Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,707,805 times

Advertisements

Jones proposes 65-block arts district for downtown | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/flair/2011/feb/15/tdmet01-richmond-mayor-proposing-65-block-arts-dis-ar-843342/ - broken link)

Richmond mayor envisions downtown area of 65 blocks.

Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones is proposing to designate a large portion of downtown, including sections of Broad, North Second and Grace streets, as an arts and cultural district.

In an effort to spur investment and redevelopment, Jones is asking the City Council to create the ArtBusiness Richmond district for an area covering about 65 blocks.

"We know that arts and culture are a catalyst for economic development," Jones told council members in a lunch meeting Monday.

Jones announced the district during his recent State of the City address and introduced the proposal Monday for formal review over the coming weeks. Officials said they believe the downtown district could be a model that could be replicated in other areas, such as Manchester.

Under the proposal, businesses and property owners in the district would have enhanced and, in some cases, exclusive access to loan programs for building renovations, grants for façade improvements and technical assistance. To qualify, businesses or properties need not be involved in the arts.

"The question for us is, is it a value-added for the district?" said Peter H. Chapman, deputy chief administrative officer for economic and community development and acting director of economic development. "An arts district needs coffee shops. An arts district needs a convenience store. An arts district needs basic goods and services."

The area targeted for the district is already home to various arts venues, including The National theater, Richmond CenterStage and art galleries that are showcased through the monthly First Fridays Art Walk.

The district also would be branded as a destination for the arts, culture and entertainment, providing opportunities for grants from prominent foundations that support the arts, Chapman said.

"It's about ... creating an identity that will be beneficial to this community," he said.

In developing the mayor's proposal, city officials looked at arts districts in New York and Chicago, Chapman said.

John Bryan, president of CultureWorks, a nonprofit group that supports development of the arts in the Richmond region, said Jones should be commended for recognizing the power of the arts in creating thriving communities. He predicted the proposed district would help create vibrant areas throughout downtown.

"This is a long-term effort," he said. "They start and build and grow."

Council briefed on liaison investigation

During a closed meeting that lasted longer than 90 minutes, the council received a report from Norfolk-based attorney Samuel J. Webster on his investigation into allegations made by council liaison Jennifer Walle against Council President Kathy C. Graziano and her 4th District liaison, David Hathcock.

Walle, liaison to 1st District Councilman Bruce W. Tyler, has filed a civil battery lawsuit, claiming that city officials and Graziano failed to take action after Hathcock touched Walle in a sexual manner. The suit against the city, Graziano and Hathcock seeks $350,000 in punitive damages against each defendant and $200,000 in compensatory damages. Walle also is pursuing an investigation by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Before the meeting, City Attorney Allen L. Jackson said Webster's work for the city may not be finished because litigation is pending.

"He's done enough that he's prepared to give a report," Jackson said.

On the advice of her attorney, Walle would not participate in Webster's investigation. She has said she would consider dropping the matter if she receives an apology.

Council members would not discuss Webster's findings after the meeting.

"We received the report. He was thorough. Now, we have to see where it lands," Tyler said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM

370 posts, read 1,011,183 times
A grand vision that's long overdue. I give Mayor Jones credit here for thinking about the big picture. Downtown Richmond has many interesting sections but they are all divided by areas of empty buildings or blight. This will encourage infill and bring the puzzle pieces together to finally make a whole. Support it 100%.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM

383 posts, read 1,017,615 times
Bravo --- sure beats "Six Street Market Place" !

Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,320,985 times
Awesome news.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,788,912 times
I'm 100% behind the proposal.
Or, I'd say more like 95% behind the proposal.

My only concern is with the size and scope of the proposed district.
Its too big in my opinion.

It should use Grace as its southern border, instead of Franklin.
8th should be its eastern border. No need to include Capitol Square, City Hall or MCV.
I can understand wanting to incorporate Clay St and parts further into Jackson Ward as a means to stimulate growth and economic activity, but its unnecessary for Franklin Street or the MCV area. It just 'dilutes' the district, so to speak. The district should be as compact and concentrated as possible while still incorporating legitimate artistic and cultural venues.

And the proposed name sucks. Just call it the Arts District.

PS: I don't mean to sound like a Debby Downer at all. I still am really impressed with the idea and will absolutely support it in whatever means possible. I actually live in this district and will support anything that will stimulate growth and activity in the area.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,320,985 times
I'd agree with you 100% on that.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:01 PM

73 posts, read 165,383 times
Grear proposal. Arts district would be a phenomenal addition. Aders so you are seing the silver lining after all... FYI I was at a get together yesterday where a stalwart Richmond neurosurgeon reflected on how diverse the city has become and how it has grown. Making change without preparing for it can lead to feelings of frustration, stress, and possibly, failure. But this idea of an art district is just awesome. By the way the last time I visited Richmond I took the family to the Children's Museum but was shocked to the road it sits on. Now it is smooth as a carpet. Again, a positive change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond