Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,460 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a 42 yr old male caucasion moving to rhode island to work at the Newport Naval Station as a civilian employee of the Navy. I have been preparing for this move for about 2 months, but what should i expect? I understand housing is more expensive than in Indianapolis, but work here for me has been dead for the past 9 months, 6 of which I have been unemployed due to lack of new work construction. I am looking for some feedback on schools in the newport-middletown-portsmouth area, work for my fiance and just an opinion of the area. I am an open minded friendly person and i am excited about the move I will be starting work on the 8th of november of 2009 and I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks alot and havea great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 AM

397 posts, read 1,399,883 times
Here's what a serviceman wrote about Middletown not too long ago:

Originally Posted by Africanme
We moved to Middletown RI 6 months ago, with a little apprehension. I researched like crazy and for some reason there are numerous negative posts regarding RI on this forum.
I can unequivocally tell you that we have loved it! The area is scenic. Unlike what others have told us, the people have been very friendly and helpful. I have enjoyed numerous conversations with total strangers and was welcomed by neighbors.
My children have fallen in love with it too!
Aquidneck Island has great charm and character and is unique. I find myself looking and looking and finding new things to see all the time. The history and architecture and overall feel of the town are great. It is unlike most cities that look the same no matter where you are.
I understand that it is small and employment can be a problem, but I wouldn't move anywhere unless I had a job.
I would recommend to anyone to at least come visit the area.
Please don't believe all the negative remarks regarding the people etc. the only downside I can see are the high taxes.
Good luck with your move!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,913,687 times
Too bad you don't surf Charlie- coming to RI and all..... just a little joke...

Take the job if it's a good offer. Schools are fine in the area- only one section of Newport not so good. Portsmouth- Middletown is OK.

Job for fiance will depend on her field and how employable she is.

You'll find housing but probably won't get as much for your money as in Ind. but as long as you lower your expectations in terms of size and amenities, you should do OK. The area is desirable and housing is in demand- many come in for tours of military duty.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM

thank you very much both of you for your info. I appreciate it.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 AM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times
Be sure you look at our photo thread we have at the top of the forum. There are several photos of the Newport area there.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:08 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
As far as schools are concerned: Portsmouth, Middletown....

The Newport district is a disgrace.

For a home.... Portsmouth or Middletown........and figure at least double of what you've been paying... whether renting or buying.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:15 AM

rental prices can be high here in indiana. 900-1000 for a 2 -3 bdrm in a good area. i have been searching craigslist and hotpads and talking to several realtors. The cost of buying a house is wayyyy up...lol

Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 10,086 times
I've lived in RI for 5 years and I hate it! But, I don't know why I hate it. I think because I'm southern and New Englanders are not as open and friendly as the south. We moved here when our son was mid 10th grade and moved to South Kingstown. He didn't fit in. Of course, we've always lived in big cities, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington DC - so this was a huge change. All in all though, I would recommend South Kingstown if you want a smaller town feel. You have everything here - shopping in Warwick - and the beaches VERY close. But, tourist season is killer - and they invade in droves.

But, I will say I love the seasons in RI. You truly get to experience every season at it's finest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island