Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 AM

7 posts, read 13,281 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are relocating from LA to the Richmond area this month. We are so excited to move somewhere with beautiful, affordable neighborhoods. We would love an older home with some character, but we do need good school districts as well for our 2 young daughters. I would really appreciate any advice as we are completely unfamiliar with the area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 AM

7 posts, read 17,209 times
If you are looking at the Short Pump area of Virginia (great shopping, terrific schools!), look for homes in the Godwin High School zone, or the Deep Run High School zone.

If you are looking at the Midlothian area (great schools, great shopping, but the Short Pump area is more 'high end'), stick to areas in either the Cosby High School zone or the Midlothian High School zone. This is a good search engine, just click the 'School' tab, type in the school you are looking for, set your criteria and there you go:

Real Estate Search — Long & Foster

Good Luck!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 AM

13 posts, read 34,596 times
Launce:

You're not going to find any old home character in the areas mentioned above (e.g., Short Pump). In fact, if you're looking for the combination of good public schools and older neighborhoods (i.e., pre-1960s) just about the only area for you is just over the Henrico county line near UofR. Westham, Rollingwood, and the like. We moved in about 6 months ago and have been very pleased.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
launce, are you coming in with a job transfer? If so, where will that person be working? The way gas prices are rising (although at $3.39 here it may be small potatoes compared to LA!) you may want to stay on the same side of the river as the job!

Another question would be when you say old, what do you consider old? Some people think 10 years is old while others think 25. Also, what are you looking for in a community? Pool or no pool? HOA/planned community concept or no?

I know, I know, tons of questions! My children are constantly telling me I ask too many! As a mom with kids in the Chesterfield County School System (Chesterfield County Public Schools), I can tell you that it was a very smooth transition for my children when we relocated here. The teachers and admininstrators of their individual schools have been fantastic.

If you want, do a search for some of my previous posts on Chesterfield County. I've tried to put a lot out there for other folks relocating in just like you and your family. Unfortunately about all I know about Henrico is how to get to the Short Pump Towne Center, so can't help you too much there. But give us just a bit more info to the questions I've asked and I know others will chime in. We're a pretty helpful bunch!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 AM

72 posts, read 297,258 times
not sure of school situations, but older home neighborhoods- check the Fan, and Bellevue (northside Richmond), also near westend which is just west of the Fan has lots of great old houses- but remember, although they are nice to be in- old houses often need upgrades & work- I'm a victim of one - but I still love it

Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMProf View Post
Launce:

You're not going to find any old home character in the areas mentioned above (e.g., Short Pump). In fact, if you're looking for the combination of good public schools and older neighborhoods (i.e., pre-1960s) just about the only area for you is just over the Henrico county line near UofR. Westham, Rollingwood, and the like. We moved in about 6 months ago and have been very pleased.

This is true, I fear, at least past elementary school. There are good elemetary schools (3) in the city. No good middle schools, really, unless you go private

I personally would only call a house old with a straight face if it were built before WWII. And sadly find that very few houses built after the second world war have any character. Possible, but really rare.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 13,281 times
Sorry, I have not been on in a while. We were mid-move! We are now happily settled in an apartment in Mechanicsville.

My husbands job is in Hanover County, about midway between Glen Allen and Mechanicsville. It would be nice to be close to that area but we are open. After doing LA commutes for the last decade we don't mind a bit of a drive, at least the traffic moves here!

I agree with the previous poster, I consider an older home to be built in the 40's or earlier. I am not a fan of planned communities.

I really appreciate the help!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
How much are you looking to spend? How many beds? I found a few here in Henrico with the criteria of built 1940 or younger...one I am looking at was built in 1910 and is listed at $579950... 1709 Lakeside Ave Richmond VA - Listing of a Home for Sale - Real Estate - MLS #1035323 - Realtor.com®

This one was built in 1940 Real estate listing for 2402 Wedgewood Ave Richmond VA - Home for Sale - MLS #1107178 - Realtor.com®

1916 Real estate at 10785 Old Washington Hwy Glen Allen VA - Property Details - MLS #1029780 - Realtor.com®

1937 5417 Chamberlayne Ave Richmond VA - Homes for Sale and Real Estate - MLS #1033683 - Realtor.com®

1937 2129 Ginter St Richmond VA - Listing of a Home for Sale - Real Estate - MLS #1101410 - Realtor.com®

These are just a few in area 32 or 34 which is Henrico County. Hanover County:
1912 5163 Pole Green Rd Mechanicsville VA - Real Estate for Sale and Homes for Sale - MLS #1033269 - Realtor.com®

1940 3590 River Rd Mechanicsville VA - Homes for Sale and Real Estate - MLS #1034278 - Realtor.com®

These are just a few I quickly found. I would suggest you contact a Realtor as we can tailor searches to what you are looking for, but in the meantime I hope this helps. Congrats on the move - I know it can be a process!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 AM

72 posts, read 297,258 times
In Hanover- look in Ashland- some old neighborhoods right in town & great public schools

Old 04-02-2011, 01:51 PM

689 posts, read 1,615,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBB View Post
not sure of school situations, but older home neighborhoods- check the Fan, and Bellevue (northside Richmond), also near westend which is just west of the Fan has lots of great old houses- but remember, although they are nice to be in- old houses often need upgrades & work- I'm a victim of one - but I still love it
These areas do have fabulous old homes, but the only "good" schools would be the neighborhood elementary schools (and not all of them qualify), and you'd probably find a lot of your neighbors sending their kids to private school. The affluent parts of the city can opt out of the crappy city schools. the best schools are in the far West End, Henrico County, and Chesterfield. A compromise might be the Bon Air neighborhood -- established, older homes, but feed into Robious Middle and James River, an excellent high school. Midlothian HS is also great. In the far West End you'll find houses built in the last 30 years, but extremely family-oriented, and excellent schools -- look at Short Pump area. Another compromise would be the near West End, anything that is in the Mary Munford district -- this is an excellent elementary school, but again, you'd want to learn more about the middle and high school.

If I were you I'd rent in one of the areas with really good schools, then explore the more risky areas once you get here, and figure out where you really want to live. In any of these feeder areas of Chesterfield and Henrico your children will have tons of kids around to help with the transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond