Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,512 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional relocating to RVA, and I need apartment recommendations. I'm looking for an apartment in a nice area with upper-middle class young professionals. I want a more "preppy" environment .(NOT artsy) Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:34 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,416 times
Fan/museum district. Though your articulated categories overlap perfectly geographically in the young professional category. Its around 35 you get some divergence.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:19 AM

6 posts, read 7,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSCharles12 View Post
I'm a young professional relocating to RVA, and I need apartment recommendations. I'm looking for an apartment in a nice area with upper-middle class young professionals. I want a more "preppy" environment .(NOT artsy) Any recommendations?

I too am searching for rentals that meet this criteria. Where is the best place to search for rentals? Zillow seems to be hit or miss.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:26 PM

21 posts, read 20,452 times
Sorry, but I disagree with Charlesaf3 regarding the Fan District. I love the Fan, lived there for years, but the OP specified "preppy" and "not artsy". I don't think he'd like the Fan. My best guess would be the far West End / Short Pump / Glen Allen 23059 area.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,359 times
Haha, I'm going to disagree with both of you. While Short Pump is certainly preppy, it's a bit far. I think Tobacco Row/Shockoe Bottom is where you'll find many young professionals, specifically attorneys, young doctors/med students and financial professionals. Yes, you're kind of in the middle of things, but that means you're also adjacent to Richmond's CBD, restaurants, recreation, etc. Plus unlike the Fan (which is definitely artsy) you can count on finding those premium amenities like granite counter tops, hvac, inclusive gyms/pools, rooftop terraces etc. The Fan has its charm, but you generally have to buy or pay substantially if you want the nice upgrades you can find in Shockoe or even Manchester.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:54 AM

21 posts, read 20,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Haha, I'm going to disagree with both of you. While Short Pump is certainly preppy, it's a bit far. I think Tobacco Row/Shockoe Bottom is where you'll find many young professionals, specifically attorneys, young doctors/med students and financial professionals. Yes, you're kind of in the middle of things, but that means you're also adjacent to Richmond's CBD, restaurants, recreation, etc. Plus unlike the Fan (which is definitely artsy) you can count on finding those premium amenities like granite counter tops, hvac, inclusive gyms/pools, rooftop terraces etc. The Fan has its charm, but you generally have to buy or pay substantially if you want the nice upgrades you can find in Shockoe or even Manchester.
Ha! Well, we really don't disagree entirely if you consider that I was only referring to the prospect of the OP living in the Fan. Shockoe is a different animal altogether and, yes, he may indeed like that area. But as for "it's a bit far".... far from what? The OP didn't indicate where he'd be working or attending school.

So, OP, I guess the question comes back to you: Do you prefer an upscale urban environment or the suburbs? And, where will you be commuting to?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joealso View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with Charlesaf3 regarding the Fan District. I love the Fan, lived there for years, but the OP specified "preppy" and "not artsy". I don't think he'd like the Fan. My best guess would be the far West End / Short Pump / Glen Allen 23059 area.
The far west end is not the slightest bit preppy. Nor is short pump, nor glen allen. You are unlikely to find a prep school graduate in any of those places. In fact they are abomination. Preppy starts again in parts of Manakin-Sabot.

FWIW, I went to prep school, and am intimately familiar with the preppy world. Shockoe? sure, possible. But it's Fan/museum until 35 then Libbie/grove/river road.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
While that has a lot of truth (though not entirely, I've been in a million places in fan with granite/hvac etc, it's condos not complexes), that's yuppie, not preppie. There's venn diagram overlap, but they are not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: