Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 02:40 PM

120 posts, read 206,381 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my husband and I are looking to either buy or build in Midlothian this year. I am not familiar with the middle and high schools too well down there and was wondering if people could chime in and give me the low down on good middle and high schools in the area? I think I can get statistics on the academics of each school, but I was more interested in the "personality" of the schools if that makes sense.

Also, any thoughts on the new Hallsley development? Is it going to be as good as they tout it to be with the down turn in economy?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM

306 posts, read 690,111 times
Well, as an alumni of Midlothian High School, I can chime in. I moved here in 10th grade, so I never went to Midlothian Middle, but my sister did and my other sister will be going next year.

As for the HS, the school is second to none in academics. It is nationally recognized for its academics and is always one of the top schools (along with James River, Clover Hill) in the county. The school has a rep for being a "white" school or a "preppy" school. There are rarely any fights or any problems. I enjoyed the school and the teachers. It is indeed a majority "white" school and it has a lot of kids that are "preppy". Sports were never the strong suit at Midlothian (depending on the sports) so if you have a child that is looking to pursue sports beyond HS, then Midlothian probably isn't the school for them for development in that aspect. The football and basketball teams are almost always below .500 record-wise and there isn't much to cheer for. They have a top notch Cross Country squad, tennis team and track team. However, if sports do not matter for your child, then like I said academics is second to none. If I had the chance to go back, I would from 9th grade.

As for the Middle school, it has the same reputation. Very good school academically and good programs. I can't speak on much more than that but I do know my sister had a good time there and my other sister is looking forward to going.

The area in itself is a great area. Low crime, close the city and pretty much any store or restaurant you want is along the Midlothian Tnpk. The areas you may want to look at as far as housing to remain in this district would be Walton Bluff, Walton Lake, Walton Park, The Grove, Smoketree. We live in The Grove. Great neighborhood, trails, ponds, low crime, close proximity to Route 288 and Powhite.

Anything else you need to know ask away. I hope I answered some things for you and I will do my best to answer anything else

Old 03-03-2012, 04:27 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,287 times
I concur with the above poster

Moved here 3 years ago from NY. I have a daughterin 5th grade at Watkins and my twin boys are currently 8th graders at MMS. They will be entering Midlo H.S. come Sept. Nothing but positive about the area and schools so far

Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times
This is old, but conditions haven't changed that much. I would be very nervous buying at that price point in a neighborhood that isn't off the ground. I personally would buy a home in an established neighborhood or if you want to build in that price range look elsewhere, including Short Pump.

Roseland developer files for bankruptcy protection | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 AM

111 posts, read 242,061 times
Hallsley is gorgeous, but I would be concerned w/ amenities. We wanted a neighborhood with a pool and sidewalks and things like that. A place where the kids could play out on the street. We bought a house in Charter Colony and we love it. The lots are smaller than in Hallsley and I don't think there are any homes waiting to be built here. They are built out. But we bought a 6 year old home and that's new enough for us. We love the neighborhood. Our kids will go to Evergreen, Tomahawk Middle,but they will go to Midlothian High School. I know all the high schools in the area very well and you can't go wrong w/ Midlo.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 AM

120 posts, read 206,381 times
Thanks so much for posts everyone. I think that we are going to focus on the Midlothian area partly because Short Pump does not have large lots and we would get more land for our money. We are hoping to get an older home that is either updated or is priced well so that it can be updated.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 AM

111 posts, read 242,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eesmom View Post
Thanks so much for posts everyone. I think that we are going to focus on the Midlothian area partly because Short Pump does not have large lots and we would get more land for our money. We are hoping to get an older home that is either updated or is priced well so that it can be updated.
Salisbury sounds right up your alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: