Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 PM

253 posts, read 794,781 times

Advertisements

i'm interested in a university in rhode island and i'd like to know what the state is like. anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 06:35 PM

394 posts, read 1,397,414 times
Well, the URI area is very nice, rural country with nice towns and villages nearby, and big beaches 10-15 minutes away, where the water is pleasantly warm in July and August. There are several large bridges in the southern part of the state; tourists, and many summer residents. Its a populated state, densely around Providence, plenty of shopping places, small and large- you don't feel like you aren't where its at, but you aren't quite where it is at either, (like NYC, LA or Miami) what I'm saying is that you're not in Vermont or Iowa. People seem friendly to me, and I do pick up on this. There are lots of artists and students in Providence, beautiful, historic architecture, sort of a quaint and small feel. There is also a sort of seedy aspect. A lot of people seem to litter in the city, which is really getting to me lately.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
You didn't say which university, so the town you live in will make considerable difference.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:46 PM

253 posts, read 794,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You didn't say which university, so the town you live in will make considerable difference.

i'm interested in the University of Rhode Island in Kingston, RI. do you know what Kingston is like?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
If you're an outdoorsy, outdoor sports kind of person, it's a pretty challenging environment to keep a smile on your face.

The weather here is pretty horrible IMHO. (*IMHO: in MY opinion, yeah, MY OPINION)

Winter: Very cold, frequently snowy, frequently overcast, high humidity makes the cold much colder. Never a warm day to break up the cold, unlike in many other places in the US. Persistent freezing cold high winds.

Summer: Very high humidity. Frequent rain and drizzle. Less than 15 hot days/summer. (>85 dF) Frequent oppressive, raging humid winds that hit you like a ton of bricks. Personally, I love HOT weather and I really, really miss that here, especially after putting up for months with a terribly nasty, cold winter.

Spring: Cold and damp. Endless days of rain, fog and drizzle. Periods of wonderful, sunny, mild weather too. Frequent chilling, damp high winds.

Fall: Much better. Tends to be sunny and drier. Frequent cool winds. Best season in RI by far!

The landscape here has a distinctly Appalachian character and is simply GORGEOUS. But hey, Norway, Alaska and Greenland are also gorgeous, but I don't wanna live in those places either!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:02 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,996,651 times
The weather in Rhode Island is wonderful. Sure there are drawbacks at times, but that's consistent anywhere in the country.

What pohdncrzy isn't telling you is that while the rest of the Northeast got pounded with heavy snow and blizzard conditions this weekend, Rhody got a lot of rain (nothing too major) and some periods of sleet, with practically no accumulation. In fact, Winter weather in Rhode Island is the mildest in New England, and can compete with much of the Northeast in that regard as well. We had one mammoth blizzard back in December, (when DC and Baltimore and Philly - even the Big Apple got hit much much harder than we did) and since then no major snow events whatsoever. (And still, as of right now, we're actually one inch above average for seasonal snow fall!) Snow rarely remains on the ground for long intervals either.

I don't want to mischaracterize the climate here. It is not a warm one. All four seasons are fully realized, but to attempt a portrayal of the state's weather as something extreme or uncommon is totally unwarranted. (I'd also like to point out that Rhody has breaks in the cold winter weather quite commonly. Last Monday it was 50 degrees! I remember in February '06 there was a full week of 50 degree temperatures. This isn't a common event but it's not to be unexpected either.

If you like four seasons and some (but not too much) snow; if you like mostly warm beautiful summers; if you like temperate and scenic springs and autumns - you;'d like the weather here. If not, you probably belong somewhere much further South.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:44 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I'd also like to point out that Rhody has breaks in the cold winter weather quite commonly. Last Monday it was 50 degrees!
Well that's somewhat disengenuous. I remember that slightly warm day very well, much like taking note of a flower blooming whilst walking the Moon. Around here it was 46 dF most of the day and reached a high of 48 dF only between noon - 3:00 pm. I was peeved by how desperately inadequate it was, sort of like, let's say you've been starving in the desert for 3 weeks, finally somebody happens along and gives you half a Ritz cracker and a teaspoonful of water.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:05 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Pod complaining about the weather again.

What happened to that bus ticket to Tampa we organized for you?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 AM

564 posts, read 1,878,815 times
URI is on a somewhat rural location, but one of RI's selling points is is that nothing is too far away. I attended URI, lived in Narragansett, and worked in Warwick.
the weather is what it is. It's generally less severe here than in most of New England, and URI, being closer to the open ocean than Providence, Cranston, and Warwick, the weather is generally less severe than most Rhode Islanders experience. Yes, it gets cold and wet. Just makes me appreciate Spring and Summer all the more.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 7,735 times
I, too, am thinking of moving to attend the University of Rhode Island and am hoping for some housing advice. I currently enjoy the privilege of biking to work on the west coast and I do not own a car. without a car, where would you recommend I look to live? Is Providence too far away to take public transportation? Is there a shuttle service for students living in Providence to URI? Also, if I live in Kingston, for example, will I be able to do all my grocery shopping in town, without a car? Thanks for your advice! Would you recommend that I purchase a car prior to moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island