Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,537,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Yes, you would probably regret it. High schools in Richmond have serious problems unless you can get into one of the specialty schools, and that's not at all certain. You can either have the "walk to all stuff, buying organic groceries, I'm a city dweller feeling" in places like the fan, or live in the suburbs and have good schools.

You don't automatically get it both ways in any large city I am aware of. There's a reason "cookie cutter" subdivisions sell, and it's not because people that move there have no souls or are uncultured louts or actively want to live away from the "excitement": it's because it's affordable, relatively safe, usually have better school systems, and for the cost, the quality is acceptable (go ahead, spend half a million for a Fan townhouse that is half the size and has serious structural problems: I'll save my money, thanks).
Not all cities are this way, but definitely most. Too bad, may need to rethink my plan.

Thanks to all for the responses & help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 AM

24 posts, read 80,352 times
Havng spent ten years living on Capitol Hill before I moved to Richmond, I think i have some idea of where you're coming from and what you're looking for. As near as I can tell, all of the previous posters are correct as regards the Richmond City schools. Elementary schools are fine, in a few cases excellent, and the quality significantly declines in middle and high schools. My wife and I are having our first child soon, and im already thinking about this since we live in the city. The big thing to be prepared for with a move from the pacific northwest to the south is the poverty and disparity between the haves and the have nots. There are simply no bad neighborhoods to speak of in Seattle as compared to Richmond. The higher income base, higher tax rates, and higher revenues generated, all contribute to Seattle being cleaner, richer, and more safe than comparitive cities in the south. Richmond simply lacks both the tax base and mentality to dedicate 1% of all tax revenue to public art projects, for example, while Seattle does. This begs the question, then, of why did I move here? I'll tell you why, and it may help in your decision process:

1. I can afford a house in the nice part of the city, with a good elementary school, within walking distance fpto restaurants, grocery stores, and gamers markets. Contrary to previous posters statements, the house is not structurally unsound, though it is in need of updating. A comparative buy on Capitol Hill in Seattle would cost several million. I got this house for under 300 grand
2. There is no traffic to speak of in the Richmond area. I found it very difficult to get around in a car in Seattle. You would be shocked at the 2-minute back-ups that people consider an inconvenience here.
3. People do indeed go white water rafting and kayaking through the middle of the city. There are 15 miles of quality mountain-biking single track trails in the middle of the city. Richmond will be hosting the world's cycling championships in 2015. Neither Seattle or Portland have anything comparable in these regards. Richmond has a long ways to go in terms of being a bike able community, but it is VA's top city for bike commuting (1-2% versus Portland's 5-7%). Richmond is on the way up in this regard, but still has a very long way to go.
4. The weather here is nicer than the PNW. The summers are hotter and more humid, and the winters are colder. It does not, however, rain steadily from October to May. Fall and Spring are the nicest times of the year.

All of this being said, be prepared for a more conservative environment if you end up moving here. There are pockets of more moderate and liberal neighborhoods, but as a general rule, I think that the western part of the city is more liberal, and the surrounding counties are more conservative. You won't want to live in the eastern part of the city. When I worked as an RN in Seattle, there was a strong union presence, with correspondingly good benefits and pay. The southeast is generally anti-union, and that combined with a lower cost of living means that your pay and benefits as an RN will not be as good. Housing, groceries, entertainment, and other things are significantly cheaper here.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,436,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Hi. We are seeking a new home (ie. more affordable than Seattle, on the East Coast, state w/ good colleges), and VA is one of our top choices.

Richmond appeals to us b/c it has access to history and culture. We desire to live in an urban setting, something walkable w/ lots of independent shops, not the suburbs. However, we also need a safe area w/ good schools in which to raise our kids. Is there a safe and educated neighborhood located within Richmond?

Thank you!

Also, any photos/videos of local communities would be much appreciated.
The words URBAN and GOOD SCHOOLS usually don't go together. The Richmond area is great, but I wouldn't live within city limits if you need good schools. Look at Henrico County.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,964,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
The words URBAN and GOOD SCHOOLS usually don't go together. The Richmond area is great, but I wouldn't live within city limits if you need good schools. Look at Henrico County.
Or Chesterfield County

Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 PM

13 posts, read 34,686 times
Seattle Gal:

Just need to add to the chorus above that's exactly right: city can be fine for elementary but unfortunately you run into trouble beyond that. I posted here about 2 years ago with nearly an identical question in anticipation of my move. What you may have missed in the above comments, however, is that you *can* move just over the city line into Henrico County in the near west end (roughly just past the University of Richmond). The houses are not as old as in the city, don't have the same character, but, its not a bad compromise and it is MUCH different from the suburban sprawl you'll find out toward Short Pump (the "far west end"). The schools in my neighborhood are great (Tuckahoe Elementary, Tuckahoe Middle, Freeman High) and the neighborhoods still have some character, albeit not as cool as the fan.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,330,044 times
Good points... I was trying to point her in that direction when suggesting "Westham," but it probably wasn't meaningful to someone in Seattle.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,787,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMProf View Post
Seattle Gal:

Just need to add to the chorus above that's exactly right: city can be fine for elementary but unfortunately you run into trouble beyond that. I posted here about 2 years ago with nearly an identical question in anticipation of my move. What you may have missed in the above comments, however, is that you *can* move just over the city line into Henrico County in the near west end (roughly just past the University of Richmond). The houses are not as old as in the city, don't have the same character, but, its not a bad compromise and it is MUCH different from the suburban sprawl you'll find out toward Short Pump (the "far west end"). The schools in my neighborhood are great (Tuckahoe Elementary, Tuckahoe Middle, Freeman High) and the neighborhoods still have some character, albeit not as cool as the fan.

I agree with this. I live in the Fan, and far prefer to live in the city - no culture shock, coming from central Boston. But on the other hand, I've accepted that past elementary school the kid will have to go private.

Basically, there are 3 good elementary schools in the city, no good middle schools, and one good high school, which is probably the best school in the area, but a magnet/competitive to get into. (Maggie Walker). That said, it seems easier to get into Maggie Walker from Richmond then from Henrico or Chesterfield - the competition isn't as strong.

There are a lot of parents who live in the city who are trying to create other options, as city living in Richmond is great, ex the schools. But it isn't there yet, sadly.

No different from any other urban area I know though. Schools are what push the middle class out of cities into vinyl suburban hell. Its sad.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,537,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMProf View Post
Seattle Gal:

Do you mind providing some cross streets or a zip code? I would like to do a search for housing in the area you mention. Do I search in "Tuckahoe"?

Thanks!

Last edited by west seattle gal; 01-31-2012 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: NEW INFO

Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM

111 posts, read 242,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
I agree with this. I live in the Fan, and far prefer to live in the city - no culture shock, coming from central Boston. But on the other hand, I've accepted that past elementary school the kid will have to go private.

Basically, there are 3 good elementary schools in the city, no good middle schools, and one good high school, which is probably the best school in the area, but a magnet/competitive to get into. (Maggie Walker). That said, it seems easier to get into Maggie Walker from Richmond then from Henrico or Chesterfield - the competition isn't as strong.

There are a lot of parents who live in the city who are trying to create other options, as city living in Richmond is great, ex the schools. But it isn't there yet, sadly.

No different from any other urban area I know though. Schools are what push the middle class out of cities into vinyl suburban hell. Its sad.
This is so true. I'd love to live in the city. We lived in the near West End near Mary Munford and it's my favorite part of town. Love it so much. But we decided that we wanted kids and we just couldn't foot the $12,000/yr tuition for private school. (That's a conversative number.) I didn't want to send the kids to Mary Munford and then have to move them to a public school in a county where they didn't know anyone. I was so sad about it. I hope to move back to the city one day after my kids have flown the nest!

Bon Air is another part of town that might be a good compromise. It's across the city line in Chesterfield. The schools are great and you're maybe 10 minutes away from the city and Carytown. Lots of older neighborhoods...not as cookie-cutter as the far out suburbs.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,840 times
The tuckahoe district runs south of Patterson avenue, between three chopt and parham. I do think a few neighborhoods north of Patterson are part of tuckahoe also, though. It's all part of the 23229 zip code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond