Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 6,477 times

Advertisements

We will be transferring to the Colonial Heights area for work in the next month. Where would be a good place to live near that area? We will most likely be renting for the first two years. The most we would like to commute would be 15-25 minutes. We have a daughter that is elementary age that would be going to school as well. Cost of living is not really an issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,817,193 times
With such a short commute look at Chester or Colonial Heights. You can look at Chesterfield (Midlothian is in Chesterfield fwiw), but your commute will be longer. Try to be as near to 288 as possible.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,784,294 times
Do you want an urban or suburban life?

Old 06-18-2016, 07:27 AM

5,858 posts, read 5,669,363 times
Living in the Boulevard district offers the best QOL in the Heights. It isn't hyper-urban, but is as urban as it gets in Colonial Heights and has the best accessibility to shopping, dining, recreation, and events. It is a straight line to Old Towne (Downtown) Petersburg, just across the King Bridge, which is the true cultural heart of the Tri-Cities. The Boulevard is extremely livable, low-crime, good schools, quiet, but also quaint, walkable, and entertaining...

If you'd rather live outside CH--which has its shortcomings--it is important to understand the lifestyle you all desire. A 25-minute commute northwards puts you comfortably within South Richmond, if you have interest in living within the city, as Boulevard turns into Jeff Davis and runs right into Richmond (Downtown Petersburg to the Southside along this route is only a ~20-minute drive in normal traffic). It also puts you in circumferenice of Midlothian, Chester, Prince George, etc. So your lifestyle preference is important to completely answer your question...

For my money, unless you prefer living in Richmond, Downtown Petersburg trumps everywhere else in the 25-minute window, and it isn't particularly close. I'd also prefer living off the Boulevard to anywhere in Chester...

Old 06-20-2016, 06:06 AM

7 posts, read 6,477 times
I would say suburban for our preference. Good schools are also a factor. We would like to live in a house or townhouse/duplex rather than an apartment. Thanks

Old 06-20-2016, 09:02 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,127,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Boulevard turns into Jeff Davis and runs right into Richmond (Downtown Petersburg to the Southside along this route is only a ~20-minute drive in normal traffic). It also puts you in circumferenice of Midlothian, Chester, Prince George, etc. So your lifestyle preference is important to completely answer your question...

For my money, unless you prefer living in Richmond, Downtown Petersburg trumps everywhere else in the 25-minute window, and it isn't particularly close. I'd also prefer living off the Boulevard to anywhere in Chester...
The OP has a child in elementary school, so I would rule out downtown Petersburg for terrible schools. However, Matoaca Elementary, with a Petersburg address in Chesterfield County gets decent reviews. The other Colonial Heights City public schools are also average or better. If the OP is willing to travel further, I suggest Chester or Midlothian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond