Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which job would be the better choice?
State government job, $50K - Operations Analyst 6 60.00%
Genworth job, $56K, Operation Analyst 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 18,118 times

Advertisements

I have been offered two job offers recently and would like some opinions on which one I should consider more. The first job is a state of VA government job located in Richmond. The second job is with Genworth. Both position would be in Richmond and both are Operations Analyst positions. The salary for the government job is $50K and Genworth is $56K, so not that much more but Genworth would offer more growth potential being in the private sector. I currently live in Richmond so relocation would not be an issue for either job.

I am trying to decide if that the job security offered by the state job is worth giving up the higher salary and growth potential of the Genworth job. They are both in similar areas of business and have similar job responsibilities overall, involved in implementing the Federal governments healthcare act, with Genworth being more database driven and of course tied more to performance.

If anyone has any advice for me on this decision or has made a similar choice that could provide some insight I would really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has worked for Genworth and can give any type of review that would really help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,231 times
I am also deciding on taking a job in Richmond salaried at $70-80k and wondering how the living is there. How is the rental market? Are the schools good? The overall living experience I can expect. I am coming from the Midwest (Minnesota) so this would be a huge change for me and my family.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM

326 posts, read 689,539 times
@EnviousRed, I'd take that job. $70-80k in Richmond can go a real long way. What's more is that Richmond is an ever growing city. There are clear and well defined good schools, as well as bad schools in reasonably affordable areas, especially with that salary. I wouldn't be too concerned about a huge culture shock if you're coming from Minnesota, though I'd guess Richmond is slightly more fast paced than where you're coming from.

As for the OP, I choose the government job because of the health and retirement benefits that I'm assuming will be associated with it.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM

19 posts, read 36,035 times
@ Envious Red:

70-80k is a good living in Richmond. A 3br home can be rented for 1200 plus per month depending on area (mostly the suburbs). Schools are universally better in the Henrico and Chesterfield Country neighborhoods. Farther North of Richmond in Ashland (Hanover County) the schools are also well regarded. I would focus on these areas if schools are a priority. City of Richmond has a few good elementary schools but the middle and high schools are not well regarded. Average home prices in Richmond are about $220k so it is affordable.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Have you compared the benefits of each?

Looking at Genworth (GNW) financial as a company. I'd be a little cautious as there stock has dropped below the $5 mark multiple times in the last 7 months. Since the state has been strong for numerous years, I'd go for the state position.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 03-07-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,351,599 times
State job all the way. Less money, WAY better security.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob175 View Post
I have been offered two job offers recently and would like some opinions on which one I should consider more. The first job is a state of VA government job located in Richmond. The second job is with Genworth. Both position would be in Richmond and both are Operations Analyst positions. The salary for the government job is $50K and Genworth is $56K, so not that much more but Genworth would offer more growth potential being in the private sector. I currently live in Richmond so relocation would not be an issue for either job.

I am trying to decide if that the job security offered by the state job is worth giving up the higher salary and growth potential of the Genworth job. They are both in similar areas of business and have similar job responsibilities overall, involved in implementing the Federal governments healthcare act, with Genworth being more database driven and of course tied more to performance.

If anyone has any advice for me on this decision or has made a similar choice that could provide some insight I would really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has worked for Genworth and can give any type of review that would really help.
I think it depends on your personality. For me faced with the same options I'd choose Genworth 100% of the time. I'm a risk taker and I know my talents and growth potential would be curtailed at a government job.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM

65 posts, read 268,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviousRed View Post
I am also deciding on taking a job in Richmond salaried at $70-80k and wondering how the living is there. How is the rental market? Are the schools good? The overall living experience I can expect. I am coming from the Midwest (Minnesota) so this would be a huge change for me and my family.
Hope you accepted the job, $70-80k goes a long way, especially if you are able to find a home between $150-225k (depending on what you want in a house). Look at it this way, your salary is about $20-30k above most areas houshold income.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM

65 posts, read 268,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob175 View Post

Go for the state job. Job is more secure and benefits are better. For example, your family health insurance premium will cost you about $250-275/month and contribution to retirement system is minimum to none. However, the private company insurance may run up to $500-600/month, plus you will probably have to contribute to a 401k so they can match. Also, at the state job you may only work 40, maybe 45 hours per week, while the private job may require you put in 50-60 hours/week.

Wish you the best.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,231 times
Thank you all for the feedback!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: