Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 AM

55 posts, read 73,678 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to relocate to the Richmond area. I'm a veteran HS teacher in Florida and wish to teach my remaining 10 years in VA. I've done some research and read several posts on this board. A few questions linger:

1) How is Richmond Community HS? (for a transferring teacher or would Jefferson/Marshall be better choices?)
2) Is education as political in VA as it is in FL (specifically, is the state test the "end-all" and unofficially prohibits teaching from a more well-rounded curriculum?)
3) VA still offers tenure - has length of time changed to obtain it - 3-4 yrs?
4) Are there plans for opening any new schools in the area? (2014-15 school year?)
5) Housing - Best areas 15-25 minutes outside of city of Richmond. Prefer single family home (3BR/2BA) w/fenced yard, as I have a dog. (preferred rental rate is $1000-$1250)
6) I've read that Chesterfield, Hanover, & Henrico are good school districts.... which district would best fit my rental budget?

Thank you so much for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 PM

689 posts, read 1,618,681 times
Hmm, I'm going to answer what I feel comfortable addressing; hopefully others will chime in. I'm student teaching in the spring, so I follow the employment market pretty carefully. Most of the counties here now let teachers know if their contracts will not be renewed by June 15 (or are moving to that schedule) so hiring new teachers has been pushed back into the summer. The market has been tight because of budget constraints, but I keep hearing there's a large number of teachers approaching or at retirement age, and there will be a hiring burst soon. Unfortunately, I have no idea when "soon" is. What I know from my teacher friends is that the application schools are the hardest to get into, and open positions usually go to teachers already in the system, so you probably wouldn't get hired right into Community. The three counties you list are better school systems than Richmond City. You'd think that would make it easier to get hired into RPS, but I have heard their processes are disorganized and it's difficult to get hired even for open positions. I do not know anyone teaching there right now; my friends have all moved out to the counties.

Both Henrico and Chesterfield are growing, and Chesterfield needs several new schools, but the meals tax did not pass in Nov., so I'm not sure what the plan is. Also, the most urgent needs is at the elementary level. I think Chesterfield may have one hs planned, but I'm not certain.

To get a sf home like that for less than $1250, you're looking at Hanover or Chesterfield. You won't find much in western Henrico in that price range. You could also look at New Kent, if you don't need to put children in public school. Check out Trulia, there's a pretty good rental range on there. You may find it difficult to find a sf home for $1250, and definitely for $1000. We're looking for what you describe, and generally for a neighborhood we'd be ok with, it's $1350-1500; for a neighborhood in a good elementary school, it's $1500 minimum. So if schools don't matter, you'll have a better range.

We're starting to see a push back against the "teaching for the test" mentality, but I just can't say whether that's impacting the delivery of instruction yet.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 PM

55 posts, read 73,678 times
Default Thank you

I appreciate the info. My daughter graduates May 23rd, so I don't need to worry about school zones, she will be in college. Good information, thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: