Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,427 times

Advertisements

Hello al! I am 28 years old and looking for somewhere young, hip, artsy and diverse to live in Providence. I would prefer to be in the city, but I've never been to providence so I have no idea where to start looking! I would also like an lgbt friendly area if possible! What area would you suggest? Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:48 PM

36 posts, read 228,528 times
Fox Point is affordable and accessible to the RISD/Brown community. Most of the East Side is fairly artsy.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 AM

66 posts, read 221,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellychorn View Post
Hello al! I am 28 years old and looking for somewhere young, hip, artsy and diverse to live in Providence. I would prefer to be in the city, but I've never been to providence so I have no idea where to start looking! I would also like an lgbt friendly area if possible! What area would you suggest? Any advice would be so appreciated. Thanks!
Just about anywhere in Providence is LGBT-friendly or, at very least, it isn't really an issue.

If you are looking for the 'hippest' artsy place to live, that would probably be right downtown or "downcity" in a loft. Art, theatre, dining, shopping. Bam. It is all right there. For the most part, though, it isn't cheap and you can't really have a car if you would need one.

However, you didn't state your budget, whether you would have roommates (or want them), live alone, etc...so...

How hip, artsy, and diverse you want to get would pretty much relate to how much you have to spend on housing.

Providence's Armory neighborhood is, I would say, extremely diverse, has an artsy crowd to it, and is somewhat hip (though less so than during the 'boom') and is not as pricey as downtown. It borders Federal Hill and the West End, which is also an option. These two areas tend to be cheaper and go down in price and desirability as one goes west out of the city.

The East Side is artsy, diverse, and somewhat hip, too, but it is a large residential district and has a full range of quieter residential areas (Blackstone Boulevard and the upper end of Hope Street) with older adult residents and bustling younger areas (Wickenden Street and Thayer Street). The East Side is more expensive than the Armory/Broadway but I would say slightly less expensive than downtown depending on what part of the East Side you are looking at.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 AM

688 posts, read 2,136,783 times
If you're a starving artist you don't want Providence Downtown. If you're comfortable with your bank statements you'll be fine there. Otherwise, check out the Armory and parts of Pawtucket if you want artsy on a budget. East Side is nice, too, but not very cheap either. I don't think the LGBT thing is much of an issue anymore when it comes to the city.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,059,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lela33 View Post
Fox Point is affordable and accessible to the RISD/Brown community. Most of the East Side is fairly artsy.
East Street, John Street, Transit Street are part of the Fox Point/Wickenden Street area. Good area for walking and accessible to down city by foot. Even lower Benefit Street will fill the bill. Wickenden Street has many small shops and restaurants. Two of the best Sushi restaurants are there.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,567,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
East Street, John Street, Transit Street are part of the Fox Point/Wickenden Street area. Good area for walking and accessible to down city by foot. Even lower Benefit Street will fill the bill. Wickenden Street has many small shops and restaurants. Two of the best Sushi restaurants are there.
great art supply store on wickenden also, i think its called Utrecht.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:00 PM

986 posts, read 2,336,460 times
I would recommend the west side. The Broadway area of Federal Hill being my favorite and one of the more artsy and diverse areas. The Armory District is also very nice.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 AM

7 posts, read 41,947 times
There are lots of good places in Providence for you...overall, Providence is a very artsy kind of place....Thayer street, Wickendon Street, to name a cpl...but if you live there, be sure you like lots of noise and foot traffic...great places to visit, but to live there? Not for me. But there are quiet areas which are on the busline and can get you there in a few minutes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island