Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,888,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
We can't agree.. then there won't be an argument..lol

Downtown need to attract & keep middle class families. Most projects seem to attract empty nesters, those with families bail when school starts because they can't afford living in the city and private school. Shopping for everyday is definitely needed families can not afford to living on small grocers/stores.

The city needs a complete plan and they need to stick to it! Look at Norfolk they spend over 20 years redesigning downtown, there were times it stopped, times is got adjusted but they never abandoned it. Now they have a cohesive living area with a good mix of living & work & tourist all mixed together.

European train travel is fun but when you look at the size of these countries trains are a great way to get from one city to another. Trust me though they have a massive car culture with all the back-ups and pollution we do. What is different is their is a lesser culture of suburbs than we have..
Downtown certainly has an issue with the school thing. The Fan and the Museum Districts are better, and I see quite a few people with kids. Schools in cities is an issue nationwide (except for maybe NYC...not sure), and it's kind of a chicken and egg discussion, depending on where the school funding comes from. First, we need to get the people without kids in there so that the tax base can grow. Then hopefully, funds for that school will increase, allowing more people with kids to inhabit the area. Not sure that that will work everywhere.

I hear people say that Europe is different, but there are areas of the country that aren't too dissimilar: the NE, parts of the mid-west, parts of CA, etc. The US is definitely more spread out on an overall level, but the country did have over 100 systems of streetcars at the turn of the 20th century. Even small cities of 10,000 had them. All cities in the US require mass transit systems, and there are tons of places that require some sort of intercity rail. The question in this thread is, where does HSR belong? I think HSR belongs more in those areas that I mentioned earlier in this paragraph, starting with the NE (which it already has, but barely considered HSR IMO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,886,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Downtown certainly has an issue with the school thing. The Fan and the Museum Districts are better, and I see quite a few people with kids. Schools in cities is an issue nationwide (except for maybe NYC...not sure), and it's kind of a chicken and egg discussion, depending on where the school funding comes from. First, we need to get the people without kids in there so that the tax base can grow. Then hopefully, funds for that school will increase, allowing more people with kids to inhabit the area. Not sure that that will work everywhere.

I hear people say that Europe is different, but there are areas of the country that aren't too dissimilar: the NE, parts of the mid-west, parts of CA, etc. The US is definitely more spread out on an overall level, but the country did have over 100 systems of streetcars at the turn of the 20th century. Even small cities of 10,000 had them. All cities in the US require mass transit systems, and there are tons of places that require some sort of intercity rail. The question in this thread is, where does HSR belong? I think HSR belongs more in those areas that I mentioned earlier in this paragraph, starting with the NE (which it already has, but barely considered HSR IMO).
Our Railway towns and cities outgrew our Auto-built cities and towns this past decade.... Some by 20% , over the next decade my state will expand / restore 8 lines and upgrade 13 Stations.... All the towns that are connected to Rail are taking full advantage of the areas of the stations..... redeveloping them....into Dense Residential / Retail sites..... Which brings jobs and new revenue for those towns.... As for LRT / Streetcars there coming back slowly Philly is restoring 57-70 miles of lines that were partially abandoned to the delight of the residents and business owners along those lines.... DC , Newark , Providence , Stamford , Baltimore , New Brunswick , and Boston have plans to build or expand there systems , its not to the extent of what it once was but its a start....

Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 AM

19,281 posts, read 17,154,523 times
Quote:
The question in this thread is, where does HSR belong?
If implemented I think only key stops in each state should be implemented like DC, Richmond, Raleigh, Charlotte then Atlanta. If you start stopping at every podunk along the way the benefit of HSR will be lost.... They also need to look at where cost/time of the HSR is worse than a plane ride. I would think Atlanta to NY for a buisness meeting would be better server by flying but Charlotte to atlanta would be much better on HSR.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Our Railway towns and cities outgrew our Auto-built cities and towns this past decade.... Some by 20% , over the next decade my state will expand / restore 8 lines and upgrade 13 Stations.... All the towns that are connected to Rail are taking full advantage of the areas of the stations..... redeveloping them....into Dense Residential / Retail sites..... Which brings jobs and new revenue for those towns.... As for LRT / Streetcars there coming back slowly Philly is restoring 57-70 miles of lines that were partially abandoned to the delight of the residents and business owners along those lines.... DC , Newark , Providence , Stamford , Baltimore , New Brunswick , and Boston have plans to build or expand there systems , its not to the extent of what it once was but its a start....
That's interesting. I was aware that SEPTA had many plans in the pipeline, including the upgrade of train cars and some stations (especially on the Broad st. line), but I didn't know they were restoring 57 - 70 miles of lines. Is this info on SEPTA's website? I'm moving to Philly this year, hence my interest.

I think that rail is going to inevitably going to be restored in many places. The problem is that the economy sucks (and is probably going to stay that way), and many cities that want to push through these projects can't do it now. It's frustrating because these projects should have been done back in the 70s when gas prices started to become a problem, and before we invested more into highways (in fact, our streetcar systems should never have been abandoned in the first place). Our automobiles should have been made more efficiently, but people like to trade efficiency for power.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
If implemented I think only key stops in each state should be implemented like DC, Richmond, Raleigh, Charlotte then Atlanta. If you start stopping at every podunk along the way the benefit of HSR will be lost.... They also need to look at where cost/time of the HSR is worse than a plane ride. I would think Atlanta to NY for a buisness meeting would be better server by flying but Charlotte to atlanta would be much better on HSR.
Exactly. As resounded on these forums before, 400 - 500 miles is the extent to which HSR is truly effective. Anything over that, and flying is the better option.

They should have the same setup here that they do overseas. HSR with minimal stops, which is sold as being multi-regional. Then they should have rail service that's within the region, thus demanding more stops. The biggest problem with our rail network right now is that passenger trains share the tracks with freight. I've gotten stuck on Amtrak for hours because there was an issue with a a freight train in front of us. I won't even take the train from Richmond to DC anymore because it's so frequently delayed (especially if you go from downtown instead of Staples Mill).

Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 AM

894 posts, read 2,318,801 times
Since Richmond and Hampton Roads metro areas border each other and both have over a million people each, and Richmond's metro borders DC's, I think it would be illogical to not have HSR connectiong the three areas. Many people in VA regularly go to NYC etc.

And on another note, the east coast as it is, is the most densely populated part of the country, from Florida to NH. Virginia is the 16th most densely populated state out of 50! And the bulk of VA's population is in the eastern half along i64 and up i95. Richmond is in a prime location for it to be a hub on the east coast between the north and the south. It only makes sense to have it extended to connect all the major areas of the east. And believe it or not, Richmond is an important city even if many feel it's not.

I know it will be expensive, but what are we going to do? Gas keeps going up, oil will eventually run out, pollution is out of control. We have to do something now, to reap the benefits in the future. The status quo is failing and it is not good enough anymore.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,886,950 times
Quote:
That's interesting. I was aware that SEPTA had many plans in the pipeline, including the upgrade of train cars and some stations (especially on the Broad st. line), but I didn't know they were restoring 57 - 70 miles of lines. Is this info on SEPTA's website? I'm moving to Philly this year, hence my interest.

I think that rail is going to inevitably going to be restored in many places. The problem is that the economy sucks (and is probably going to stay that way), and many cities that want to push through these projects can't do it now. It's frustrating because these projects should have been done back in the 70s when gas prices started to become a problem, and before we invested more into highways (in fact, our streetcar systems should never have been abandoned in the first place). Our automobiles should have been made more efficiently, but people like to trade efficiency for power.
Its Septa Hobby / employee knowledge....

Heres a Map and the list of improvements / Expansions to Septa over the next 10 years. Funding is an issue hench why many , people put 2050 as the target date. Compared to surrounding states....The Infastrature has been preserved though , so restoration will be cheap.

Restoration of the Newton line
Restoration of the Reading line
Restoration of the West Chester line to Wawa
Upgrades to the Signal System
Replacement of Regional Rail wires
Norristown High Speed Trolley Extension to KOP / Reading line
Waterfront Light Rail
Naval Yards Light Rail
Restoration of the 23 Trolley
Restoration of the 56 Trolley
City Hall - Waterfront Trolley connection

SE PA 2050 Rail / Inner Urban Transit Plans & Proposals - Google Maps

Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its Septa Hobby / employee knowledge....

Heres a Map and the list of improvements / Expansions to Septa over the next 10 years. Funding is an issue hench why many , people put 2050 as the target date. Compared to surrounding states....The Infastrature has been preserved though , so restoration will be cheap.

Restoration of the Newton line
Restoration of the Reading line
Restoration of the West Chester line to Wawa
Upgrades to the Signal System
Replacement of Regional Rail wires
Norristown High Speed Trolley Extension to KOP / Reading line
Waterfront Light Rail
Naval Yards Light Rail
Restoration of the 23 Trolley
Restoration of the 56 Trolley
City Hall - Waterfront Trolley connection

SE PA 2050 Rail / Inner Urban Transit Plans & Proposals - Google Maps
Thanks for the link. I always appreciate your maps. Any idea as to which will be most likely to happen in the near future? There are so many I'm hopeful for. Especially in South Philly....there are some serious gaps where you have to walk to get to a station, even though it's a great walkable environment (but quite large).

Edit - Sorry for taking this thread so far off topic. Perhaps you can respond through DM? Back to the Richmond discussion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond