Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 48,423 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'll be moving to Richmond (from Canada) in July along with my girlfriend for work. We'll only be staying a year, so we're looking to rent. We're both young professionals (doctor, accountant), looking for an apartment or loft with an upscale feel in a safe, clean environment, preferably no animals allowed. I've found a couple of places in Short Pump which seem like good spots (Flats, Madison Spring Oak, Reflections at West Creek), but they seem to be a little far from the Fan and Laurel where we'll be working.....how's the traffic? Anyhow, whatever advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 04:26 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,703,908 times
Any interest in living downtown? I've lived at Madison at Spring Oak (when it first opened in '02) and it's a typical garden style apartment. I'd only lived in high rises before and that was a big adjustment and noise was an issue. The other two are probably similar with the Flats being the newest. I know the Flats allows pets. People complain about Short Pump traffic. It's bad on the weekends, but it depends on your point of reference. I've lived in the suburbs of NYC, Northern Virginia, and Chicago so to me it is a non issue. All three are convenient to everyday shopping (grocery stores, big box stores, etc) and Short Pump Town Center which is a great outdoor mall.

I have a family member that lives in the Lucky Strike building in Shokoe Bottom and loves it. Whenever I visit her there seem to be a lot of young professionals. She looked at Pohlig Box factory too which is a very neat building.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,277 times
SLS, can you suggest some places downtown as well?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:47 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,703,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermestic View Post
SLS, can you suggest some places downtown as well?
Honestly, I don't know downtown well. My sister moved here this fall and she is more of an urban dweller than I am and she did a lot of research and the only units she looked at were in Shokoe Bottom. I loved Pohlig Box Factory but there wasn't anything available that suited her needs. She looked at a ton of units in the River Lofts--some much nicer than others--and ended up falling in love with a unit in the Lucky Strike building. She seems quite content there. Other than that, I just am completely unfamiliar with downtown living.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 AM

323 posts, read 529,784 times
Look at Rocketts Landing downtown near the river - there is also a great restaurant call Bookbinders which is located in a building downtown/slip area that has apartments & lofts in there

Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,781,772 times
If you are worried about distance from the fan, why not live in it? It's a nice place to live.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 AM

55 posts, read 243,858 times
Look at riverside on the james (1101 Haxall Pt), they are private owned but usually some for rent. I'm a professional as well and looked at EVERY rental in downtown RIC before picking this place. It's walking distance to everything, SECURE GARAGED parking and some nice views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond