagree- in part- Annie. Parts of Cranston, Warwick, and East Providence might suit this family very well. Prices have dropped considerably in these towns and the better areas of these cities have been discussed at length in this forum.

The East Bay is also generally more expensive, but as far as I'm concerned, for good reason. I would never recommend that someone stay out of it- but 'tis true- they do have a very modest budget for a 3/2 2000 sq ft house.

Perhaps the Op will return and tell us a little more about what is good for them???? So often, we answer and no one ever comes back to comment or report!!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Holly, I agree that parts of Cranston, Warwick, and EP might suit the family, I'm just not sure they can find a house within their budget and with the half acre.

If money was no object, I'd consider the East Bay but it was never somewhere I wanted to live. I can find a Barrington type neighborhood on the west bay and not have the longer drive to western parts of the state and I very much prefer the beaches of south county. I always felt crowded in/around Newport and Bristol.

But each of us like different areas for different reasons. RI sure has something for everyone. I miss it often but not the winters - and I cannot wait to move south for retirement - 2 more years!

Old 02-18-2010, 03:50 PM

It's amazing to me how much house you can get right now in rural RI. I just put in 20,000 sq ft lot and up, a 3/2, and up to 300k and came up with 200 (some in nearby MA and Ct so let's say it's at least 150) properties, some of which have more than 3/2.

This is a buyer's dream market for anyone with verifiable steady income. Also, don't forget the 8,000K first time buyer tax credit and the 6500k credit for just about everybody else.

Where are you planning to go down south Annie?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback. If you are looking for more specific info, I am looking for:
1. Suburb : Streets and developments that the icecream man comes down in the summer, houses are close enough to go trick or treating in the fall, but my son can kick a soccerball in the backyard without breaking the neighbor's window.
2. A major supermarket, Lowes, Starbucks is no more than 15 min away...but not a land of minimalls.
3. A middle-class, white collar neighborhood with the household income is 70-100k.
4. A small downtown area with a Norman Rockwell feel.
5. Community youth soccer, parks, fishing, gymnastics.
6. A good public school with option for catholic private school.
7. My children were adopted from Guatemala. My wife and I are white. A place where we don't have to explain our family to every hostess and chashier. (may not be an issue in RI, but after seeing your 1,000,00th confederate flag in Florida.....)

These are not in any particular order....and more are sure to come.
Thank you.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 PM

397 posts, read 1,399,217 times
Quote:
3. A middle-class, white collar neighborhood with the household income is 70-100k.
No offense but I'd like to think people who make a lot less can still consider themselves middle class. If you really are looking for a more conventional community, you'll have to pay considerably more (East Greenwich, Barrington). Many parts of RI have a good mix of collars, colors, and incomes. Parts of North Kingstown sounds like a good fit; you could get lucky there.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,766 times
Default advice: don't move here

trust me, I know

Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
No offense but I'd like to think people who make a lot less can still consider themselves middle class.
I do not doubt this. I guess I was saying I am not rich. It is a wierd situation....making a decent money and not being able to afford much house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island