Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:37 PM

12 posts, read 11,861 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone I'm David H MacDonald, We are relocating from Arizona to Richmond to accept a teaching position at VCU. I have twin boy and girl that will be finishing high school home school this coming year. We are and interracial couple. We would like to know what to expect in cost of living we would like to start out renting a 3 bed townhouse or single family home. We want a diverse neighborhood, with shopping mall, and of course safe low crime rate, friendly any ideas? what does rent look like in VA for safe/low crime area that is diverse and easy commute. I know this is probably a tall order LOL. I am an African American male, my wife is Puerto Rican, we love embracing all races and would like the same in return.
I've hear from a friend who use to live in
Va that 15 years ago Henrico County police was not as friendly toward African American and their was a lot of racial profiling. Has this changed is this still and issue in the county? We do have two upcoming young adults. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods drug and crime free or low crime(zip codes) and travel time during rush hour from and to the university?? Best county to live in??

David MacDonald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 11:36 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Just a friendly suggestion that you not use your real name (if it is) on any chat forums.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:50 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,849 times
Richmond and it's counties are reasonably priced. Henrico is the closest to VCU. But since they're home schooled there is no reason you couldn't live in the city of Richmond. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:41 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
(Western) Henrico is a great place to live, and the side you'd want for working at VCU anyways. I seriously wouldn't worry about racial profiling here. EVERYBODY lives here! White, Black, Mexican, Indian everybody. A lot of this part of the county (myself included) are Northeast transplants so a interracial couple wouldn't even get a second look.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:56 PM

368 posts, read 454,174 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/richm...mond-area.html

this is a older similar thread with more replies, just copy n paste into the search bar.

Chesterfield county is the best in the metropolitan area for what your looking for: diverse (with the majority of the metro's PR population), integrated, mostly middle class.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:01 AM

626 posts, read 381,171 times
People from the south are used to being around different races

No, you won't have and problems due to race!

I think Henrico is the perfect place

Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
Interracial couples have been prevelent in Virginia for decades. You won't have any problems at all. VCU is incredibly diverse (ethnically and economically) too.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:59 AM

485 posts, read 690,236 times
Chesterfield area as well (near Chesterfield Towne Center easy commute in) - just tolls to downtown but rent in Chesterfield should be cheaper and would compensate for that.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:23 PM

107 posts, read 121,924 times
Wow. You want to move from AZ to Richmond? Why? I used to live in AZ. If I could find a job out there, I'd go in a heartbeat. If it's because you need this job, I can see it...but if you have options, I'd stay put. The weather is so much nicer there and while hardly perfect, the drivers are light years better there too. If you hate stupid/obnoxious drivers, be prepared to be driven insane here. The class of people is also far higher there IMO, at least it was when I was there, and truckloads of litter EVERYWHERE wasn't a thing.....etc....

As I said in another thread, IMO, VA (including Richmond) is one of those places which looks great on paper. The reality is very different. Long term, you might consider checking Hampton Roads, which is one of the most "diverse" places in the country and probably has better job opps on the whole.

Re. VCU, "the university" is basically mingled throughout a section of the city FYI. It's not like there's really a campus you go to. Doesn't have a college feel at all to it IMO, which isn't necessarily bad, depending on your point of view.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe5 View Post
Wow. You want to move from AZ to Richmond? Why? I used to live in AZ. If I could find a job out there, I'd go in a heartbeat. If it's because you need this job, I can see it...but if you have options, I'd stay put. The weather is so much nicer there and while hardly perfect, the drivers are light years better there too. If you hate stupid/obnoxious drivers, be prepared to be driven insane here. The class of people is also far higher there IMO, at least it was when I was there, and truckloads of litter EVERYWHERE wasn't a thing.....etc....

As I said in another thread, IMO, VA (including Richmond) is one of those places which looks great on paper. The reality is very different. Long term, you might consider checking Hampton Roads, which is one of the most "diverse" places in the country and probably has better job opps on the whole.

Re. VCU, "the university" is basically mingled throughout a section of the city FYI. It's not like there's really a campus you go to. Doesn't have a college feel at all to it IMO, which isn't necessarily bad, depending on your point of view.
Note: many people completely disagree with this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond