Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:59 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,516,599 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty surprised the ACC tournament hasn't been held in Richmond. You have UVA just up the road in Charlottesville (best team in the ACC ATM), the Research Triangle two and a half hours southwest in North Carolina (UNC, Duke, NC State), Virginia Tech not terribly far, etc. Also located along the Atlantic Coast, obviously. This could easily benefit the area, they could possibly hold the tournament in the Richmond Coliseum. I understand Greensboro usually holds the tournament, but why isn't it held in Virginia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 03:58 AM

153 posts, read 174,717 times
Hello.

The ACC was founded in Greensboro. A majority of charter members were the North Carolina schools: Duke, NC State, UNC, and Wake Forest. Even though the ACC has expanded north over the past decade, its legacy has remained Tobacco Road.

Now, the ACC is locking in future tournament venues in Washington and New York City that are notably larger and more profit-yielding than anything Richmond could offer.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:50 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,700,450 times
Sadly, Richmond demonstrated that we aren't up to the task of hosting the tournament.
I believe that it was about 10 years ago that we hosted it (or something similar) and what the national TV crews captured was complete ineptitude. The basketball court surface was placed over top of the ice hockey ice (back when the Renegades existed) which is pretty common. The good people at the Coliseum however didn't adjust the temperature of the room and condensation formed on the floor during the games. Players were sliding all over the place live on TV.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:07 AM

97 posts, read 189,915 times
Spencer 114,

You are correct. Richmond held a Big 10 v. ACC challenge game with U.Va. (and I think Michigan State). It was a disaster with the ice melt.

Also....people don't realize it, but the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville is almost twice as large as Siegel (14K v. 8K), so Siegel makes no sense. For a conference tournament, you've got to have a large basketball arena. I don't think Richmond has a basketball facility large enough to host the ACC Tournament. Considering U.Va. sold out half its home games this year and Duke/UNC/NCSU are only 2 hours away, you would need at least a 20K type venue for the ACC Tournament at a minimum. Greensboro seats 23K for basketball, Richmond Coliseum only seats 12K.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:51 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,516,599 times
They usually hold the ACC Tournament in Greensboro, Charlotte, DC, or Atlanta. I always thought Richmond would have been in there, but I guess the city itself isn't as big as the others (excluding Greensboro) and doesn't hold a sizeable arena.

Although NC is obviously big time ACC country (Tobacco Road), VA is right on up there these days. UVA is a charter member, and of course Virginia Tech is in the picture these days. Even South Carolina (Clemson, USC) and Georgia (Georgia Tech, UGA) are divided between ACC and SEC. NC and VA are all ACC. Also, shame about Maryland leaving the conference. Some of these schools they're adding like Notre Dame and Louisville don't make a ton of sense, even Syracuse and Boston College are quite far from the bulk of the ACC schools. However, I guess geography doesn't matter anymore.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:24 PM

553 posts, read 621,382 times
With the size of the Richmond Coliseum (relative to other venues in the region), it is better suited for smaller conference tournament events. The Coliseum had a 24-year run as the host venue of the CAA Men's Basketball tournament (1990-2013), and is the current site of the A-10 Women's Basketball tourney.

As far as the conference arms race goes...why worry about geography when you can make money and/or expand your influence? In the case of ND, their joining the ACC included an agreement for their independent football team to play at least 4 ACC schools each year (this year it will be six) -- that's typically at least 1 or 2 opportunities for ACC schools to have their teams on national TV (see ND football TV deal) when they otherwise wouldn't be there.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 PM

797 posts, read 1,437,638 times
Really Bro you've got to stop these type of threads lol

Old 03-10-2015, 10:13 AM

210 posts, read 419,636 times
I wonder if Richmond could still do a decent job with the CAA tourney. Only two VA schools are in that league now (W&M, JMU) but the crowds look to be a lot lower in Baltimore than when that tournament was in Richmond.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 PM

690 posts, read 1,013,758 times
Default CAA commissioner wants tournament to stay in Baltimore

BALTIMORE: CAA commissioner wants tournament to stay in Baltimore | College Men's Basketball | The State
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff22152 View Post
Now, the ACC is locking in future tournament venues in Washington and New York City that are notably larger and more profit-yielding
The league's three-year agreement with Baltimore expires after the 2016 tournament. Yeager intends to meet with city officials and representatives of the Royal Farms Arena to discuss lengthening the commitment. "We hope to get it done before June," Yeager said. "I believe there is a foundation in place to sustain a long-term relationship."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
but the crowds look to be a lot lower in Baltimore than when that tournament was in Richmond.
Looking around at the empty upper deck Monday night, Yeager conceded, "I'd like more fans to be here." He expects attendance to swell after the tournament grows roots in Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
However, I guess geography doesn't matter anymore.
and he's still adamant that the location is perfect for a league that extends from Massachusetts to South Carolina (geography matters)

"It's easy to get here, and once you're here there's a lot to do within walking distance of the city center," Yeager said.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:16 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,267,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'm pretty surprised the ACC tournament hasn't been held in Richmond. You have UVA just up the road in Charlottesville (best team in the ACC ATM), the Research Triangle two and a half hours southwest in North Carolina (UNC, Duke, NC State), Virginia Tech not terribly far, etc. Also located along the Atlantic Coast, obviously. This could easily benefit the area, they could possibly hold the tournament in the Richmond Coliseum. I understand Greensboro usually holds the tournament, but why isn't it held in Virginia?
Richmond Coliseum isn't big enough, and it is also probably too old; I think it was built in the early 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond