Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 8,290 times

Advertisements

Hi all!!

My husband and I are planning to make the leap from Columbia, MD to the Richmond area. My husband will be commuting to DC for work. Because of timing and circumstance, we arent quite ready to purchase a home, so we are looking to rent an apartment first and then purchase a home by the end of the year.

From what we have read, Hanover, Henrico County and the Midlothian areas would be great options to purchase a home. So an apartment in those areas maybe best. We are looking in a price range of $750-$1000. We have 2 toddlers so a 2 bd/2 bth would work.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:34 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,318,220 times
For commuting to DC, I'd recommend areas north of Richmond... part of Henrico and Hanover would make much more sense than Midlothian.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:17 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,961 times
If your husband is commuting to DC, you really need to be at least as far north as Fredericksburg (more posts in the Northern VA forum), and even that is a rough commute. Check Craig's List and Military By Owner for rentals, and if you are not able to find anything, come back to the boards and you should be able to get some recommendations.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,421 times
I don't want to tell you not to move to Richmond, but the commute to DC (if daily) is brutal. I had a house in Arlington and one in Richmond for years, and went back-and-forth. Fortunately for me, my work schedule was flexible. I looked at places in-between (like Fredericksburg, Stafford, etc.) and wasn't happy with that option, either. I commuted until I retired, but I cannot recommend it.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 PM

92 posts, read 254,809 times
With your husband planning on commuting to D.C. you should at least look as far north as Frederickburg. Even if you have to pay more for an apartment, you'd probably save more in the long run since gas prices are so high. With traffic I'd imagine the commute from Richmond to D.C. would be 2.5 hours each way.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 PM

Post ....

we dont want to move to fredericksburg or northern va. from what i understand its kinda crowded and we cant afford northern va. we are coming from columbia maryland and hubby has convinced me he would be fine...lol--we'll see. i suspect he will be looking to move jobs w/n a year. luckily he is in IT so, as soon as he's done getting all of his certifications (the job pays for it), i think his mind set will change.

anyhoo, ive seen a lot of different apartments on craigslist, so i needed help narrowing the list down.

we are also looking at caroline county. its closer to 301 and its an hour to get to maryland and there are several commuter buses that leave from la plata and st mary's county.

so if any of you lovely folks have any recs that would be cool. i appreciate the advice about the commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
If your husband is commuting to DC, you really need to be at least as far north as Fredericksburg (more posts in the Northern VA forum), and even that is a rough commute. Check Craig's List and Military By Owner for rentals, and if you are not able to find anything, come back to the boards and you should be able to get some recommendations.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM

Default yup

i finally found my map and noticed that. im hoping we can narrow down a location soon. im nervous and excited at the same time. we were contemplating a move to PA but i wasnt very excited at the bigger picture.

with the commute and the adjustment, i think we are going to like this change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
For commuting to DC, I'd recommend areas north of Richmond... part of Henrico and Hanover would make much more sense than Midlothian.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Default luckily...

hubby will be teleworking. his director is a proponent of it and hubby has shown that he can handle his own without being in the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
I don't want to tell you not to move to Richmond, but the commute to DC (if daily) is brutal. I had a house in Arlington and one in Richmond for years, and went back-and-forth. Fortunately for me, my work schedule was flexible. I looked at places in-between (like Fredericksburg, Stafford, etc.) and wasn't happy with that option, either. I commuted until I retired, but I cannot recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond