Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 AM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times

Advertisements

How would you describe the "feel" of the Richmond area to someone? What vibes does your city give off to folks experiencing it for the first time?
Would you recomment it as a good place to move to for empty nesters?
Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 09:47 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,874 times
Richmond is a Southern town in the sense of its slower pace and friendly people . There aren't too many frenzied, stressed out folks until you hit Short Pump, a far western suburb of Richmond. People in the City take pride in their local businesses whether it's restaurants or retail. We like that our streets aren't clogged with chain restaurants and strip malls. There's certainly on artsy, quirky vibe in some parts, due to the presence of a large arts college in the middle of the City. Visually the City is beautiful but a bit rough around the edges. Gorgeous old architecture abounds but so do vacant lots in some areas. It's a paradise for people who love the outdoors... what many consider the heart and soul of the City, the James River, runs right through the middle of the City offering whitewater for kayakers and rafters, fishing, swimming/sunning, and whatever else you like to do in the water. A lot of empty nesters are buying condos downtown to be close to the restaurants and culture that the City offers. It may be hard to get to know at first but for me, the journey is worth while. Ten years later I'm still learning new things about the City. All in all it offers a lot in a small package but hasn't nearly met its potential yet.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:26 AM

170 posts, read 583,043 times
Very well put, Ric75.

I'd like to add, Richmond has a lot of history behind it, I'm not a historian but it's fun to learn about it and once you know some of the history, it makes it even better living here.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:51 PM

55 posts, read 183,101 times
It depends on what you are looking for. If you like Civil War history then this is the place for you. If you want to live in the country, or suburbs, or very small city, then you have your choice here. I do feel that as a vibe, overall people are not as open here and tend to keep to themselves and their own cliques. I am not saying that people here are nasty... if you want aquaintances then you will find them here. But it is very hard to make friends here because the people have the friends they grew up with and don't usually let new people into their circle.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 AM

39 posts, read 87,001 times
I moved here a few months ago and agree with MisnSoFl. I am not expecting to meet a ton of people but they are polite but at the same time have their own things going on and stick to that.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:57 AM

717 posts, read 2,807,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaddy1 View Post
I moved here a few months ago and agree with MisnSoFl. I am not expecting to meet a ton of people but they are polite but at the same time have their own things going on and stick to that.

I know you haven't been in Richmond very long, but overall, how do you like it? Where did you move from?

Would really like to hear more of your experience there.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 PM

180 posts, read 406,339 times
Richmond Metro Area is a good place to raise kids, great location to beach, mountains or DC, see historical sites, etc. Best places to live are suburbs for schools, less crime, shopping, etc. One can take a chance when going downtown at night or driving through the wrong neighborhood. Richmond has the same downtown culture as many other cities. Politically, Richmond has been mired in racial politics since the sixties. Nothing has changed. In fact Richmond has seen a glamorous future disappear to Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and elsewhere because it cannot get it's governing act together. Still a great place to raise kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: