Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 9,497 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are relocating to the Richmond area. When we visited the city last month, we fell in love with the Fan and Carytown areas. We currently live in a very suburban area, but love the idea of renting a historic house that it walkable to restaurants/shops. My biggest concern is safety. I don't want to live somewhere that I don't feel safe when coming home alone at night. What can you tell me about these two areas? In particular, are there are specific borders to stay between or is it generally a pretty safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM

222 posts, read 550,370 times
That's the area where I now live. You'll love it. As far as safety goes, just stay north of the 195-Downtown Expressway and you should be fine.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
That's the area where I now live. You'll love it. As far as safety goes, just stay north of the 195-Downtown Expressway and you should be fine.
Thanks! That is good to know to narrow down our search.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
The Richmond PD should have a website where you can map the actual crimes that have occurred. Should be able to get some idea of the criminal activity.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
Very safe. I live in that area. No concerns about safety at all.

It is expensive though, (for Richmond) what's your budget?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
Even the many of the areas south of 195 have gotten nice.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Very safe. I live in that area. No concerns about safety at all.

It is expensive though, (for Richmond) what's your budget?
We realize our budget will have to be one the higher end if we decide to live in the area. We currently own our home here, but are thinking of renting in Richmond. We know the cost to buy in that area would be incredibly expensive and we don't want to be locked into the school districts. Even rent is expensive, but we are thinking of it more along the lines of paying for the "experience". We have never lived in area with a historic, urban area like Carytown/The Fan. So, we want to capitalize on it while we can.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Even the many of the areas south of 195 have gotten nice.
Are there any specific areas you would recommend?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:10 PM

689 posts, read 1,616,142 times
I would definitely rent for a while -- you may find you want to buy in another area of the city. I would definitely check out Ginter Park/Bellevue. I also like Bryan Park. We also really like Westover Hills, which is just across the river from downtown. You might not want to rent there right now, but it's a beautiful residential area. If you don't have to worry about schools, living within the city is great. And most of it is really quite safe. Richmond has a bad reputation for crime, but in a lot of ways it's gotten better, and serious crime is often limited to specific areas. Of course there are exceptions, but in general, most of the city is safe. Here's a real estate Web site I really like because it offers a lot of description of the neighborhoods. You can also look by specific neighborhoods, which is nice when you're trying to learn about the area. Also, if you click on any of the neighborhoods, and scroll down once you're on that page, there are more detailed searches on the right navigation bar. A box will pop up asking you to register, but there's a small "No Thanks" on there, so I just click out. Richmond VA MLS |

Old 02-04-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline_R View Post
Are there any specific areas you would recommend?
Sorry about the typos - anything north of 195 to broad in fan/museum. Byrd park (south of 195, west of meadow) and carillon.

They are all well worth living in, people leave usually because of being forced out by school issues post elementary school, not because they don't like the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: