Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,666 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how safe/reliable the city buses are from Manchester to downtown/VCU for daily work commutes? I will be moving to Richmond from Raleigh, NC in February and was thinking about renting a loft apartment in Manchester (Stella 360 at 360 Stockton St or Manchester Motoworks at 616 Hull St). I'm going to be looking for work downtown or at VCU, and so I'd probably need to ride the bus to get over the river (after that, I don't mind walking to work, up to 2 miles one way). I've ridden the CAT buses in Raleigh for a long time (routes 2 & 11, plus a number of TTA routes) without issue, but I was wondering about the safety and reliability of the buses in Richmond. It appears that lines 62, 63, 73, and 74 service the area of Manchester that I'm considering. If I can't count on these buses, I have rental options near the Fan/Museum District to consider.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,877,327 times
I've ridden the city buses a lot around downtown, Fan/Museum Districts and to the northside. The 37, which goes through some tough neighborhoods, is one I've spent a good amount of time on and I've never had a problem. My inclination is to say you shouldn't have any problem, especially for a work commute (vs. 11pm). The bigger question will be the bus stop and frequency of the buses.

As a side note, The Fan/Museum District is a MUCH more dynamic and fun place to live with far more amenities than Manchester. There are many many more buses to choose from (you don't even need to plan if you are close to Broad), and they go more places. The southside buses are going to be more scarce in frequency and destinations, potentially forcing you to transfer if you want to go other places than downtown. Given you're moving from out of town and it sounds like you have the option, I would highly recommend moving to the Fan or Museum districts if you want an urban lifestyle. While Manchester is fine, the amenities (e.g. transportation, grocery stores, restaurants) are far more slim. I also think it's less safe at night due to lower street vibrancy, but others may disagree.

The Fan/Museum will be more expensive, and I personally like the Museum over the Fan because it's more interesting. However, both are beautiful areas.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:54 AM

689 posts, read 1,616,322 times
I'd support what AJNEOA says, and if you're living alone and want to meet people, the Fan/Museum district might have more options. My husband works in Manchester, and it's not a vibrant living area yet. Might become that, but when we drive through at night, those lofts are locked up tight.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,786,517 times
If you plan to live at one of buildings you listed, work downtown and are willing to walk "up to 2 miles one way," then you really don't even need to take the bus. Depending on where you work downtown, you'll be within 2 miles of your job.

[By the way, Stella 360 is amazing! Probably one of the most creatively constructed/designed lofts in Richmond. I can't comment on the actual community or management though.]

Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,666 times
Thanks, everyone, for your words of advice. I eventually went with Stella 360 -- it's two blocks away from a bus that goes to downtown, and as 540_804 accurately noted, a fairly easy walk to downtown as well. From Google Maps I had thought the bridge over the river would be unwalkable, but in person I noted that there is a very broad, raised sidewalk on either side, so I think it's doable. It was one of the few places that could accommodate my 4 pets, and it has concrete floors (which is very helpful). I'm not much into night life, so a locked-up loft works for me.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: