Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 25,414 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend has a job offer in Richmond, VA that starts immediately after graduation May 2008. I've been researching surrounding areas and was wondering if anyone else could provide any advice on safe affordable neighborhoods that aren't in the middle of nowhere. We'd like to start with an apt (that allows our two small dogs) but will consider looking at houses if we decide to stay in VA long term. Safety is our main concern, but we're both really young, paying back college loans, and would like to also stay away from snobby areas.

So far, I've read that Shockoe Slip and Schokoe Bottom are good areas, but can't find information on them. Also, chesterfield, mechanicsville, and sandston are good areas. The west end of Henrico county and Short pump are good, but stay away from the north end. Can anyone confirm or argue with this? Are there specific streets/zip codes that I should look into or stay away from?

What are good places for social life on weekends? Is it possible to find an affordable apartment (approx $800 per month) that's located in a safe neighborhood and less than 15 min commute for groceries or night life? Also, I am a freelance photographer and tutor. Any suggestions on where I should set up an office? I'm currently looking into spaces close the university and downtown.

We'll be visiting Richmond next weekend, so any advice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by KM1121; 03-27-2008 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 27,795 times
If you are looking for convenience - look in the Fan district (23221, 23220). It is in the middle of just about everything - cafes, small-but-popular bars, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. It is safe, reasonably priced, and the people are friendly. There isn't much in the way of backyards for your pets but it is a very animal-friendly area with lots of places to go for walks and dog parks. The downfall is parking. It's 99% parallel parking but there are some landlords who offer off-street with the rent. I'm 24, have 2 dogs, paying student loans, etc. and really enjoy the Fan life.

The Slip and Bottom are aimed more towards night life. They are located at the far east end of downtown so traffic and parking are issues. I chose not to move there because there it has a higher crime rate and is not animal-friendly. When go want to go to the dance clubs or bars in Richmond that's where to go but I don't recommend living down there. They have some nice restaurants and it's pretty historic but if you have a car, you can get there in less than 20 minutes from pretty much anywhere. From what you describe, this is not the place to move.

The West End... Henrico county (23229, 23228) This is the area I would recommend for long-term living. If you were to buy a house, etc. It's very safe and friendly. I grew up in Henrico and would chose to live there if I were ready to buy a house and settle down. Don't get it confused with Short Pump! Short Pump is the far west end and it's considered the ritzy/snobby area. It's pretty new and still growing. Great place for shopping if you've got the money but is the most expensive area in Richmond.

As far as Chesterfield goes... I could take it or leave it. It's got very nice areas and then it's got the slums. What's strange is that they are all mixed up. You can drive down the street and go through the ghetto and the nice areas several times each within 20 minutes. It's a longer commute to the night life in Richmond and isn't quite as safe as the west end.

Bottom line, if you move to the Fan you will meet people of all kinds and learn your way around in no time. Its got everything BUT is not the place to buy a house. If you want to buy a house, go for the West End but not Short Pump. The west end is minutes from the fan and a short hike to downtown.

Hope this helps!!! Sorry it turned into a novel. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 25,414 times
Thanks so much for reply. I didn't know I'd get so much information in just one post. I've been researching the Fan District and will definitely visit the area when I go to Richmond this weekend.

Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 9,276 times
The west end and far west end (Only about 4 miles apart) will give you all of that- apartments are plentiful and starter size to mansion homes exist all over the area. Get on 64 heading east and you are in the middle of downtown within 12 minutes or so.

Living downtown is cool if you are young (Which you are) but (decent) housing is getting expensive there, so if you don't need to walk everywhere, don't move there. The south side is nice but you'll feel detached as a young couple. The north side does have scary neighborhoods, but that's the new cool and hip place in Richmond to buy an old home and fix it up. Schools aren't great in that area, but by time all of that (Marriage and kids) happens for you guys, you would be buying a newer, bigger home anyway that was in a better area for raising kids. That probably seems like a long way off right now.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,995 times
Is living in the Carytown (Richmond, VA) area safe?

Last edited by graduate12345; 08-11-2011 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: mistake

Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,780,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graduate12345 View Post
Is living in the Carytown (Richmond, VA) area safe?
Yes. Quite safe

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM

From the description of OP, I'd recommend the Fan, Museum District, Byrd Park, or Church Hill areas. Pick the one that feels like it fits.

As an aside, Short Pump is not the most expensive area in Richmond. Not even close. It is predominantly middle and lower-upper middle class subdivision housing - say 4-500k. Monument Avenue or the near West End of the City it is not.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:47 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,701,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
From the description of OP, I'd recommend the Fan, Museum District, Byrd Park, or Church Hill areas. Pick the one that feels like it fits.

As an aside, Short Pump is not the most expensive area in Richmond. Not even close. It is predominantly middle and lower-upper middle class subdivision housing - say 4-500k. Monument Avenue or the near West End of the City it is not.
Never heard of the lower-upper middle class. IMO there are large pockets of Short Pump which are solidly upper-middle class (highly educated, graduate degrees, 6-figure + incomes). That is why the SOLs for the Short Pump schools are among the highest in the state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_middle_class

Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Never heard of the lower-upper middle class. IMO there are large pockets of Short Pump which are solidly upper-middle class (highly educated, graduate degrees, 6-figure + incomes). That is why the SOLs for the Short Pump schools are among the highest in the state.

Upper middle class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia is a good place to start research, but I wouldn't use it as a cite for obvious reasons... That said that's a pretty good article.

There's a tendency to divide class structures in threes. You could then, and its often done, further subdivide the subdivisions. No idea why 3 is what's chosen, but it seems to work intuitively.

I'm trying to point out the useful distinction between Short Pump, and areas like the Fan/River Road/Windsor Farms/Libbie Grove/UR area, Near west end, where the Richmond Upper-upper middle class lives. And yeah, there's a distinction. 500k is a cheap house, with things going up to 1.3 million. School is usually private. Vacations are different, consumption patterns are different, etc. etc. Some might call those areas wealthy, but my distinction between wealth and upper middle class is whether you work for your money, or your money works for you.

Put a different way, the Upper Middle class with less money tends to live in Short Pump and Midlothian. The Upper Middle Class with more money tends to live in and around the City of Richmond (startling as that may be to many people's perceptions).

Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,701,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Wikipedia is a good place to start research, but I wouldn't use it as a cite for obvious reasons... That said that's a pretty good article.

There's a tendency to divide class structures in threes. You could then, and its often done, further subdivide the subdivisions. No idea why 3 is what's chosen, but it seems to work intuitively.

I'm trying to point out the useful distinction between Short Pump, and areas like the Fan/River Road/Windsor Farms/Libbie Grove/UR area, Near west end, where the Richmond Upper-upper middle class lives. And yeah, there's a distinction. 500k is a cheap house, with things going up to 1.3 million. School is usually private. Vacations are different, consumption patterns are different, etc. etc. Some might call those areas wealthy, but my distinction between wealth and upper middle class is whether you work for your money, or your money works for you.

Put a different way, the Upper Middle class with less money tends to live in Short Pump and Midlothian. The Upper Middle Class with more money tends to live in and around the City of Richmond (startling as that may be to many people's perceptions).
Have you ever driven through Wyndham? There are tons of upper middle class with wealth and they even use the public schools (top ranked elementary in the state is in Wyndham). Saying Wyndham/Grey Oaks/Henley/Cross Creek/Fox Hall/Barrington, etc. aren't solidly upper middle class is silly. Also, there's a ton of wealth in Goochland. People with wealth don't automatically gravitate to the near West End.

Would love to see some data to back up your "facts".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond