Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:03 AM

6 posts, read 29,286 times

Advertisements

hey everyone, I just moved to Providence 2 months ago to prepare an MBA in Johnson & Wales University, and I wonder where can I watch games of the world cup soccer organised in South Africa.
I'm from Morocco and in my country we love deeply this game, but since I'm in Providence, I realised that bars and pubs don't put soccer games but just baseball, basket ball or american football because those sports are the most famous in the USA.
Please, if someone could advice me where to go to watch the WC games, just let me know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 07:22 AM

15 posts, read 43,408 times
Hi,

I am also looking for a sports bar the will show the world cup. I am from Denmark and I am really excited about these games...
Lets team up. I will let you know and you let me know if you find a place to watch it.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:25 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,638 times
The English Cellar on Angel street has said they will be showing some of the World Cup games.

I believe RI RA (across from the mall) probably will as well. If you're willing to travel, a couple of pubs down in Newport often show soccer. Busker's and the Mudville Pub to be exact.

You'd be surprised, but last year the MLS (America's Soccer League) actually had slightly better television ratings than both the Hockey league and the Basketball league! It is slowly but surely getting more popular here. Will probably take a couple more decades though to be a top contender like baseball or American football.

Count me in as one yank who loooooves it. Then again, I hate American sports and my dad is from England haha. Speaking of which, the US looked better against Turkey than England did against Japan!

Anyway, if all else fails, you can always come over to my place. 42 inch High Definition Plasma and plenty of beer.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 PM

Hi guys thanks for replying, Henrik, I think our friend Rnrboy was really helpful about it, so I'll have a booze this friday or saturday in the bars he mentionned in Providence and I'll ask the bartender or the guys there if they will be showing at least the most interesting matchs such as brazil vs portugal...
Thanks a lot Rnrboy, but I wonder which team you'll support England or USA ! anyways, it would be definitely amazing to watch the game between those 2 teams in a nice american bar !
If you have more suggestions, please let me know !
ps: it would be great as well if I could watch a game in your HD Plasma

Old 05-31-2010, 01:04 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,638 times
Hi Jimi,

I will be supporting the US. (England is my second favorite, followed by Australia and New Zealand naturally. Of course the Kiwis don't stand a chance...) It would do so much for soccer in this country if we beat England, whereas if the Limeys lose it really won't hurt the sport over there.

Private message me with your Email address.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:14 PM

15 posts, read 43,408 times
The English Cellar, RI RA and @ rnrboy this is going to be a blast!!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM

Rnrboy, I believe that by time, the US soccer team would reach a great level; a deep and permanent strartegy should be conceived and applied by the US soccer federation so that teams in MLS enhance their training schools or centers, that's what we are doing actually in Morocco.
Maybe we could watch some WC games later in the bars you proposed, RIRA is just 10 min from my home, btw I live in Broadway.
@ Henrik : Group E is not that hard for Denmark, I think you ve just 1 serious adversary, it's the orange team Cameroun is a very ordianary team, I was in the stadium when they played against Morocco for the WC qualifications, and I can assure that you'll beat them ! Japan is actually a normal team as well, so danish guys have to concentrate more on Holland game.
see you guys.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,765 times
Default next saturday 7.30am WORLD CUP game anywhere in or around Newport??

There's GREECE Vs S.KOREA at 7.30am next Saturday on ESPN- does anybody have any idea of where I could watch it?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimivara View Post
hey everyone, I just moved to Providence 2 months ago to prepare an MBA in Johnson & Wales University, and I wonder where can I watch games of the world cup soccer organised in South Africa.
I'm from Morocco and in my country we love deeply this game, but since I'm in Providence, I realised that bars and pubs don't put soccer games but just baseball, basket ball or american football because those sports are the most famous in the USA.
Please, if someone could advice me where to go to watch the WC games, just let me know. Thank you.
Patrick's Pub on Smith Street always has the games on!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Patrick's Pub on Smith Street always has the games on!
thanks so much mr2448, I 'll defenitely spend lot of time in that club this june even though far from my home !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island