Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM

17 posts, read 23,308 times

Advertisements

I am planning on relocating from NY to the Richmond area this summer. Here are some questions:

1-We have 4 young kids, so schools are important. I have been looking at both Chesterfield and Henrico counties. Are their any areas/schools in either county that we should stay away from?

2-I am an RN and am in the process of applying for jobs. Anyone know what kind of salary I'm looking at? I have my BSN and about 10 yrs experience.

3-We will be visiting the area for the first time at the end of the month to look around. Any advice as to what we should check out while there?

4- My family is not religious at all. In fact my kids aren't even baptized and we don't really agree with organized religion. I have no problem with others being religious as long as they don't try to convert us or condemn us to hell. Will this be a problem? Are non religious people looked down upon?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM

185 posts, read 536,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM320RN View Post
I am planning on relocating from NY to the Richmond area this summer. Here are some questions:

1-We have 4 young kids, so schools are important. I have been looking at both Chesterfield and Henrico counties. Are their any areas/schools in either county that we should stay away from?

2-I am an RN and am in the process of applying for jobs. Anyone know what kind of salary I'm looking at? I have my BSN and about 10 yrs experience.

3-We will be visiting the area for the first time at the end of the month to look around. Any advice as to what we should check out while there?

4- My family is not religious at all. In fact my kids aren't even baptized and we don't really agree with organized religion. I have no problem with others being religious as long as they don't try to convert us or condemn us to hell. Will this be a problem? Are non religious people looked down upon?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to RVA!
1) We settled in Chesterfield because of Midlothian Middle & Midlothian HS. Love it!
2) not sure.
3) 23113. Salisbury. Doesn't have that urban sprawl / tacky tracky feel.
4) non-issue with us. people are so friendly here. open-minded and nonjudgemental.
Have a great visit! Hope you love it as much as we do.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Thanks! Is Salisbury part of midlothian? Also are you renting? We will need to rent a house. I hope there will be nice options available! I've seen some nice ones on Craigslist, but they will be long gone by the time we need them!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM

65 posts, read 268,366 times
Nurses in this area can make between $45-65k. While nurse supervisors make around $60-80k. Both counties have good school systems, but it all depends what you're looking for on a neighborhood. About religion, it all depends; however, most people respect your opinions and beliefs.

May the Lord guide you in your endeavour.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 AM

185 posts, read 536,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM320RN View Post
Thanks! Is Salisbury part of midlothian? Also are you renting? We will need to rent a house. I hope there will be nice options available! I've seen some nice ones on Craigslist, but they will be long gone by the time we need them!
Yes, Salisbury is in Midlothian. 23113. Beattie Weaver Elementary, Midlothian Middle & Midlothian HS are the strongest schools. Go through a local realtor to find a rental. Long & Foster is reputable. There are homes for rent since the market is still sluggish. Goodluck!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 AM

418 posts, read 1,049,458 times
1. Both counties have great schools. You probably want to stay in the western portion of each for the strongest schools. From there, you have a ton of choices that will be great -just depends on where you want to be/commute etc.

2. Not sure

3. Another vote for 23113 to check out (area 64 on realtor maps)- I'm in the James River HS district and we have been thrilled with the schools all the way through.

4. We go to church, many of my friends don't. No one seems to care either way.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to visit!

Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM

32 posts, read 37,581 times
I'm single with no children so I'll let the other posters respond to those questions. However, I am a RN (MSN) with 5 years experience. I work for the government so the pay is much better compared to the private sector RN jobs in this area. My starting salary was around 65K (my MSN was not considered in that offer), you will probably not find that doing med/surg in the private sector for this area. Some of my co-workers (who have more experience than me) have worked at Bon Secours and HCA and many said they were making between 40-50K on med/surg floors.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks for that info. I haven't worked with adults for about 8 years so I def don't want med surg. My experience is with peds, specifically NICU. Are peds jobs hard to come by? Doesn't have to be NICU, just peds in general.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Also what's HCA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: