Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,655 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Virginia in the near future and really not sure where to move to. I have been through the state and spent a little time in Williamsburg and thought it was beautiful there, but a little too suburban for me.

I am a single female, no kids, late 40's, and have 2 large dogs.
I don't have to commute, so job availability/travel isn't a concern.
I like the historic areas and areas with character (very lacking in AZ)
I couldn't care less about artsy things and diversity.
I would like some availability of single men from 35-55.
I would prefer to be around younger people rather than a retirement area.
I love the mountains and green and don't really care about water.
I also have a bit of a problem with ragweed and similar allergies.

With all this being said I would like to keep the rent under $900 a month, but just need 1 bedroom and a place that will allow my dogs.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 AM

5,065 posts, read 6,372,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative-moving View Post
I am planning on moving to Virginia in the near future and really not sure where to move to. I have been through the state and spent a little time in Williamsburg and thought it was beautiful there, but a little too suburban for me.

I've lived in both.

Quote:
Richmond.

Quote:
Not sure this needs a 'vote' since you don't care. Hampton Roads has more stuff but is immensely spread out (I always thought of it a little like LA where there are many distinct neighborhoods but you'll be driving). Richmond has less stuff but is more accessible. Diversity's fine in both areas.

Quote:
Hampton Roads by a landslide (huge military area).

Quote:
Hampton Roads, but there's nothing wrong with Richmond.

Quote:
Richmond. Hampton Roads is all about water, Richmond is closer to mountains.

Quote:
You have to go visit both and see. Can't tell how you'll react to the areas. Personally my few allergies kicked off harder in Hampton Roads, but others may have a different experience.

Quote:
With all this being said I would like to keep the rent under $900 a month, but just need 1 bedroom and a place that will allow my dogs.
Can be done in both.

Quote:
Go visit both. They both have their own character and it's distinct from the other. I personally prefer Richmond, but barely and if I were told I had to go live in Hampton Roads again it wouldn't hurt my heart one little bit.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,272,693 times

Richmond
Richmond is artsier HR more diverse (so i guess that the negative points balance)
Hampton Roads - military
Hampton Roads. HR has a younger population but Richmond has more people in their 30/40's IMO. The youth keeps the pace slightly faster.
Richmond
Richmond. Hampton Roads is worse for allergies all around
Richmond is cheaper.

Richmond is better for you. The historic charm is the opposite of what i hear about Arizona. Everything in the area revolves around Shockhoe Bottom, The Fan/Carytown, and Short Pump in terms of restaurants and adult recreation. You should be okay for at least a year or two discovering new things. Also, the price tips the scale.

Hampton Roads would be fine as well. I think that they have more events and the area and it is more vast. Norfolk would be the best area if you decided to go there (particularly the Ghent area). Virginia Beach has the most things to do but will remind you a east-coast watered down version of Cali (as preciously suggested) or Arizona.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM

144 posts, read 420,460 times
I love VB (water) and tried to move there this year but ended up in Central VA. I've never considered the rest of HR but... Hampton or Chesapeake would be it. I'm from DC but lived in Southern MD (East BF) for the last 6yrs. Now I have the best of both worlds by living in the Richmond area. I'm single and mid 30's so being able to live in peace but, shop, dine and date in the busy city is awesome.

When I want to go to my fav spot I just drive 2hrs to VB for the weekend and enjoy it's life. As for dating, I see many options in Richmond on the social sites and I am certain the college kids keep the city young. I agree with the rent range working in both areas and as for dogs, if neither are pit bulls you should be fine.

Best of luck! :-)

Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 PM

52 posts, read 113,493 times
May I ask, How are the rentals? Should one go to a real estate agency? what are the requirements? How is the job situation there? Any info posted will B appreciated... Thank you so much.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,788,237 times
Per your criteria, richmond, no brainer. Hampton roads will be much more like Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond