Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 07:27 AM

9 posts, read 17,146 times

Advertisements

Posted this in the general Virginia page. We're leaning towards the Richmond area. Here is a bit more detail about us and our needs below. Of the 4, which would you think suits us best? What neighborhoods would be good and are there any areas to stay away from? Any other similar areas aside the 4 in the area worth looking at? We'll be visiting in February. Thanks!!

When are you moving? Summer 2016

Where are you coming from? NYC

Why are you moving? Apartment living is no longer for our family. We want a state/area that is good for raising children (3mo, 3yr and 11yrs), excellent schools and things for all of to do together and individually. VA is appealing to us on initial research as its voted one of the best states for teachers. My wife is currently a tenured teacher in NYC who also just recently received her license to be a Principal or AP.

Where will you be working? I would from home, wife in the school system as hopefully an Administrator but would start off as a teacher if needed.

Have you been here yet? I have only driven through, but we plan to visit in Feb '16.

Will you buy or rent? BUY
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House. Looking to spend around 350k but we may be able to go up to 400k if we get EVERYTHING we are looking for. 4br, min 2200 sq ft. .25 lot.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes - Backyard!!
Are you keeping a car? Yes, 2
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet, but not secluded.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work / Schools since wife would work in school system
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Pool Hall (I play competitively)

Additional Info/Questions

We are pretty laid back for NYC. I'm originally from NYC and my wife is from Indiana originally. We are not Religious but are respectful of others and their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 08:02 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
I would recommend Midlothian, Mechanicsville, and the Far West End of Henrico. Schools are excellent in all three and your budget is realistic. You will get more bang for your buck in Midlothian and Mechanicscille, but Far West End is more convenient for shopping. After elementary school, you have more options in Midlothian and the Far West End than in Mechanicsville if that is important.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:59 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
I don't believe any of them are bad choices for you, though you'll probably find you have a preference. But I'd go for the job, then pick based on that, even though Richmond traffic isn't bad

Old 11-23-2015, 10:11 AM

We'd probably be OK with no more than a 30 minute commute. How's the traffic from Midlothian to Richmond? West Henrico to Richmond? During "rush hour"?

Old 11-23-2015, 11:26 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpny75 View Post
We'd probably be OK with no more than a 30 minute commute. How's the traffic from Midlothian to Richmond? West Henrico to Richmond? During "rush hour"?
They are both about 22 minutes to downtown Richmond minus the rush hour effect.

However, why are you asking about commuting downtown? I though the wife was looking for a school system job in the suburbs, and the husband worked from home.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:32 AM

Yes, that is correct. However, we're guessing getting a job directly in the school system of our would be neighborhood could be harder than getting a position directly in the city. Not so much harder, but there are probably more opportunities in the city schools. At least this is what we've seen from current job postings.

She's going to be looking for a Administrator's job. If nothing available, she has been a certified Biology teacher for over 10 years.

When I said "we" I really meant she. I'd be working from home and only commuting to getting the little ones to day care.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:04 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpny75 View Post
Yes, that is correct. However, we're guessing getting a job directly in the school system of our would be neighborhood could be harder than getting a position directly in the city.
OK. I haven't worked in Richmond for many years, but living in Glen Allen would give you the easiest commute into Richmond versus the other locations.

From Moseley or Midlothian you would have the 288 highway to get to the West End. To get to downtown Richmond you have to cross one of the more congested bridges or use the Powhite Parkway which has tolls.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the info golden!

We're going to visit in February, most likely staying in Midlothian. We plan on waking up early and seeing what the drive into the city is like!

Old 10-04-2019, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
rjpny75, its been almost 4 yrs, did you move!? What city did you end up in? My familiar is in a similar boat as yours was and have our hearts set on a move to central VA. We have visited... my only concern is the commute into Richmond (likely from Moseley)

Last edited by Green312; 10-04-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-06-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green312 View Post
rjpny75, its been almost 4 yrs, did you move!? What city did you end up in? My familiar is in a similar boat as yours was and have our hearts set on a move to central VA. We have visited... my only concern is the commute into Richmond (likely from Moseley)
We ended up staying in NYC and instead built a vacation home in the Poconos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond