Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times

Advertisements

What is Powhatan county like? Mix of rural and suburban? How would you describe its reputation i.e. what comes to mind when you think of the county? How does it compare to the other counties surrounding Richmond? Are there convenient shopping options for groceries and other basics? Are there many transplants in the area or mostly lifelong residents?

Are mosquitoes prevalent in Powhatan county? Any cases of West Nile there? Is heartworm prevalent in dogs? Are ticks an issue? Is it common for people or pets there to contract Lyme disease? How about dangerous snakes like copperheads or dangerous spiders like black widows - should I expect to encounter them if I move to Powhatan county?

Thanks so much for any info. you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
I'll try to answer in order of your questions:
Powhatan is mostly a rural county hidden by tree lined roads. There are very few neighborhoods and it gives very little suburban feel too it due to setbacks. There are only two main east west roads and five secondary north south roads ( there are numerous other roads, but going around the block to say make take a few miles). Its a very easy going conservative county where residents mind there own business and most people that you meet are true southern friendly. It is primarily middle to upper middle class Republicans. Farm properties are fronted by estate-like (but not McMansions) homes in 4/5ths of the county. There are a few convenient shopping options, but if you need a Whole Foods or a Nordstroms its about a 30 minute drive (there is no traffic and very few lights). There are transplants, but they follow the lead of the locals, instead of trying to make the county follow them (Henrico & Chesterfield). Most residents are lifelong.

Onto your next paragraph. I have two properties which both exceed 10 acres. One has a lake and one has a stream. Both are heavily wooded and one of them does have an open field. Mosquitoes come out in the late evening, so thats when they are an issue. We do have ticks since there are 100's of deer in the county. In two decades I haven't heard of a case any real issues related to ticks or mosquitoes. In either case yes you will have bites, but its part of country living. The county is kennel friendly and the kennel fee is $50/10 dogs per year. As to snakes and spiders, yes we have them. Spiders are more of an issue due to quantity. My dogs who have been bitten and have had allergic reactions, but not one has died or become severly ill from them. If you are a responsible pet owner then you know the regiment to follow with Heartguard in relation to heartworms. There are two responsible vet offices and both are extremely reasonable in pricing. If you have a large kennel and are unable to take your dogs in batches to the vet, then there a vet in Richmond that will come out to your property. Her van is a fully loaded vet clinic. If you raise AKC certified dogs, then there is an eye doctor that lives in the county and usually has an open clinic in the county once a year. Primarily he deals with horses. Horses are common off the main roads.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-13-2013 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: reply to deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond