Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:41 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,321,323 times

Advertisements

Fox Elementary (located in the Fan District) and Linwood Holton (located in Bellevue, Ginter Park) have good reputations in their neighborhoods as well.

Richmond also has the new Patrick Henry charter school.
Patrick Henry School of Science and Arts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 03:08 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,427,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Are they really that awful? I hear a lot about Chesterfield and Henrico, but I'm not really crazy about suburbs. I find them rather bland and dull, and I'd rather live within a city. I'm a single parent and I can't afford private schools, so I'd like to live someplace with decent public schools. I like Richmond because it's not too big, not too small, the weather seems nice there, the cost of living is extremely reasonable, and it seems to have a lot of culture and history. I thought the schools were another plus, so please tell maybe my perspective is off coming from a horrible school district, or is there really a problem, other than being inner city, with the schools there. Thanks.
Unless your planning to live downtown, there's no difference between in Living between The City, Henrico or Chesterfield. Most areas in Henrico & Cfield your address will still be Richmond...for now at least. The City Schools are crap you'd be nuts to move there when you can live over the border in Henrico have great schools and a nice safe place to live. Without looking at the leaving Richmond sign you wouldn't know when you left the city and entered the county at either border.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM

I guess I'm nuts...

Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,708,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
I guess I'm nuts...

I think it's a bit obvious by now.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Oh hey it's Mr. Happy! How's utopia hunting?

Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,489,634 times
Default an update...

Just to let you know what I've come up with so far...

I read the news articles about the 2 employees who tampered with test scores, and it looks like it was discovered and dealt with pretty quickly. I don't expect people to never screw up or do stupid things, but in this case I can say that I'm glad that it wasn't brushed under the rug, and tests are being redone for an accurate score of those schools.

Also, I think I'm sold on Richmond. I haven't seen any other city that I've fell in love with like I have Richmond. I looked into Roanoke, and although it seems like a nice enough little town, it just doesn't have the character that Richmond seems to.

Another little note, that schooldigger.com website...it's kind of weird and hard to understand. They'll give a school low stars, but when you look at the actual test scores and percentages, they're at the state average or above. I don't understand how they do the scoring. I still have a feeling that Richmond schools may not be that terrible. Anybody who thinks Richmond is a bad place to live should come to Rockford IL.

Anyway, thanks for all your input. Hopefully I'll be visiting your town soon!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 PM

121 posts, read 271,161 times
I am going to stick up for Richmond City Schools, being a product of Binford MS in the mid-80s-- before it was a model school, when it drew from some of the worst neighborhoods in the City. A lot of students were in gangs, a few were convicted felons in adulthood. BUT, in reconnecting with many of my former classmates via Facebook, a lot of them have made good lives for themselves. When it comes down to it, a student's performance is more than just about the school and classmates.

There are still some fine elementary schools, like Fox; and for high school, there are alternatives like Richmond Community and Open. It is also easier to get into Maggie Walker from the city, as well... it's not like you won't run into different types of problems in the county schools, either....

Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,268,947 times
Yeah, I went to Boushall Middle School (South Richmond) for a year as a child and after describing my experience, my family took a huge rent increase and moved right back to Henrico when the lease was up. It is really that bad.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 PM

269 posts, read 256,162 times
It's not good. Trust as someone who went through the experience not too long ago. It's definitely not good.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,708,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkang View Post
I am going to stick up for Richmond City Schools, being a product of Binford MS in the mid-80s-- before it was a model school, when it drew from some of the worst neighborhoods in the City. A lot of students were in gangs, a few were convicted felons in adulthood. BUT, in reconnecting with many of my former classmates via Facebook, a lot of them have made good lives for themselves. When it comes down to it, a student's performance is more than just about the school and classmates.

There are still some fine elementary schools, like Fox; and for high school, there are alternatives like Richmond Community and Open. It is also easier to get into Maggie Walker from the city, as well... it's not like you won't run into different types of problems in the county schools, either....
So you're going to recommend Richmond schools based on your experience ..in the 80s? I just want to be sure that I read that correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond