Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:03 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,731 times

Advertisements

When I first saw the proposals for the Shockoe Bottom ballpark and the accompanying development projects, it seemed like a complete slam dunk to me. It looked like exactly what Richmond needed in exactly the right spot. It would bring further vibrancy and life to that area of the city, and would have the potential to spark further development down the road. It would also be a community asset that would draw positive attention to Richmond and have genuine appeal to out of town visitors. Not being from the Richmond area, I was kind of shocked at the way it completely flamed out. The reasons for shooting it down didn't even seem to make a lot of sense.

Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or insights on the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:30 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
The bottom location was a pipe dream of the current mayor and never supported by city council or any other community in the region. Shockoe Bottom is know as a night life area, residence for young professionals and has a strong significance in the cities history. Difficult to get to, limited in parking and offering little that a family going to a ball game would be interested in the location is everything you don't want for a venue.

Most support was for the boulevard location but the mayor dismissed what everyone recommended. Outside interests offered to build a facility on the boulevard but the mayor turned that down. Richmond city chose to proceed on their path by themselves with no agreed upon support or sharing of authority from the counties and that's where this project is today

It was implied that a new stadium was coming and I think that was a factor in the team relocating here. Millions have been spent on the Redskins facility which is used how little each year? A baseball park would have gotten much more use and would be accessable to a far larger percentage of the region then the select few who are able to attend the Redskins camp.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:47 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,731 times
An historic nightlife area full of young professionals...these sound like positives to me. I understand there could be some parking issues, but that's true of countless sports venues across America, and they all still work and attract fans and families. As a fan, I'd much rather attend a game in Kenmore Square than Foxborough. Atmosphere counts, and is a big part of the live sports experience, IMO. Also, from a tourism standpoint, a ballpark in Shockoe would be a draw for visitors. A ballpark on the Boulevard would definitely not be (at least for people like me).

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
An historic nightlife area full of young professionals...these sound like positives to me. I understand there could be some parking issues, but that's true of countless sports venues across America, and they all still work and attract fans and families. As a fan, I'd much rather attend a game in Kenmore Square than Foxborough. Atmosphere counts, and is a big part of the live sports experience, IMO. Also, from a tourism standpoint, a ballpark in Shockoe would be a draw for visitors. A ballpark on the Boulevard would definitely not be (at least for people like me).
Having lived in Boston I fully see your point but Richmond is not Boston, the bottom is not the heart of the city the way Kenmore Square is to Back Bay. Comparing Kenmore Square to Foxboro would be more like comparing the bottom to Short Pump, not the Boulevard.

From a construction standpoint the plan appeared to pi** everyone off from existing residents, businesses and historic groups to most people in general other than the mayor and a few of his cronies no one was in support. The bottom is known for restaurants and places to go at night and the city has often seemed that it wish's the nightlife would go away, maybe that was his plan. The Boulevard area is redeveloping with Scotts Addition becoming a popular destination along with Newtowne West. The current location allows good interstate access and ties in well with Sports Backer, Ashe Arena (which needs rebuilding) and the Redskins Facility just down the road. If the area continues to grow a ball park in the middle would become a centerpiece to the region and might even replicate that neighborhood park feel that Fenway provides for you.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:30 PM

283 posts, read 653,071 times
I suggest that supporters of the new stadium drive through Richmond and look at many of the city schools. They are old, dilapidated and falling apart. The city of Richmond does not have the funding to build the new stadium that everyone wants. The squirrels have some of the highest attendance figures in the Eastern League so where exactly is it that they will relocate to? I suspect that they are making money in Richmond and want to make even more with a new stadium. Good for them, I am all for them making money. They put on a great show and are excellent neighbors. My point is that they are a private corporation and it is not fair that the city needs to subsidize them in order for them to stay in town.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:31 PM

Paying for a training facility for the Redskins who are the richest football franchise was a bigger travesty. As for school conditions in the city years of poor leadership and corruption are the root of that issue.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:18 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,686,133 times
School funding is a non-issue with regards to the ballpark. Revenue streams for the two are completely independent of each other.

The problem with Richmond schools is that the city is supporting roughly the same number of school buildings that it did way back during peak population. 1/3 of the schools need to be shuttered. City Council doesn't have the will to shut them down and parents are very protective of their local schools ("don't close mine and don't let those other kids come sully my child's experience").

The Bottom is a perfect location for the stadium. It is no less accessible than the current location and parking is included in the plans (and even without the proposed deck there is ample parking if whiners wouldn't object to walking a few blocks, even up a hill that only a first world debutant could consider too steep).

The status quo leaves both the Bottom and the Boulevard under developed suppressing vital revenue (which in turn hurts the schools, but again until they start closing unnecessary schools, I find it hard to care).

Without something akin to the ballpark, the Bottom will go underdeveloped for another 40 years. The necessary infrastructure upgrades ensure that private development cannot happen without significant public funding. Perhaps the time to act has passed. Lending will never be as inexpensive as it was a few years ago.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:59 AM

97 posts, read 189,038 times
spencer114,

Words of wisdom. I agree that so much of the educational deficit in Richmond is caused by nostalgia. The city keeps too many schools open. You could close 1/4 to 1/3 of the schools and use those savings to really reinvigorate the remaining schools.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:15 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,530 times
As a city resident, I liked the shockoe idea (because Fenway). But I also like the idea of seeing not one cent of my tax dollars go to the baseball stadium.

It's mainly used by county residents, let them provide the stadium. If baseball leaves it won't affect the things people in Richmond actually care about at all. And given their attendance numbers another team will move here quickly in any case

Old 06-19-2015, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 5,721 times
Shockoe Bottom is in a flood plain that was devastated by Hurricane Gaston in 2004. Unfortunately, no significant private developer has been willing to invest in the 10-block area ravaged by Gaston because much of the area is within the floodplain. Without a massive public project like the ballpark that can in part address floodplain issue then the status quo will persist. Which means the large surface parking lots will remain. This is a waste of land that could otherwise provide a great deal of tax revenue to the city of Richmond - while simultaneously freeing up the current Boulevard location for market rate development that would also rake in tax revenues.

The most recent ballpark plan for Shockoe bottom also would have brought a new 60,000SF Kroger, a hotel and more residential density. It also provided for a Slavery Heritage site that would have brought more attention/visitors to Lumpkin's Jail, the Slave burial grounds and IIRC also created a trail that would have connected to the Canal Walk.

There are tradeoffs with every plan. But this plan seemed quite positive to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: